Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opted-Out of FSD Beta, Version 2022.12.3.20

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Friends. Just a quick update about a reply I received from Tesla Service about Autopilot reliability. I made a Service request on July 10,2022 asking for a check of FSD Beta and the rest of Autopilot on my 2019 Model S Dual Motor Long Range equipped with the Full Self Driving Package because of repeated erratic behavior. The car mileage is 16,663 miles. Software Version is 2022.12.3.20. Issues are the self-steering "hunting" for position most notably during gentle curves at routine speed limits, usually 65mph; too much delay to respond to vehicles in front of me slowing down rapidly which if I didn't intercede would require extreme braking or maybe collision; initiating lane changes without waiting for driver confirmation even though my setting require confirmation; and the usual phantom braking, missing traffic control devices, and speed limit errors. At first a home service appointment was scheduled. However, the following day I received a lengthy email which explained in detail that both FSD Beta, Enhanced Autopilot, and Autopilot were not fully autonomous, that all could make the "worst possible mistakes at the worst possible moments", and they all required extreme driver involvement and supervision if a driver wished to use any of the features. The warning included Adaptive Cruise Control, Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot, Navigation on Autopilot, and Autosteering regardless of whether it's FSD Beta on non-FSD.
Tesla Service also sent me a weblink to the Tesla Support page for all the Autopilot functions. Everything was extremely useful information.
After some careful thought, I Opted Out of FSD Beta, reviewed all my Settings and disabled all the features related to Autopilot to try to prevent them from activating without my permission. Then I did a "hard" reboot by changing tire size for a moment and then restoring the correct size and wheel combination and will do a camera re-calibration again when I take the car out for a drive tomorrow. I'll write again after I see what happens next.
Curious, does anyone know if Opting Out of FSD Beta allows the radar unit for the adaptive speed control to start working again?
I've shared this experience only because I hope all of us have the best chance of staying safe and healthy while enjoying our Tesla vehicles. I remain optimistic that one day they will get this thing to work!

Last edited by a moderator:
...Curious, does anyone know if Opting Out of FSD Beta allows the radar unit for the adaptive speed control to start working again?...
As soon as you are no longer in FSD Beta, your radar would work immediately. You can confirm by the cruise speed increased to 90 MPH. And while on a working cruise (like you are behind a car in front), just turn off your lights and the cruise still works (radar does'nt require lights to work).

AutoSteer does require light at night to see the lane markers whether you have radar or not, so that's not what we test out for. Test your cruise only and without Autosteer even with your light off.

As soon as you are no longer in FSD Beta, your radar would work immediately. You can confirm by the cruise speed increased to 90 MPH. And while on a working cruise (like you are behind a car in front), just turn off your lights and the cruise still works (radar does'nt require lights to work).

AutoSteer does require light at night to see the lane markers whether you have radar or not, so that's not what we test out for. Test your cruise only and without Autosteer even with your light off.
I liked this answer up until “just turn off your lights” when behind another car. 😂 Unless they know you and what you’re doing, this sounds like it’s going to freak that other driver out or just reinforce their view of snobby Tesla owners when they realize who was blinking headlights from behind.

I'm sending a quick report on my 2019 Model S Autopilot's performance, software version 2022.12.3.20, after opting out of FSD Beta both by switching it off in my Settings and sending Tesla an email message. I drove about eighty miles today in moderate traffic on U.S. 101 on the Central Coast of California. Autopilot worked safely and dependably. No phantom braking, no "twitchy" steering, and it maintained consistent following distances with traffic. There were no unexpected lane changes and it did not act confused when the number of lanes changed or the road widened or narrowed due to on ramps and off ramps. I will continue to exercise great care when using Autopilot but it's genuinely nice to have this working again.

Hi Friends. Just a quick update about a reply I received from Tesla Service about Autopilot reliability. I made a Service request on July 10,2022 asking for a check of FSD Beta and the rest of Autopilot on my 2019 Model S Dual Motor Long Range equipped with the Full Self Driving Package because of repeated erratic behavior. The car mileage is 16,663 miles. Software Version is 2022.12.3.20. Issues are the self-steering "hunting" for position most notably during gentle curves at routine speed limits, usually 65mph; too much delay to respond to vehicles in front of me slowing down rapidly which if I didn't intercede would require extreme braking or maybe collision; initiating lane changes without waiting for driver confirmation even though my setting require confirmation; and the usual phantom braking, missing traffic control devices, and speed limit errors. At first a home service appointment was scheduled. However, the following day I received a lengthy email which explained in detail that both FSD Beta, Enhanced Autopilot, and Autopilot were not fully autonomous, that all could make the "worst possible mistakes at the worst possible moments", and they all required extreme driver involvement and supervision if a driver wished to use any of the features. The warning included Adaptive Cruise Control, Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot, Navigation on Autopilot, and Autosteering regardless of whether it's FSD Beta on non-FSD.
Tesla Service also sent me a weblink to the Tesla Support page for all the Autopilot functions. Everything was extremely useful information.
After some careful thought, I Opted Out of FSD Beta, reviewed all my Settings and disabled all the features related to Autopilot to try to prevent them from activating without my permission. Then I did a "hard" reboot by changing tire size for a moment and then restoring the correct size and wheel combination and will do a camera re-calibration again when I take the car out for a drive tomorrow. I'll write again after I see what happens next.
Curious, does anyone know if Opting Out of FSD Beta allows the radar unit for the adaptive speed control to start working again?
I've shared this experience only because I hope all of us have the best chance of staying safe and healthy while enjoying our Tesla vehicles. I remain optimistic that one day they will get this thing to work!
I don't know why Tesla didn't literally build a small town specifically for testing Autopilot/FSD and not rely on their paying customers. There would be no risks because robots could be used instead of humans and so on.

I don't know why Tesla didn't literally build a small town specifically for testing Autopilot/FSD and not rely on their paying customers. There would be no risks because robots could be used instead of humans and so on.
Becase a controlled course is just that, UNDER control and it would reenforce the way engineers "believe" FSD should work. Also how does a faux "Mayberry" controlled corse help me since I live in the middle of a city? No small town has 5 lane one way streets with cars/trucks/construction blocking lanes and dozens of VRUs coming/going in all directions. Too many edge cases that a controlled course can NEVER come close to duplicating. Better to do it the way they are by taking real world cases and then running thousands of simulations on them.

I'm happy, frustrated, surprised and almost all emotions to test Beta.

Last edited: