Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order hold automatically removed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These Tesla reps handling the delivery process during the end of the QTR of the year are making the Tesla buying experience chaotic and unpleasant. I've decided to cancel my order. I'm not fooling myself, I'm sure Tesla won't miss me. They have enough customers waiting to purchase their vehicles. LOL

Reactions: calciox10
I spoke with Tesla a few weeks back and two different advisors told me that Tesla will no longer allow holds to carry into the new year. Another advisor stated that Tesla was getting fed up with order holds ever since the BBB bill and tax rebate incentives made it difficult to allocate cars to the stores for delivery.

Last edited:
I spoke with Tesla a few weeks back and two different advisors told me that Tesla will no longer allow holds to carry into the new year. Another advisor stated that Tesla was getting fed up with order holds ever since the BBB bill and tax rebate incentives made it difficult to allocate cars to the stores for delivery.
There was no hold on my order. I also have no concerns about the BBB incentives since I don’t qualify with the current income restrictions. My concern is about providing me the VIN number late afternoon today and expect me to be ready to pickup the vehicle the next day. The MVOA document even states the customer has 3 days to schedule and pickup the vehicle. My three days would fall n 01/03/2022. Tesla delivery is closed on January 1 and 2 for the holiday weekend.

This is all mute in my case since I’ve already cancelled my order. Wishing you all a better experience during your delivery process. Happy Holidays!

I'm now thinking they did this to prevent some of us (like me) from hitting "I'm ready" today so I could try to get to the front of the "invisible queue" of people coming off hold on Jan 1.
I was going to hit it late on the 31st because I wasn't sure what 'on hold until 1/1' meant. I didn't want to go in on 1/1 and find my order had been cancelled since I hadn't pushed the 'I'm Ready' button before the hold ended.

So far this morning I'm still TBD. I'm in no hurry, the longer the better; I'd love to have an EDD of April or May pop up. I've seen speculation that the biggest backup is with the white, so maybe that's in my favor.

Reactions: Kenfucius
Well, here's an update. Since my hold had been removed and I was seeing these stories about being asked to take delivery in a day I figured I'd call ahead of time and change my financing--I had originally selected cash. When I called I was told my order still actually on hold until the 2nd. He also told me I didn't actually have to push the button, it would just roll off naturally. So I don't know what the deal is, maybe for folks who are going to

Well, here's an update. Since my hold had been removed and I was seeing these stories about being asked to take delivery in a day I figured I'd call ahead of time and change my financing--I had originally selected cash. When I called I was told my order still actually on hold until the 2nd. He also told me I didn't actually have to push the button, it would just roll off naturally. So I don't know what the deal is, maybe for folks who are going to
Ahhh that’s interesting someone else in one of the Facebooks groups mentioned something similar when he called in. Maybe they just changed how holds are displayed in the customer facing account page. We should know more tomorrow as many had holds expiring on 12/31.

Reactions: Wigan
My SA told me the same thing. Showing no hold on my end, EDD 12/27-31. SA shows a hold that releases on 1/2 (since the delivery center is closed on NYD, he says). I buy another theory I saw here that they’re trying to prevent people from ‘gaming the system’ by releasing early to jump the queue.

The other thing he said when I'd said I don't want to be one of those 'you have 24 hours to arrange everything and pick up your car' people is that if I passed on the VIN then I WOULD get put to the back of the line. So from that I infer that when you go on hold you retain some sort of priority or status from your original order date or something so a car may come up relative quickly when you come off, but if that you refuse that first 'offer' you will then go to the back of the line.

And to be honest that seems pretty fair to me all the way around. The only thing I'd maybe tweak is make sure people realize that when they push the 'I'm ready' button that they fully understand that that means no-kidding they're ready to take delivery. not just ready to start getting ready. Have your financing ready and have your insurance ready and be available.

Reactions: nomorefuel
The other thing he said when I'd said I don't want to be one of those 'you have 24 hours to arrange everything and pick up your car' people is that if I passed on the VIN then I WOULD get put to the back of the line. So from that I infer that when you go on hold you retain some sort of priority or status from your original order date or something so a car may come up relative quickly when you come off, but if that you refuse that first 'offer' you will then go to the back of the line.

And to be honest that seems pretty fair to me all the way around. The only thing I'd maybe tweak is make sure people realize that when they push the 'I'm ready' button that they fully understand that that means no-kidding they're ready to take delivery. not just ready to start getting ready. Have your financing ready and have your insurance ready and be available.
Transparency would make this so much better. So many conflicting answers from SAs, makes me think they’re pulling them out of thin air.

I had to pass on a VIN because I’m out of town and out of range of their drop-off delivery. If my hold means my Nov 10th order gets bumped to March despite clearly communicating my availability and asking fair questions of my SA, I’m going to be pretty pissed.

Reactions: ajayrg
Those of you will order holds set to expire on 12/31 or 1/1, check your account. It seems like Tesla is automatically removing holds in advance of the hold expiration date. I am seeing TBD for the EDD. from other threads this is happening to other people.

I figured we could discuss EDDs and delivery since we are approaching the end of the year with many people trying to delay delivery due to holiday travel and potential EV tax credits. Hopefully for those that are unable to take delivery due to travel are not pushed to do it in the next 3 days.
Wrong. They will push delivery to your house if you are “traveling”

Original EDD with upon ordering was January 3rd to January 31st. So Tesla just texted me again after assigning a VIN. They want me to get the loan and insurance taken care by delivery date on 12-30-2021. I called Tesla to ask if they were kidding? They want me to be ready to pickup the vehicle with the loan approval all within a 16 hour time window? I asked them if they are willing to drop the car at my home and I'll sign the documents on the app. Apparently that is not an option. I told them to release the VIN and I'll wait for another vehicle when they're not in such a rush to push me out in this QTR. I also made an appointment to check out the Lucid Air next week. LOL
They aren’t kidding and are happy to sell your car to another customer in line. Depending on your order date they may also “auto-cancel” your order

Transparency would make this so much better. So many conflicting answers from SAs, makes me think they’re pulling them out of thin air.

I had to pass on a VIN because I’m out of town and out of range of their drop-off delivery. If my hold means my Nov 10th order gets bumped to March despite clearly communicating my availability and asking fair questions of my SA, I’m going to be pretty pissed.
I always thought you automatically went to the back of the line when you came off hold so year, some more clarity would be better. From the way he put it to me it was pretty obvious to me they're getting fed up with people using the hold to attempt to manipulate the tax credit and he launched into his 'the credit's not coming any time soon' spiel until I turned that off.

You got a VIN on the 26th, then went on hold, and now have been notified you're bumped off, all within four days? Since in reality you're probably still on hold maybe you should call them now and explain all you need is the hold to remain valid until Jan 15 or whatever, whenever you're back. My original hold is still good, so hopefully yours is too. You're probably getting caught up in all this tax credit mess too, so if you call and give them the real scoop that you'll be back and ready to go on Day X you'll probably be ok. You're clearly not trying to manipulate the system, just need a minor delay until whenever you're back.

Reactions: Heintzer
You got a VIN on the 26th, then went on hold, and now have been notified you're bumped off, all within four days? Since in reality you're probably still on hold maybe you should call them now and explain all you need is the hold to remain valid until Jan 15 or whatever, whenever you're back. My original hold is still good, so hopefully yours is too. You're probably getting caught up in all this tax credit mess too, so if you call and give them the real scoop that you'll be back and ready to go on Day X you'll probably be ok. You're clearly not trying to manipulate the system, just need a minor delay until whenever you're back.
Yeah, I’m back on the evening of the 31st but couldn’t accommodate they two dates they offered (the 29th and 30th, if memory serves), and they couldn’t deliver to my address as it was out of their radius. My SA knows my availability, thinks I’ll get a car in January but also makes no promises. We’ll see!

Doesn’t matter who you talk to. You’ll always talk to someone new. Tesla doesn’t care if you’re pissed. They move on. Hopefully they won’t automatically cancel your order along the way.