Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order on hold until March, email today order will be cancelled?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
well, with all due respect... not sure if you are up-to speed with Tesla backlogs! even if you ordered and unless you personalized... (like apple engraves your personal info on their products- which BTW is NOT an option offered by Tesla), the vehicle is generally reassigned to someone who is ready to take delivery.
And as per company estimates, they have backlog of several months.. so NO.. your argument is NOT valid!
also, not all companies increase their prices as often as Tesla does.. so your comparing Tesla and "EVERY OTHER CAR MAKER" is not a valid one, again...
No clue what your Apple example has to do with anything? He ordered a car to Purchase in May 9 months ago. If he didn’t want it he should have Not ordered it! And yes any other car maker is charging Over MSRP. Go to the Ford dealer and say you want the car at MSRP but want to delay it at that price for 9 months. Lol. They will laugh you out of the dealership.

well, with all due respect... not sure if you are up-to speed with Tesla backlogs! even if you ordered and unless you personalized... (like apple engraves your personal info on their products- which BTW is NOT an option offered by Tesla), the vehicle is generally reassigned to someone who is ready to take delivery.
And as per company estimates, they have backlog of several months.. so NO.. your argument is NOT valid!
also, not all companies increase their prices as often as Tesla does.. so your comparing Tesla and "EVERY OTHER CAR MAKER" is not a valid one, again...

I don’t follow this at all.

Do you need a car? Then take delivery, you are paying what you agreed to pay for it 4-5 months ago when you ordered it.

If you don’t need a car for 6-8 months, then cancel and re-order, you are getting roughly the same price the car was selling for 6 months ago because of the incentive.

If you really want to save money, your best bet is to wait a year or two when supply chains stabilize and Tesla’s Texas production is up to speed.

Tesla has no obligation to ensure buyers 7 months ago get the government incentives which didn’t exist at that time.

No clue what your Apple example has to do with anything? He ordered a car to Purchase in May 9 months ago. If he didn’t want it he should have Not ordered it! And yes any other car maker is charging Over MSRP. Go to the Ford dealer and say you want the car at MSRP but want to delay it at that price for 9 months. Lol. They will laugh you out of the dealership.
This is exactly it.

The “Hold” mechanic was not made so people could put a place holder on a price until they feel like buying the car. It was set up so they people who cannot take delivery can delay it. Tesla made a mechanic so people who’s cars arrive when they are on vacation or who don’t have their financing ready. Not so people could have an option on last year’s pricing indefinitely.

I got the same email.. from [email protected].
The original order was May 2021 and my hold was Jan 1st, 2021.
Replied back that I would like to keep the order and want to keep the hold till Jan. 1 2022.
Then, got an email that "Thanks for the note. We will go ahead and keep your order as is and I have looped in your sales advisor who can assist with next steps with regards to delivery timing."
Then, got an phone call from my SA this morning.. that I HAVE TO take an early delivery around Dec 10th because my order was back May 2021.. and Tesla policy hold policy changed to "90 days".. If I don't take the delivery they will automatically cancel the order.
I am not sure what to do..
Take the delivery. I understand you already locked nice price. It is still unknown how much tax break you’ll get in the final version of BBB. I got my delivery in April. Now MY is $10k more than I paid for it.
Even if it was $5k increase and people get $7500, I already put 10k on it and enjoy driving it,

I don’t follow this at all.

Do you need a car? Then take delivery, you are paying what you agreed to pay for it 4-5 months ago when you ordered it.

If you don’t need a car for 6-8 months, then cancel and re-order, you are getting roughly the same price the car was selling for 6 months ago because of the incentive.

If you really want to save money, your best bet is to wait a year or two when supply chains stabilize and Tesla’s Texas production is up to speed.

Tesla has no obligation to ensure buyers 7 months ago get the government incentives which didn’t exist at that time.
Why so judgmental? Many who ordered back in May were anticipating the tax credit to be passed by now. In fact, the Senate finance committee passed a bill back in May that would have made the credit retroactive, so many who reserved back then were expecting something. I don’t see anything wrong with a buyer trying to delay delivery to take advantage of an $8K tax incentive, and can’t see how that impacts any of you who seem to have a problem with it.

Why so judgmental? Many who ordered back in May were anticipating the tax credit to be passed by now. In fact, the Senate finance committee passed a bill back in May that would have made the credit retroactive, so many who reserved back then were expecting something. I don’t see anything wrong with a buyer trying to delay delivery to take advantage of an $8K tax incentive, and can’t see how that impacts any of you who seem to have a problem with it.
Judgmental?

If you can push it down the road more power to you. But not sympathetic if Tesla isn’t very tolerant of games you are playing to get that price.

In May, there was zero certainty around incentives and the idea that they would apply to 2021 purchases was even more tenuous. You knew it was a crap shoot at the time.

I believe in the letter they say if they cancel the order they refund your order fee.

I don’t think they have to according to the contract, but it sounds like they might.
If that's the case then that is fair. They cannot suspend these orders forever and I'm sure it wreaks havoc for them to juggle whose in and whose not, each quarter. And then on top of that logistic problem we know have ppl profiting off of reservations...

Reactions: Yelobird
I responded to the original email which stated to remove hold by 12/2.. asking why are they (TESLA) asking me to do this now if the order is on hold until 12/31...
got response this morning that they have noted my request and released the order for fulfilment and looped in local SA... I am like wtf.. I asked why are they asking to take it off hold and they respond by ….. taking it off HOLD!!!lied
hopefully VIN is not assigned shortly and I can still take delivery after 1/1/22...
They assigned me a vin and a car today and sent me two texts asking me to arrange pickup. My order was on hold until March 1, 2022. I have not heard back to any emails sent. When I called Tesla, they told me they changed the policy. They were the ones who offered March 2022 initially.

They assigned me a vin and a car today and sent me two texts asking me to arrange pickup. My order was on hold until March 1, 2022. I have not heard back to any emails sent. When I called Tesla, they told me they changed the policy. They were the ones who offered March 2022 initially.
I was also told that they changed the policy for a maximum 3 month hold.. I am not sure when it starts because Tesla can delivery cars within 3 months after orders. I didn't get a text yet but once I get I think I have to arrange a pickup date.. My SA told me Tesla might cancel the order and it happened a few days ago for one local customer.

I have the MYP at 3k off the current price. If the EV credit goes through, it would still be 5k less than what I would pay.
(1) still 5k savings
(2) won't have to buy winter tires and wheels this year
(3) Austin build with new battery/frame possible

I'll take the gamble on the bill passing, if not, 3k more is fine to see if 4680 batteries will be implemented.

Will Tesla let you place another order, or is there a waiting period if you don't take delivery?

(I would buy the car Jan 1st, but Tesla is going back on the March 2022 date, or an earlier January 1st date)

Its a fair gamble, but there's also nothing wrong with a car company telling you to buy it or cancel your order either.

People who were gambling on a green bill to pass with a 50/50 (at best) congress are taking a risk. Tesla is taking a risk by letting people delay. They have quarterly numbers to meet.

I have a delivery on hold and also got the email. I'm going to start the order process in the next couple of days for a MYP. If I get assigned a vin and requested to schedule a pick up date. How can I push that to after 1/1?

not all companies increase their prices as often as Tesla does.. so your comparing Tesla and "EVERY OTHER CAR MAKER" is not a valid one, again...

Yes they do, all of them do. The only difference is, you and I could pay vastly different prices for the same exact vehicle on a dealers lot because they want to do it. Tesla applies the price increases across the board. The comment that not all car dealers increase prices is pretty removed from reality of car purchases.