Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Open Source DIY Model 3 Console Wrap Template

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a set of center console vinyl covers in the matrix pattern, and installed them, quite liked the look. Today I purchased a used cricut maker for vinyl cutting, and went down to a couple of vinyl dealers, found some fun material, a black pattern called cocoon and four different colors of red. I have also downloaded the patterns for door switch wraps from Kenriko's github spot (Thanks @Kenriko), and tomorrow I thought I would try cutting them out with the cricut. I have already translated the files from PDF to JPEG for the cricut. Any cricut experts have any words of advice for a complete cricut neophyte? Additionally, I watched the installation video, I never did see where he installed the circle with the three line E symbol. Kenriko didn't publish the "what part goes where" pattern sheet with the rest of the Github, but I think I can puzzle out the locations from the video, all but the circle with the E lines.

Next question. Has anyone published patterns for the Tesla symbols sized for the chrome Tesla symbols on the car? There is the front T, the back T, the T on the two side cameras, the T on the four wheels, and the T on the steering wheel. I bought red T symbols for the front and back (red on my black obsidian car, I think it looks nice) from one of the online stores. I now have my own red vinyl material , would like to cut my own with the cricut. rather than buying this kit
https://www.amazon.com/EV-Wraps-Tes...1539836222&sr=8-4&keywords=tesla+decals+vinyl
I want to tinker with my own vinyl, because the red vinyl arch on the front decal keeps popping up.

I also put brushed black decals on my door handles, not the whole wrap, just the flat decals which shows just a bit of chrome around the outside edge. Is that pattern published?
Last question. I may end up peeling off my current "matrix" vinyl off of the console, and replacing it with cocoon, depending how it looks with my tinkering. Anything I should watch out for when removing vinyl off the center console areas? Warm vinyl or cold?

Got my Cricut up and running, cut out a set of door wraps out of scrap vinyl, just to see if it would work. Now I can cut it out of my cocoon black, and see how it works. Still puzzling on what the circle with the Tesla E is for. I found a copy of the tesla T, I think I might just scale the image to a dozen sizes and play with them to find a size that works for all the outer Tesla Ts that I want to put on my car.

Ok, cut with cricut, installed on a nice chilly evening (fall in Utah). Turned out fairly good. Has anyone else had a problem with the edge of the vinyl on the window switch covers catching on a fingertip when you pull on the switch? Is there a reason that the switch covers don’t wrap around the front of the window switch? And can anyone tell me where the circle with the three lines of the Tesla E goes?
BF6172A1-9EA1-4B71-BE24-E918A2610430.jpeg
FF592666-8C5D-4939-8E61-A2B760271E28.jpeg
2D2D0023-C990-4C62-9059-D7AD8335F797.jpeg

CCEA8C0C-AA6D-4DAB-9A0E-6BB58C695157.jpeg

I added extra length to the window switch wraps so they curl over the front of the switches for better adhesion, less chance to peel up.
Trying to decide if I should put a different color label on the door latches. (White? Red?). People keep fumbling around trying to find how to open the door.

Attachments

• FBE8D87A-4990-4B0F-ACD5-C4D14EEA2179.jpeg
    FBE8D87A-4990-4B0F-ACD5-C4D14EEA2179.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 74
I added extra length to the window switch wraps so they curl over the front of the switches for better adhesion, less chance to peel up.
Trying to decide if I should put a different color label on the door latches. (White? Red?). People keep fumbling around trying to find how to open the door.

All Door kits since ~last month also have longer switch covers.

Decided I needed to give a little color change for just the door switches. Found a deep red brushed look, thought I would give it a try. Looks nice against the cocoon black.

Attachments

• D4E0AE67-B91B-4F7D-A214-3E359FF6D04C.jpeg
    D4E0AE67-B91B-4F7D-A214-3E359FF6D04C.jpeg
    298.3 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: Skione65
@rvandrew,

Looks great! Love the brushed red...especially the deep red color. Can I ask where you purchased the wrap?

Ski
I bought it at a local Salt Lake City vinyl shop, Vinyl Outlet. $3.00 for a 12”x24” sheet. I left the material at work, I will check tomorrow to see if there a brand name on the back of the vinyl. The thing I like about the deep red color is that it is a subdued but noticeable color, unlike some reds that basically say “Don't Touch This!!”
I just checked, vinyl outlet has a web presence, Brushed Red 12" x 24"

Installed my center console kit yesterday and some edges around the corner holder and center disagree appears to be lifting. Any tips on getting it to stay down?

The most common reasons for it to lift:

1) The backing got contaminated during install (oils from the skin, dust, dirt etc..)
2) The wrap was over stretched in a localized area. (when heated the material will try to contract back to original form and pull it up)
3) There was existing residue on the surface (oils, cleaners etc)

Reactions: Jimmy 1