Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order on hold until March, email today order will be cancelled?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like some folks are assuming if they can delay until the end of the year they will be able to get Spring/ Summer 2021, delivery in January, and collect the incentives.

You are ignoring a very real possibility here. Tesla may well just unilaterally cancel any of these older orders on December 31st. That would mean you have to place a new order and take delivery whenever they are next available (likely late summer-fall for the MY LR). The message Kaisoku posted above seems to suggest that is not only possible, but likely.

It’s very much in your best interest to figure out with some certainty what happens on January 1st before you continue down this path.
I don’t think they will cancel if they don’t get you a VIN before the end of the year if you agreed to be open for immediate fulfillment. That’s not your fault as you have agreed to take delivery as soon as one is available.

I don’t know how older order affects Tesla’s books (I guess they have a bunch of lower priced orders just sitting there on hold) but from customer fairness point of view people who come off hold should go to the back of the line. Only exception being if you are out of town during your delivery window and they bump you to next available vin.
Logistics, planning builds, forecasting, proper material orders, colors, shipping coordination world wide, etc. also when you don’t get your order Tesla eats the cost of shipping/re allocation.

I don’t think they will cancel if they don’t get you a VIN before the end of the year if you agreed to be open for immediate fulfillment. That’s not your fault as you have agreed to take delivery as soon as one is available.
How long has your vehicle been on hold?

I don’t think they are going to worry overmuch about “fault” if you’ve been sitting on an order for 3+ months and had an opportunity to take delivery.

I don’t have a window into their policy making, but I don’t have a couple thousand dollars and six months of wait time riding on this call either.

This is correct. If your order is open and available to be filled (but just hasn't yet by Tesla) your order will not get cancelled. I talked with the guy at the store for quite a while, and most of these questions all came up.

• Helpful
Reactions: AprilMay and Ogre
My EDD was trending towards mid to end of DEC when a VIN was assigned to me very early in November. I opted to take delivery but was most annoyed at how they pressed me, especially since I was going out of town. I took delivery the day I left and the car sat for almost a week. It still continues to sit most of the time while I get it up to speed.

It also makes me angry that my CAV decal app was answered faster than Tesla submitted the registration paperwork to the DMV. The CA DMV returned my app (as the vehicle wasn't in my name yet). So, early deliveries are definitely possible, but I took the bird in the hand approach with all the uncertainty flying around.

I emailed back to the email questioning if I had to take off hold by 12/2 since my account said it was on hold until 12/31 anyways.. in response, someone totally misunderstood and too it off hold stating that they noted my request 😂....
Anyhow, drove 45 odd miles over the weekend to the Tesla showroom and checked with the SA.. they verified... my EDD is March/ April..
So fingers crossed!
If it helps, a visit to the showroom wouldn't hurt...
Same here, emailed to confirm I can hold till next year and they "misunderstood" my email and opened my order. Now my EDD is 12/9-12/31... o_O

Seems like some folks are assuming if they can delay until the end of the year they will be able to get Spring/ Summer 2021, delivery in January, and collect the incentives.

You are ignoring a very real possibility here. Tesla may well just unilaterally cancel any of these older orders on December 31st. That would mean you have to place a new order and take delivery whenever they are next available (likely late summer-fall for the MY LR). The message Kaisoku posted above seems to suggest that is not only possible, but likely.
Something interesting is that I have both a Model 3 and a Model Y reservation.

I made the Model 3 Reservation on 4/8/2016 (RN107138---) just when the Model 3 reservation started (and people waited on line outside of the store) !!!
I never been requested to activate my Model 3 reservation that I still have.
I think many people have also Roadsters and Cybertrucks reservations too.

I made the Model Y Reservation on 4/28/2019 (RN109336---) just when the Model Y reservation started.
I received at least three requests to activate my Model Y reservation.

From My previous experience, I bought my current Model 3 in 2018, just before the end of the $7,500 Tax rebate.
Then, for 6 month the Tax rebate was then $3,750 and ended in June 2019.
However, the Model 3 at that time was constantly changing to attract customers.
Well, in July 2019, even without any Tax discount, the Model 3 equivalent to the one I bought with Tax discount, was cheaper.

I wonder in January, if there is a Tax rebate, if the Model Y after Tax rebate, will be lower, about the same, or higer than the current price?

It’s very much in your best interest to figure out with some certainty what happens on January 1st before you continue down this path.
I am not used to change car every so often, mostly because of the 10.25 % sales tax in California.
When buying a new car, you pay again the taxes on based on the full price, not just the trade-in.
Also, because of the Covid situation I have a very low mileage, so I have no real justification for getting a new car.

However, if someone is interested getting my Model Y reservation, and known how to proceede, I am fine with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ogre
How long has your vehicle been on hold?

I don’t think they are going to worry overmuch about “fault” if you’ve been sitting on an order for 3+ months and had an opportunity to take delivery.

I don’t have a window into their policy making, but I don’t have a couple thousand dollars and six months of wait time riding on this call either.
I ordered In early May, took off hold in August and then put it back on hold in mid October when I got a VIN. I think I am with the August orders. I looked around at the current delivery and august order threads and those with 7 seats have similar EDDs as me. Maybe they won’t do a 7 seater production run until late December or early January. That’s my hope Atleast. My SA won’t return my emails or calls either.

I ordered In early May, took off hold in August and then put it back on hold in mid October when I got a VIN. I think I am with the August orders. I looked around at the current delivery and august order threads and those with 7 seats have similar EDDs as me. Maybe they won’t do a 7 seater production run until late December or early January. That’s my hope Atleast. My SA won’t return my emails or calls either.
I come across pretty cynical so I’m going to repeat what I said earlier. I sincerely wish you the best.

Tesla is not a fun company to try and read.

Reactions: mwdietertg
Little anecdote here. I’ve had an order in for a Y for the better part of two years. Somewhere during this time, it changed from a LR RWD, to a LR AWD, to a Stealth Performance which as I understand isn’t something they’re really sending out these days.

I suspect that’s what’s keeping my order under the radar but would appreciate more data points.

I really don’t care about a prospective tax credit and honestly not sure if I’ll even take the car unless they add track mode. 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: RoBoRaT
Little anecdote here. I’ve had an order in for a Y for the better part of two years. Somewhere during this time, it changed from a LR RWD, to a LR AWD, to a Stealth Performance which as I understand isn’t something they’re really sending out these days.

I suspect that’s what’s keeping my order under the radar but would appreciate more data points.

I really don’t care about a prospective tax credit and honestly not sure if I’ll even take the car unless they add track mode. 🤣
You should probably call someone at Tesla, it’s very likely your car is lost in the cracks and will never get delivered unless you kick start the process. Unfortunately, it’s likely you will probably get stuck with new pricing. Not sure if the service guys can fix that.

Here’s the problem.

They don’t make the stealth performance version any more and probably won’t ever again.

Changing models will probably reset your price to whatever is current. At least that’s what they’ve done in the past.
Gotcha.

I have some extra wheels in our storage bay I could use to not have to rock the rubber band tire Uberturbines however I would really just rather not have fiddle with them at all.

Maybe I take my chances waiting for some stealth config cars to drop or I strongarm my SA into honoring the ordered price and palm the wheels off on someone who wants to deal with pothole magnets. 😂

Gotcha.

I have some extra wheels in our storage bay I could use to not have to rock the rubber band tire Uberturbines however I would really just rather not have fiddle with them at all.

Maybe I take my chances waiting for some stealth config cars to drop or I strongarm my SA into honoring the ordered price and palm the wheels off on someone who wants to deal with pothole magnets. 😂
I hear you on the tires. I have the 19” tires and have curb rash and can barely drive on gravel roads any more. Coming from a Subaru its a bit of a culture shock.

Reactions: ElectricIAC

Did you made a $2,500 reservation or a $100 reservation?

What the difference between a P and a Stealth? Only the 19" instead of 20" wheels, no lower suspension, no larger brake...?

How much price differenec between an LE AWD and a P?

I called up and spoke with a Tesla rep, he was very friendly and said that my account has been notated that I cannot take delivery in December. We will see how much weight that carries. I also asked about changing my payment method to financing and a trade, they said I need to wait until we get closer to the EDD to do that. Hopefully I am in the clear.

I called up and spoke with a Tesla rep, he was very friendly and said that my account has been notated that I cannot take delivery in December. We will see how much weight that carries. I also asked about changing my payment method to financing and a trade, they said I need to wait until we get closer to the EDD to do that. Hopefully I am in the clear.
Yea I feel like there’s a high likelihood your order gets cancelled from everything I heard. There was someone on another thread on here who got his model y order cancelled because he extended the hold even though it said December 2nd was the last date he had to act.
Either way, good luck, just know there’s a little risk in your decision.

Reactions: ElectricIAC