Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order on hold until March, email today order will be cancelled?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. I think it is highly inconsiderate of Tesla to only give 3 days for you to accept when they don’t hold true to any set dates themselves. People can’t always come down at the drop of a hat to pick something up. And you shouldn’t be bumped down the list if that 3 day window doesn’t fit in your schedule
72hour windows if pretty reasonable tho. Enough time to workout a pick up. Unless your HOURS AWAY. What’s really inconsiderate is people holding up orders with holds just to MAYBE take advantage of some tax rebate. If you want it so bad. Go to the back of the line with a Cancel and reorder. You’ll make up that 100-250$ and more if U purchase after it possibly passes 🤷🏾‍♂️

Last edited:
I’m 2 hours away. I am a solo anesthesia provider at a critical access hospital. I also have to coordinate around my wife’s work schedule as we have only 1 vehicle while we wait for the MYP. So 72 hr window is NOT reasonable in my situation. Even if I was in town 72 hrs is not feasible bc I need to schedule around my partners to cover my call

I'm struggling with this ultimatum for my Model 3 order. I placed an order for a M3 LR back in March 2021, but switched to M3P in April. I have been delaying delivery because I'm trying to time my delivery with my return to office (currently slated for February). We don't need any other cars at home right now (we've got 3 Teslas already).

I replied to the email asking if I could continue to keep my order on hold, but got the following response (emphasis mine):
Thank you for your message. The Model 3 order fee is non-refundable and we are not able to continue keeping the order on hold into the new year at configured pricing. Would you prefer to cancel, agree to update your pricing to what is currently available or open the order for immediate fulfillment once a VIN is available?

The purchase price of my M3P has only gone up by $1k since I ordered. It sounds like I can save the $250 order fee by just agreeing to update my pricing. Has anyone tried to do this with any success?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
72hour windows if pretty reasonable tho. Enough time to workout a pick up. Unless your HOURS AWAY. What’s really inconsiderate is people holding up orders with holds just to MAYBE take advantage of some tax rebate. If you want it so bad. Go to the back of the line with a Cancel and reorder. You’ll make up that 100-250$ and more if U purchase after it possibly passes 🤷🏾‍♂️

Yeah...
I'm pulling for everyone to get the best deal they can,

BUT,

December 31 mark's EOQ, EOY, and the probable beginning of the tax incentive. Tesla has every right, to tell current customers holding vehicles to take delivery by 12/31, or have their order cancelled. I paid $54k for my black MY. I'm already ahead in $$$ (per the tax rebate) plus, the resale of my MY is a whopping $65k. I'm $9k in the black (on paper of course) without the rebate.

On the FL delivery thread, a couple of folk have already been given the 12/31 ultimatum. One of which placed an order in 8/20. Some folk will spill over into 2022, and kudos to them.

IMHO, I think the waiting game is over.

So then all the customers who have January deliveries get their deliveries pushed back so both you and whoever gets your 2021 delivery slot gets queued up before them? Or are you talking about an exchange, where you trade your current delivery slot for people who have October 2022 slots?

Doesn’t matter, I don’t see Tesla spending the time/ effort to jigger around their fulfillment system to accommodate a few thousand people who are trying to DIY their own Black Friday special.
Hate the system, not the players.

This is my experience from a few months ago:
Once your car is ready they send you a pick up date and you have 3 days from that date to pick up.

When I inquired with the Manager about delaying the order he stated that if I don’t pick up or cant pay, it will go to the next person and I would move to the end of the line or the order gets cancelled if I am unable to pick it up twice (if Vin was assigned again after missing the first pick up period).

Not sure about how it is now though.
Back in June, I got the notice to schedule delivery. I ended up not scheduling, and my order got automatically put on hold and my VIN passed to someone else. I was able to schedule delivery for a new VIN a month later. Who knows how it works now though.

Back in June, I got the notice to schedule delivery. I ended up not scheduling, and my order got automatically put on hold and my VIN passed to someone else. I was able to schedule delivery for a new VIN a month later. Who knows how it works now though.
My current EDD is 12-17 - 12-31, I will probably have to reject the VIN since I'm planning to be out of town from mid to end of December....

Did you have to tell your SA you weren't accepting the VIN ???

I’m 2 hours away. I am a solo anesthesia provider at a critical access hospital. I also have to coordinate around my wife’s work schedule as we have only 1 vehicle while we wait for the MYP. So 72 hr window is NOT reasonable in my situation. Even if I was in town 72 hrs is not feasible bc I need to schedule around my partners to cover my call
In my experience so far, the local SA's are cool. They have some minor flexibility regarding the scheduling of pickup.
However, my SC is only 15 minutes away and I visited with them regularly while the order backlogs ballooned, and they got extremely frustrated dealing with...people.

But I assume that since you're 2 hours away you've not actually met your SA.
Call, explain, let them help you work it out.
I believe they're motivated to deliver cars in December if you're a willing taker, so a day or so extra shouldn't matter.

Reactions: Ogre
In my case I had a total hold for about 10 days and I received the cancellation email , so I released the Hold last night...

My new EDD is 12/17 - 12/31.... I'm planning to take vacation mid to end of December, any consequences if I don't accept the VIN for 1st time ???

Consequences I can think of is canceling your order, putting you at the back of the line or updating your order to the latest pricing.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I guess I don’t understand why the EOQ numbers matter. I think Wall Street would understand if numbers were lower d/t people pushing into January. That just means the Q1 numbers would be HUGE.
Tesla is de-emphasizing the huge quarter end crush right now.

That said, where do they park a month’s worth of cars? Then in January they have a massive backlog of cars they have to get out the door.

If the incentive passes (Seeming questionable right now). Getting the cars out the door to the people who had the lowest cost and the least possibility of getting incentives at the time of purchase is the most fair thing they can do.