Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order Issue w/ LR RWD w/ new FSD chipset HW 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Through my local dealership, I had placed an order for a 2019 Model 3 Long Range with single motor RWD. I ordered through them based on the pretense that one was going to be newly built (May 2019) with the upgraded FSD chip (hw 3.0). I was excited as I would have a newly built May 2019 Rwd With the latest chipset.

Yesterday I get a delivery confirmation email/txt that says it’s ready for delivery for 5/15. I contact my local sales rep to workout the details. It turns out, the car that is setup to be delivered is not newly built and w/ 2.5 chipset. He said the one I was originally supposed to get is still being built in California, but somehow the system defaulted on its own to a different one that was available. I just want the car that I was promised without any compromises. I normally don’t spend so much on a car, and I would just like what I ordered. What should I do? I’m stressed out with this. I told the sales guy I would rather wait for the one being built I’m a bit skeptical. Please advise.

It turns out, the car that is setup to be delivered is not newly built and w/ 2.5 chipset. He said the one I was originally supposed to get is still being built in California, but somehow the system defaulted on its own to a different one that was available. I just want the car that I was promised without any compromises. I normally don’t spend so much on a car, and I would just like what I ordered. What should I do? I’m stressed out with this. I told the sales guy I would rather wait for the one being built I’m a bit skeptical. Please advise.

I think they'll be fine with it if you say you want to hold out for the new one to be built. That's not unreasonable. Someone else will be happy to buy the inventory one and receive it ASAP. You can just tell them, "that's a wonderful car, it's just not for me."

I also had the opportunity to take a few different low-mileage test drive cars and chose to wait for a new one to be built. It helped that I didn't like the colors as much and the discounts weren't great. But even so I am not unhappy to have waited for an HW3 build.

Though... the car is so awesome that 99% chance I wouldn't have been unhappy in the end no matter what I got. :)

Through my local dealership, I had placed an order for a 2019 Model 3 Long Range with single motor RWD. I ordered through them based on the pretense that one was going to be newly built (May 2019) with the upgraded FSD chip (hw 3.0). I was excited as I would have a newly built May 2019 Rwd With the latest chipset.

Yesterday I get a delivery confirmation email/txt that says it’s ready for delivery for 5/15. I contact my local sales rep to workout the details. It turns out, the car that is setup to be delivered is not newly built and w/ 2.5 chipset. He said the one I was originally supposed to get is still being built in California, but somehow the system defaulted on its own to a different one that was available. I just want the car that I was promised without any compromises. I normally don’t spend so much on a car, and I would just like what I ordered. What should I do? I’m stressed out with this. I told the sales guy I would rather wait for the one being built I’m a bit skeptical. Please advise.

Wait.
The same thing happened to me...they first matched me with a inventory model with 2.5. I asked for a new build, they said no problem.
I ordered on May 9th, it's due to be delivered on May 18th, I just got the VIN, and was told it was built on May 5th.

OP has not stated whether FSD was part of his order. If it was, I agree it can’t hurt to take delivery of a 2.5 car and get the upgrade later. If all he wants is AP I would definitely wait for an HW3 car to be available.
In all likelihood any future code/features will be FSD only. Autopilot will probably just get security type and some improvements updates and won't benefit in any way by HW3/FSD.

First.. take a deep breath.....

Exhale....

Ok :)

Tesla can not force you to take the car they just assigned to you. As others said, tell them you want a May build car as you originally discussed. Be polite, but tell them you will not be accepting the car that has the 2.5 chipset as that is not what you currently want.

They "might" tell you that they can not promise when you will get the car, etc. If its important to you, then you need to be willing to wait.

Now, IF you ordered full self driving, even if you get hardware 2.5 in the car it will be upgraded "at some point" for hardware 3 or what is now called the "full self driving computer" by tesla. IF you were getting FSD, it might be worth it to try to get tesla to discount that current car and get your HW 3 computer "later".

That would be what I would do if I was in your shoes, and had ordered Full Self Driving. Best of all worlds. Get car now, get tesla to discount based on the car being in inventory a bit, and still get my new computer next year sometime, AFTER they work out any kinks.

Failing that, or if I was not getting FSD, and it was important to me (which it would be), I would wait for what I ordered.

Either way, YOU are in control. Dont forget that. YOU are the one with the money, YOU are the one signing (or not signing) the contract. Dont sign anything you dont want. I like to term the specific behavior I am advocating as "politely insistent". Be polite, but stick to your guns and you will get what you want, as long as you are reasonable. Wanting a new car freshly off the factory line with HW3 is absolutely reasonable. You will get it if you want that :)