Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order before March 1 or wait until end of Q1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What you describe is basically what we did. Hell, we've even paid our next 6-months premium in advance even though it doesn't expire until the 10th. The issue is that I can get a current card even with the VIN but not a future card because that policy hasn't yet started. It doesn't yet exist. Nor should it need to because it's unreasonable for Tesla to require 60-days worth of proof of insurance (for a car we don't even yet own, mind you) on a car we're paying cash for.

So I had a single document that showed the new car on the ID card as valid and current but only until the 10th. I had another document showing the had already been renewed for the next 6-month-period but because of us already having renewed it and it not yet being current, it still only showed the other two vehicles. This means we literally didn't have a single document that a bot could scan to confirm basic VIN and date window.

Instead, we had to speak to a human who had the power (not an easy task w/Tesla on a normal day, let alone last day of the quarter) to look at two documents and do the complex math of 1+1=2 when their automated system was only s/u to look for 2... even though 2 was only required for leased or financed transactions. 1 was MORE than enough for cash purchases... but this same system doesn't differentiate between the two types of purchases for proof-of-insurance requirements.

This was a silly and needless exercise in futility that almost cost Tesla one sale for the quarter. I'm not so self-important that I don't realize the fallacy in that statement as they wouldn't have noticed a -1 on their final tally. If you're trying to apply my anecdotal experience to the total then you also need to apply some sort of multiplier of how many others were in a similar boat. That's a much larger number and every minute was clearly priceless for Tesla on Saturday.

Lost time is lost money and their goal at the corporate level should be to fix incidents just like this before they ever happen, for their own profit margins even if they don't care about the customer service aspect.
I’m not sure why, but the app only asked me to upload proof of current insurance. They didn’t even care that my new VIN wasn’t listed. So I never really needed the ID card my insurance company sent me.

Reactions: ucmndd
Didn’t even think about those! Yeah I will cancel and wait
Yeah, that was my motivation to rush and complete the purchase yesterday. Had I waited one more day, I would have lost a $2K paint credit, 5K supercharger miles, one year premium connectivity, and free FSD transfer from the M3 I traded in. And, the price went up $1K (even factoring in the current inventory discounts).

I didn’t end up buying a y. Part of me definitely wonders what kind of shenanigans will be in store after Tesla reports earnings. I’m willing to wait even longer or not buy one at all. I have a newer 3 that will get the job done for 90% of our needs.

Reactions: El joe and DrIlyich
I didn’t end up buying a y. Part of me definitely wonders what kind of shenanigans will be in store after Tesla reports earnings. I’m willing to wait even longer or not buy one at all. I have a newer 3 that will get the job done for 90% of our needs.

I think it largely depends on how well the Honda Prologue is received as well as the Macan EV. Albeit both will sell very well.

I think the aggressive incentives will continue. I wish they'd do more for trade ins (Only $17K for my '19 SR 3 :( )

I think it largely depends on how well the Honda Prologue is received as well as the Macan EV. Albeit both will sell very well.

Not sure but don't think either get the fed credit so hard to compete w/ price. Mach E is the only other EV ?

I think the aggressive incentives will continue. I wish they'd do more for trade ins (Only $17K for my '19 SR 3 :( )

Not sure but don't think either get the fed credit so hard to compete w/ price. Mach E is the only other EV ?

The Prologue will be eligible for the full $7500, it's a Honda stylized & tuned version of the Chevy Blazer EV. The Macan is not on the eligibility list.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
The Prologue will be eligible for the full $7500, it's a Honda stylized & tuned version of the Chevy Blazer EV.

GTK. Hope they don't do dealer BS.

I just dealt with the crap for '24 Civic but got them to below MSRP (but took a hit on trade in) Atleast with TSLA I know they're not flipping for a profit.

I would worry about Chevy reliability vs Honda, but curious who's doing the QA?

Reactions: Skavatar

I just dealt with the crap for '24 Civic but got them to below MSRP (but took a hit on trade in) Atleast with TSLA I know they're not flipping for a profit.

You can bank dealers will be charging a premium for the Prologue and I'm sure Porsche Macan EV will also sell out. It will be interesting to see how Tesla fares in 3 to 4 years from now.. Honda, Porsche, Hyndai will all be in the game and not to mention the possible arrival of BYD on American soil by 2030.

Reactions: Skavatar
You can bank dealers will be charging a premium for the Prologue and I'm sure Porsche Macan EV will also sell out. It will be interesting to see how Tesla fares in 3 to 4 years from now.. Honda, Porsche, Hyndai will all be in the game and not to mention the possible arrival of BYD on American soil by 2030.

I'll stick to TSLA then. Their software is years ahead of the game. Network (even though it's open now) etcHope they improve their service to match.

HMC is good but their dealers suck too.

I always look at it this way, if you took a hit on your trade did you really get it under msrp? What did you pay for civic ?

I'll stick to TSLA then. Their software is years ahead of the game. Network (even though it's open now) etcHope they improve their service to match.

HMC is good but their dealers suck too.
This is my second Tesla. I shopped around and the competition did not sway me from the Y. I didn't see the Macan or Prologue in person, but I know Porsche is grossly overpriced right now, reminds me of Tesla in 2022, and Honda has already confirmed they are separating from GM so no thanks on that either. With the current deals on Y, I think it positions me well for a early trade-in, maybe late 2025 to mid 2026. Likely I'll be trading in for a Juniper Plaid.

Reactions: vickh
For sure they will. The depreciation factor is another concern with buying new. The tax credit and huge discounts are a must. Even then the depreciation will be unkind

i think the 1st year curve is fine, given what we're seeing with people trading for about even (with incentives+credits) . I keep cars for a while so moot point and don't have state incentives

Cheapest LR is back to $45k or 10% off. Very close to what it was at the end of Match.

End of Q2 will be just as crazy for MY.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240402_232137_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402_232137_Firefox.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 12
Cheapest LR is back to $45k or 10% off. Very close to what it was at the end of Match.

End of Q2 will be just as crazy for MY.
I’m not looking because I don’t want to know. I made my informed decision to buy at the end of Q1 and am very pleased with the car and the deal. After 2.5 months of checking prices daily and waiting for the best deal of Q1, then jumping in a day early at 11% and switching the next morning to the car I preferred at 12%, I’m done and don’t care what happens to prices in Q2. Seeing the delivery center being a crazy madhouse on the last day of the sales month while they delivered 70+ cars in one day suggests many consumers are aware of the end of quarter deal cycle and were holding out. I’ll start caring about Q2 and beyond if we decided to get another MY, but I’ll probably be waiting until Juniper is readily available as discounted inventory cars.