Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order on hold until March, email today order will be cancelled?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I emailed back to the email questioning if I had to take off hold by 12/2 since my account said it was on hold until 12/31 anyways.. in response, someone totally misunderstood and too it off hold stating that they noted my request 😂....
Anyhow, drove 45 odd miles over the weekend to the Tesla showroom and checked with the SA.. they verified... my EDD is March/ April..
So fingers crossed!
If it helps, a visit to the showroom wouldn't hurt...
Update: as of this morning..Vin assigned...
So not sure what is going on since yesterday, EDD was March'22....

Alright, I have some good information on this whole issue that may/ may not help out somebody else.

I went down to the store in person on Saturday, because I too received the threatening e-mail cancellation with December 2 stated as the end all date. I actually ended up chatting with one of the managers at the store for a couple hours regarding this whole issue. He gave me some quick run downs about "cancellation campaigns" that Tesla seems to push every few months. Most cancellation campaigns in the past were essentially 'soft' campaigns, in that if you responded to the e-mail and told them you were still interested, they would continue to hold your order.

This new cancellation campaign is completely new to Tesla and most of the employees as well, so they aren't completely familiar with it, and as a result they don't know what would happen if you were to actually ignore the e-mail and continue keeping it on hold. He also stated to me that its likely Tesla flagged all these accounts that received the e-mail cancellation. He stated he could 'remove' the cancellation on my account, but there's a chance that Tesla's systems that previously tagged any of these orders would be at risk of cancellation.

Ultimately, he left it up to me as to how I wanted to play it, and agreed that I'm in a tough spot as to what decision to make (was trying to push to Jan 2022 for the rebate). After thinking about it, I'll probably remove the hold on December 1st (to ensure my order doesn't get hit) and hope for something to go wrong with my delivery so I don't get it until 2022. My reason being that the price has already gone up 7k since I put down my deposit (I got in at the absolute lowest price in Feb), and it wouldn't be worth it to me to gamble this away for a potential rebate that would only be 1k more than the already cheaper cost of my car.
Quick side note... He mentioned that as soon as I take my order of hold, I will likely be catapulted to the very front of the queue for the next order assignment. He stated the system is fully automated and uses the initial order date very heavily in determining if a vin is to be assigned to a particular individual. The next variable is profile completeness, however, to a much lesser degree. I just intend to keep my profile as incomplete as possible to try and defer vin assignment, but doubt this will help any.

Hopefully, this helps out some folks with more information.

Update: as of this morning..Vin assigned...
So not sure what is going on since yesterday, EDD was March'22....
Yea see my post I posted just a few minutes after you. VIN assignment is heavily dependent on your initial order date. I have a feeling this will happen to my order as well since it was placed in Feb... When did you put in your order, when did you put it on hold, and what model (SR. LR or performance).

Reactions: ak.ak123
Yea see my post I posted just a few minutes after you. VIN assignment is heavily dependent on your initial order date. I have a feeling this will happen to my order as well since it was placed in Feb... When did you put in your order, when did you put it on hold, and what model (SR. LR or performance).
I placed mine in May, removed Hold in August, VIN assignment Oct 12th and then back on hold on around the 14th of October. I am still showing Jan 8th to Feb 5th, I am hoping the closer I get to the end of the month and with little movement, I may be in the clear. I wonder if my configuration of white seats and 3 rows being less common than other configs will help.

I understand their new policy but the problem is many of us made travel plans for December. I am going to be gone out of state most of the month because I made those plans under the impression I would not be taking delivery of my car. I think it's real crappy what they are doing.

Last edited:
...I'll probably remove the hold on December 1st (to ensure my order doesn't get hit) and hope for something to go wrong with my delivery so I don't get it until 2022. My reason being that the price has already gone up 7k since I put down my deposit (I got in at the absolute lowest price in Feb), and it wouldn't be worth it to me to gamble this away for a potential rebate that would only be 1k more than the already cheaper cost of my car...
And you will also save a bit more on purchase sales tax and DMV license/registration fees now and future with the $7k lower purchase price, getting you very close to the possible $8k federal tax credit.

And you will also save a bit more on purchase sales tax and DMV license/registration fees now and future with the $7k lower purchase price, getting you very close to the possible $8k federal tax credit.
True... I didn't think of that, thanks for solidifying my decision a little more. I'd give you an upvote but I don't know how to on this site since I stumbled on this post from google.

Alright, I have some good information on this whole issue that may/ may not help out somebody else.

I went down to the store in person on Saturday, because I too received the threatening e-mail cancellation with December 2 stated as the end all date. I actually ended up chatting with one of the managers at the store for a couple hours regarding this whole issue. He gave me some quick run downs about "cancellation campaigns" that Tesla seems to push every few months. Most cancellation campaigns in the past were essentially 'soft' campaigns, in that if you responded to the e-mail and told them you were still interested, they would continue to hold your order.

This new cancellation campaign is completely new to Tesla and most of the employees as well, so they aren't completely familiar with it, and as a result they don't know what would happen if you were to actually ignore the e-mail and continue keeping it on hold. He also stated to me that its likely Tesla flagged all these accounts that received the e-mail cancellation. He stated he could 'remove' the cancellation on my account, but there's a chance that Tesla's systems that previously tagged any of these orders would be at risk of cancellation.

Ultimately, he left it up to me as to how I wanted to play it, and agreed that I'm in a tough spot as to what decision to make (was trying to push to Jan 2022 for the rebate). After thinking about it, I'll probably remove the hold on December 1st (to ensure my order doesn't get hit) and hope for something to go wrong with my delivery so I don't get it until 2022. My reason being that the price has already gone up 7k since I put down my deposit (I got in at the absolute lowest price in Feb), and it wouldn't be worth it to me to gamble this away for a potential rebate that would only be 1k more than the already cheaper cost of my car.
Quick side note... He mentioned that as soon as I take my order of hold, I will likely be catapulted to the very front of the queue for the next order assignment. He stated the system is fully automated and uses the initial order date very heavily in determining if a vin is to be assigned to a particular individual. The next variable is profile completeness, however, to a much lesser degree. I just intend to keep my profile as incomplete as possible to try and defer vin assignment, but doubt this will help any.

Hopefully, this helps out some folks with more information.
Thanks for the detailed post.

I don't understand how someone on hold but flagged for cancellation in this campaign would catapult right to the front of the line when there are I am sure many customers waiting in line who would willing take delivery in December. Shouldn't Tesla have asked customers with EDD in Dec/Jan/Feb first if they will take delivery in 2021 and just push whoever said yes to the front of the line instead of allowing people to go on hold until certain date and changing terms of the hold midway?

I don't understand how someone on hold but flagged for cancellation in this campaign would catapult right to the front of the line when there are I am sure many customers waiting in line who would willing take delivery in December. Shouldn't Tesla have asked customers with EDD in Dec/Jan/Feb first if they will take delivery in 2021 and just push whoever said yes to the front of the line instead of allowing people to go on hold until certain date and changing terms of the hold midway?
Exactly, especially with Elon sending out a Memo to efficiently deliver cars and no crazy EOQ rush. It's just a bad customer experience overall.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
My original order was Oct' 20 but I was stuck out of country for a while due to travel ban.. however, Tesla messed up my order which was resolved only early this November...

My lr 5 fsd tow

So then all the customers who have January deliveries get their deliveries pushed back so both you and whoever gets your 2021 delivery slot gets queued up before them? Or are you talking about an exchange, where you trade your current delivery slot for people who have October 2022 slots?

Doesn’t matter, I don’t see Tesla spending the time/ effort to jigger around their fulfillment system to accommodate a few thousand people who are trying to DIY their own Black Friday special.

This was what I was told by the manager, that it's strictly based on order date, and they're currently dealing with mostly orders placed on August for delivery atm. So be being a February order, yea, you do get shot up in the queue.
Either way, when I remove my hold on Wednesday I can let you know how soon after I get a VIN assigned (This is for a SR model 3 btw, so mileage may vary based on different cars, but I believe the SR model is fairly in high demand as far as delivery dates go).

So then all the customers who have January deliveries get their deliveries pushed back so both you and whoever gets your 2021 delivery slot gets queued up before them? Or are you talking about an exchange, where you trade your current delivery slot for people who have October 2022 slots?

Doesn’t matter, I don’t see Tesla spending the time/ effort to jigger around their fulfillment system to accommodate a few thousand people who are trying to DIY their own Black Friday special.
Yea, it's not an exchange. You just get high priority for VIN assignment since your order is so old in their systems, and that's the major factor in deciding VIN assignment. Don't think this is necessarily cutting in line, but Tesla just trying to clear out their old orders first since it doesn't look great on their books having old orders sit around for so long (again what store manager told me).

Reactions: Ogre

Not sure if you are responding to me but I was arguing for Tesla following the EDD order instead of trying to force long time hold folks to pick up now and push Dec EDDs into January and later. I don’t see where the comment about DIY Black Friday special comes from.

Yea, it's not an exchange. You just get high priority for VIN assignment since your order is so old in their systems, and that's the major factor in deciding VIN assignment. Don't think this is necessarily cutting in line, but Tesla just trying to clear out their old orders first since it doesn't look great on their books having old orders sit around for so long (again what store manager told me).
You think they track by duration an order has been around or just by the total backlog?

Btw- now my account says 'acceptand proceed with delivery'..

Which I don't intend to unless I get a call text or email from tesla to do so... Let's see

Reactions: Teslitored
I don’t know how older order affects Tesla’s books (I guess they have a bunch of lower priced orders just sitting there on hold) but from customer fairness point of view people who come off hold should go to the back of the line. Only exception being if you are out of town during your delivery window and they bump you to next available vin.

Seems like some folks are assuming if they can delay until the end of the year they will be able to get Spring/ Summer 2021, delivery in January, and collect the incentives.

You are ignoring a very real possibility here. Tesla may well just unilaterally cancel any of these older orders on December 31st. That would mean you have to place a new order and take delivery whenever they are next available (likely late summer-fall for the MY LR). The message Kaisoku posted above seems to suggest that is not only possible, but likely.

Thank you for your message. We are not able to continue keeping the order on hold into the new year at configured pricing. Would you prefer to cancel, agree to update your pricing to what is currently availableor open the order for immediate fulfillment once a VIN is available?

It’s very much in your best interest to figure out with some certainty what happens on January 1st before you continue down this path.