Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Options for Wall Connector wiring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You might want to consider running 6-2 w ground Romex, and using a 50 amp breaker. Then you could use the Wall Connector to charge at up to 40 amps. Running the Romex through the attic would be a lot more economical than a conduit run.

If you have an electrician do the job, please ask him to downsize your well pump 50 amp breaker. That is way too high an amperage circuit breaker for any well pump.

Jack

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
You might want to consider running 6-2 w ground Romex, and using a 50 amp breaker. Then you could use the Wall Connector to charge at up to 40 amps. Running the Romex through the attic would be a lot more economical than a conduit run.

If you have an electrician do the job, please ask him to downsize your well pump 50 amp breaker. That is way too high an amperage circuit breaker for any well pump.

Jack
Don’t run Romex.
Do it right. Or hire someone that will.

Reactions: Yelobird
There’s nothing inherently wrong with romex, but if I’m spending all that money, I’d rather have the full capacity of the charger. 6/2 MC cable is a decent alternative IMO. I personally find it easier to work with since the wires inside the romex sheath tend to have much thicker strands and are harder to manipulate than the 6 awg thhn or xhhw that tends to be found within the MC bundles

Reactions: Tropical Jack

My well pump is 600 ft down the hole, so it does pull a fair bit of current i imagine.
Question — you mention 50 amp breaker… I seemed to have seen reports of people running full 48 amps over 6-2 Romex on the 60 amp breaker. Are there additional conditions to that configuration?

Update: nvm I see the 6-2 nm-b rated for 55 and the 80% of that is 44 so the wc will have to run at 40amp draw…
6-2 mc is interesting option, but then i would have to route it in the open rather than behind the drywall, wouldn’t I?

Last edited:
Romex not rated 90C

THHN #6 is what the wall charger should be using.
I hear you. This here is what amazon sells under southwire brand
Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 1.22.20 PM.jpeg.png

The description says 90 C. Would I still use the 55 when adjusted for 60C?

The MC cable is a good choice. I only recommended the Romex as an alternative that is more economical. Also, I am not sure how much more amperage your system can support.

I live in the mountains, and my 3 hp well pump is 720’ down the well. It is on a 30 amp breaker. That is why I was concerned to see your well pump on a 50 amp breaker.

Jack