Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions on 6-seat + 2nd row console config?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have the 6 seater with console for a family of 4 including elementary school kids. We had equal time in both setups while our model X was in the SC. Wife initially preferred the open space. Kids definitely like the console as arm rest and cup holders. They rarely use the storage; that's the one part I was disappointed about - too shallow to be useful.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
We just got the 6 seater without console... Wasn't much of a choice for us since we bought an inventory car to take advantage of the discount and to get the car faster. That being said, we're very happy with the 6 seater... easy to get in and out of third row without having to move the second row seats and we prefer the utility of not having a console vs having a non-removable console. The ideal solution would have been to have a removable console but I'm hoping that someone comes up with a solution sooner or later... also would have been nice if the second row seats had built in armrests.

Reactions: 365gtb4
I bought a 6 seater w/ console. It makes the second row that much more functional for the passengers - and comfortable. Quite a bit of storage and of course the arm rest that makes the seats feel complete.

The seats pull forward enough for the seats in the rear. And, in the end I would do anything humanly possible to avoid putting people that I like in the 3rd row. They are much better than most with this option, but certainly w/o kids in my house, a back up plan for those rare occasions were I have a lot of people to transport.

Can a 6-seat car be driven with the second row seats in their entry position to maximize cargo space?

Eg, Assume you have a six seater, and no passengers, and want to maximize cargo space for something large / long. What happens when you move the seats to their entry position (like if you want to access the 3rd row) by using the side button, then close the FWD and start driving? Do the seats return to their neutral positions, crushing your cargo? Does the FWD refuse to close? Does the car refuse to drive? Does it beep repeatedly? Or do you get a bit of extra space for cargo?

Can a 6-seat car be driven with the second row seats in their entry position to maximize cargo space?

Eg, Assume you have a six seater, and no passengers, and want to maximize cargo space for something large / long. What happens when you move the seats to their entry position (like if you want to access the 3rd row) by using the side button, then close the FWD and start driving? Do the seats return to their neutral positions, crushing your cargo? Does the FWD refuse to close? Does the car refuse to drive? Does it beep repeatedly? Or do you get a bit of extra space for cargo?
I thought the 'easy entry' actually moved the corresponding first row seat forward a bit also. (That's what the original X delivery video shows, but those are bit out of date.) No idea what happens when you attempt to put it in Drive or does closing the door reset it?

Over a year with a 6 seater and no console. Can't compare since it wasn't available when we got our X, but the 6 seater is great. Feels very open and the lack of console makes it easy for kids and adults to reach the third row via the middle since we have 2 car seats in the second row at all times.

I thought the 'easy entry' actually moved the corresponding first row seat forward a bit also. (That's what the original X delivery video shows, but those are bit out of date.) No idea what happens when you attempt to put it in Drive or does closing the door reset it?

it does. Although, it will stay in that position, and annoy you with notifications with the onscreen status of the seats being in this position - its not really a viable driving mode...

it does. Although, it will stay in that position, and annoy you with notifications with the onscreen status of the seats being in this position - its not really a viable driving mode...

Yeah, the screen will nag you that the car should not be driven if the seat is OCCUPIED while in that position. But it lets you drive. The nag can be quickly dismissed, but seems to return any time when switching from gears(Park, Reverse, Drive) and needs to be re-dismissed. It's a bit annoying that with the nag screen up the rear camera view doesn't function.

anyone with small children who can tell me how well the 6 seater is with a car seat in the back? i'm having a hard time dedicing between the 6 seater and the 7 seater.

I test drove a 6 seater with the console and the console made it very hard to get in and out of the 3rd row. Haven't seen how easy the 6 seater without the console would be but I want to be able to get kids in and our easily and to be honest, the 2nd row makes it harder to get into the 3rd row and seems definitely more cramped. I'm more interested in seeing how car seats fit there.

I have a six-seater without console and 3 small kids(all under age 5). Rear facing seats will NOT fit in the 3rd row, so if you have more than 2 kids rear facing then the six-seater is impossible for you. Assuming you can put at least one kid front facing(either in a harness or a booster) the third row seems to work well. I'd probably go without the console, as that gives flexibility to the third row child to exit on either side - sometimes it's more or less convenient to slide one of the two middle row seats forward depending on whether you've got booster/harness/infant seats in place. I haven't seen the console in person, but I think a child who has to sit in the 3rd row all the time would get annoyed with the closed of feel of having the console there.

That being said, I'm not sure whether or not six-seater is best for a family of five. It seems to work for me, but I always wonder whether 7-seat or 5-seat would have been better. Cargo space is pretty limited when you take a road trip in a six-seater with a family of 5 because you can only fold one of the rear seats down(and even then, the cargo encroaches on some of the space that the 3rd row child would like to have). The middle seat in a 5-seater or 7-seater is truly awful for a full size adult, but I think it would probably be ok for a small child or even a good place for an infant car seat.

I have a six-seater without console and 3 small kids(all under age 5). Rear facing seats will NOT fit in the 3rd row, so if you have more than 2 kids rear facing then the six-seater is impossible for you. Assuming you can put at least one kid front facing(either in a harness or a booster) the third row seems to work well. I'd probably go without the console, as that gives flexibility to the third row child to exit on either side - sometimes it's more or less convenient to slide one of the two middle row seats forward depending on whether you've got booster/harness/infant seats in place. I haven't seen the console in person, but I think a child who has to sit in the 3rd row all the time would get annoyed with the closed of feel of having the console there.

That being said, I'm not sure whether or not six-seater is best for a family of five. It seems to work for me, but I always wonder whether 7-seat or 5-seat would have been better. Cargo space is pretty limited when you take a road trip in a six-seater with a family of 5 because you can only fold one of the rear seats down(and even then, the cargo encroaches on some of the space that the 3rd row child would like to have). The middle seat in a 5-seater or 7-seater is truly awful for a full size adult, but I think it would probably be ok for a small child or even a good place for an infant car seat.

I don't find the middle seat in my 5 seater awful at all, but I'm only 5'7". Maybe if you're 5'10"or more, then it becomes a problem.

Anyone discover a 6 seat, 2nd row, aftermarket console or the like? I just bought the X100D, sans console, which I think I prefer, but I also think it might be nice to slip something in for armrest and drink holding on long trips. But I don't think I would want it permanent. I was thinking that now they have done away with the console, an aftermarket product might pop up?

Anyone discover a 6 seat, 2nd row, aftermarket console or the like? I just bought the X100D, sans console, which I think I prefer, but I also think it might be nice to slip something in for armrest and drink holding on long trips. But I don't think I would want it permanent. I was thinking that now they have done away with the console, an aftermarket product might pop up?

Following. I too have a 6 seat without console and we are about to go on a road trip and I fear that my kids are going to get annoyed without any armrest.

I much prefer the cargo room of a five seater with the two underfloor storage areas available. Since the car does not come with a cargo cover like most SUV's it becomes even more important for valuables like laptops.

Eventually I expect Tesla to come out with a 6 seater with folding 2nd row. Many cars have that today like my Highlander Platinum. And true Captain's seats should have folding armrests anyway. Would also like to see oh hell handles front and rear, especially for a performance car like the P100D.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Oh and this is a good time to point out the usefullness of a camera bases rear view mirror. I know I can put that on center console but I am speaking of the camera screen taking the place of the rearview mirror. 5 and 7 and to a degree 6 seater configs have unacceptable rear views with mirror.

6-seaters make the best "people" carriers, 5 & 7 seaters are better for a mix of cargo and people, 7 being a bit more flexible. We went with a 7 seater with 2 kids under 10. Works well with child seats in the 2nd row outer seats and the middle seat is useful at times for a 5th passenger. We've never used the 3rd row seats yet, but could be useful at some point in the future. Being able to fully fold the second row is very useful too. No regrets.

Reactions: BulldogsRus

I'd like to find an after market console for the front seats. I think this is the most useless console I've ever seen, literally no place to put all the stuff I want next to me on a trip.

I drove a friend home from the hospital the other day. She insisted in using my vehicle sitting in the back seat (six seater with a console) after pushing the front seat as far forward as it would go. We had the problem a lot of rear seats have for someone with limited mobility, not so much room to swing the leg through. Once in she road in the normal position. After some 15 miles she swung her leg over the console next to her. That was also not great, so she ended up swinging her leg one way then the other for 75 miles. If I had the 5 for 7 seater she would have been much more comfortable. Even with the 6 seater with no console she would have been better off.

Just a thought.

We put a refrigerator/freezer in the space between the seats and that works as an arm rest. Very convenient on long trips. We remove it when not traveling.

I'd prefer the 5-seater as the 7 will never get used under any circumstance but am looking at CPO which makes them impossible to find. Only because we have a dog whose bed goes on the bench seat when we go away and putting it all the way in the back makes little sense, although having the rear air vents is convenient!

MX 6 seat no counsel owner.

Would highly recommend this configuration due to options availible. ( with this config, you can still buy a middle console aftermarket if you so should choose ) granted this product usually runs 600$ but its interchangeable.

Personally i like NOT having it, for easier access to the third row/trunk we keep 3rd row down 99% of time anyway, just feels so much more roomier.

So if your hesitate consider aftermarket as an option.