Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order on hold until March, email today order will be cancelled?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is de-emphasizing the huge quarter end crush right now.

That said, where do they park a month’s worth of cars? Then in January they have a massive backlog of cars they have to get out the door.

If the incentive passes (Seeming questionable right now). Getting the cars out the door to the people who had the lowest cost and the least possibility of getting incentives at the time of purchase is the most fair thing they can do.
I doubt it would be a full months as some people will still take delivery. I think the amount you see of people on a Tesla specific forum overestimates the issue. I think most people don’t even know about the possible EV credit

Tesla is de-emphasizing the huge quarter end crush right now.

That said, where do they park a month’s worth of cars? Then in January they have a massive backlog of cars they have to get out the door.

If the incentive passes (Seeming questionable right now). Getting the cars out the door to the people who had the lowest cost and the least possibility of getting incentives at the time of purchase is the most fair thing they can do.
While I don't disagree with the general sentiment, I do think that as we approach the end of December, it would be completely unreasonable for Tesla to expect any customer to be around to purchase a car on ridiculously short notice when their own EDDs have been months away. Tons of people make travel plans over the last few weeks of December and it is silly to expect anyone to cancel their travel plans because Tesla is facing a challenging few weeks due to anticipated tax credits in the new year. The "fair" thing as we approach the end of the year would be to simply offer up cars to others in their huge backlog of orders as there are a lot of people who are willing to pick up a car now at the higher price and are available as opposed to waiting till the middle of next year.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about orders being moved up today, but as we approach mid-December, it would start to be rather unreasonable and silly to force car deliveries on people who are unavailable.

While I don't disagree with the general sentiment, I do think that as we approach the end of December, it would be completely unreasonable for Tesla to expect any customer to be around to purchase a car on ridiculously short notice when their own EDDs have been months away. Tons of people make travel plans over the last few weeks of December and it is silly to expect anyone to cancel their travel plans because Tesla is facing a challenging few weeks due to anticipated tax credits in the new year. The "fair" thing as we approach the end of the year would be to simply offer up cars to others in their huge backlog of orders as there are a lot of people who are willing to pick up a car now at the higher price and are available as opposed to waiting till the middle of next year.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about orders being moved up today, but as we approach mid-December, it would start to be rather unreasonable and silly to force car deliveries on people who are unavailable.

This appears to primarily affect people who ordered these cars months ago and have had multiple opportunities to take delivery.

In that case, is it unreasonable?

If someone has had multiple opportunities to select a more convenient delivery time and delayed, is it really unreasonable to tell them to 💩 or get off the pot? Some people on this thread were stalling or talking about delaying just a couple of days ago.

This appears to primarily affect people who ordered these cars months ago and have had multiple opportunities to take delivery.

If someone has had multiple opportunities to select a more convenient delivery time and delayed, is it really unreasonable to tell them to 💩 or get off the pot? Some people on this thread were stalling or talking about delaying just a couple of days ago.
I agree I just hope I get the opportunity to pick my deliver time as I have never been offered a VIN before and have never delayed. I ordered in September with a EDD for Oct-November that has been pushed to December. If they would have delivered on the original time frame I wouldn’t have a problem most likely

Reactions: Ogre
I think the longer this BBB bill goes into December, the better. Many buyers are unaware of the credit so if the bill gets passed at the end of the month that bodes well for those of us that are holding out for the credit as you will have less of a rush if buyers trying to delay delivery at the last minute. Ideally this all gets passed the week of December 20th. I know some people are salty about some of us delaying delivery to cash in on the tax credit, but if it wasn’t for TMC I would not have been educated on the hold process.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC

However, there are also plenty of people who ordered months ago, who have been patiently waiting, not delaying anything, who would find it really unreasonable that if a delivery coincided with vacation plans, that they would not hold the car an extra few days, when some have been waiting months.

I think the longer this BBB bill goes into December, the better. Many buyers are unaware of the credit so if the bill gets passed at the end of the month that bodes well for those of us that are holding out for the credit as you will have less of a rush if buyers trying to delay delivery at the last minute. Ideally this all gets passed the week of December 20th. I know some people are salty about some of us delaying delivery to cash in on the tax credit, but if it wasn’t for TMC I would not have been educated on the hold process.
FYI even if that bill gets passed by the senate on the 20th, it has to go back to the house for approval… and then to the president to sign.

Additionally, the bill is currently written as cars taken delivery after 12/31/21. So if the bill does get enacted before this day, we’re still out of luck unless the dates are re-written.

Anyway, I’m headed to the store later today to remove my hold in person and hope for the best.

However, there are also plenty of people who ordered months ago, who have been patiently waiting, not delaying anything, who would find it really unreasonable that if a delivery coincided with vacation plans, that they would not hold the car an extra few days, when some have been waiting months.

I agree.

But is Tesla sending these “Take delivery or your order will be cancelled“ emails to those people?

I think Tesla is “encouraging” people with long term holds to take delivery to avoid exactly the situation you describe.

Here's my experience:
MY AWD reservation booked in the first half of 2020 (price locked in at lowest MY price)
Received the Dec 2 email
Filled out Registration and Payment over the weekend
Estimated Delivery updated from TBD to March overnight

Oh and I bought this reservation off someone
Same thing happened with my order and the EDD changed from tbd to March and then pretty much over night to next week!!!
Keep an eye out on your account for EDD..

Same thing happened with my order and the EDD changed from tbd to March and then pretty much over night to next week!!!
Keep an eye out on your account for EDD..
A little OCD on the EDD from the guys at the BBT...
refresh-big-bang-theory.gif

Reactions: ak.ak123
I guess I don’t understand why the EOQ numbers matter. I think Wall Street would understand if numbers were lower d/t people pushing into January. That just means the Q1 numbers would be HUGE.
It's all about the Money on Wall Street. End of Story. That's just what it is.
However, Elon put out an email (that was leaked)(maybe) saying eff Wall Street, do what's efficient & makes business sense, don't kill yourselves trying to make a number.

I will take a 2170 PYD before end of year if they throw in FUSC. Even if it has to come with the pothole magnet Uberturbine wheels.

Otherwise, I want 4680.
for 4680 you will likely end up paying the current pricing.
They're not gonna let holds go long enough wait them out, AND get the Tax bonus.
4680 MY deliveries aren't likely much before Q2 22.
I'd like to be wrong. But the available evidence says not soon.

Reactions: omegafiler
Here's my experience:
MY AWD reservation booked in the first half of 2020 (price locked in at lowest MY price)
Received the Dec 2 email
Filled out Registration and Payment over the weekend
Estimated Delivery updated from TBD to March overnight

Oh and I bought this reservation off someone
It would seem Tesla's order admin flagged the order transfer?
But maybe the EDD is still an effed up system and a VIN will be assigned.
Hard to say but they do state that they discourage scalping.

Reactions: voxel
Saw this on facebook:

“Tesla canceled the delivery of my car because I needed an extra day to get funding for my deposit. It appears that if you go with 3rd party financing, they do not allow you enough time to work out the financing. I was approved by Tesla and they paired me with Wells Fargo. I prefer to go with my Municipal Credit Union, plus they offered me a lower rate. Tesla was not willing to give the time to work out the final details. — feeling disappointed.”

• Funny
Saw this on facebook:

“Tesla canceled the delivery of my car because I needed an extra day to get funding for my deposit. It appears that if you go with 3rd party financing, they do not allow you enough time to work out the financing. I was approved by Tesla and they paired me with Wells Fargo. I prefer to go with my Municipal Credit Union, plus they offered me a lower rate. Tesla was not willing to give the time to work out the final details. — feeling disappointed.”
Was that an order cancellation or did they just end up releasing the VIN and putting them back in line?

Saw this on facebook:

I’m sure that this person had more than enough time to get a loan from his credit union while he was waiting and postponing the delivery anticipating the tax credit. So he/she was gambling against uncertainty and lost.
Nothing to blame on Tesla.