Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order Process for FSD Transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI: Picked up the new car earlier today. Our initial mvpa had FSD (as initially instructed by Tesla). While waiting for the new car, Tesla changed their process. In fact our mpva was updated and FSD was removed by Tesla. Today, once we accepted the car - almost instantly - FSD was enabled in the car. (It was only AutoPilot while doing our pre-inspection). Got home and the old car had the notice that FSD was removed. Smooth.

I just picked up my new Y Performance after doing the FSD transfer. I learned a lot from this process. The hardest part was timing the sale of my 2018 Model 3 LR. Your Model 3 has to stay in your account until the FSD transfer is completed. I ended up selling mine to a 3rd party car buying service yesterday afternoon. I kept the Model 3 in my account until I completed my delivery. I was told you can remove it once FSD has been taken off your current car, but I wasn't going to risk that. Everything was very stressful and you need to be ready for that if the sale of your current Tesla hinges on you being able to pay part/all of the current Tesla's cost. Otherwise, you'd want to plan to take out a temporary loan until you get the funds from the sale. Local dealerships were telling me it was going to take a month to get my equity because they won't release it until they get the released title after paying of the remaining portion of my loan. I went with a company that immediately wired me my equity after I dropped the car off.

Another issue I had was that the gallery emailed me the FSD Transfer Agreement and asked me to email them the signed copy so they could upload it. I did that and was told the FSD would be removed at the 72 hour mark. Nothing happened, so I asked Tesla and they said it was in process and not to worry. Another day went by and now we're less than 48 hours from delivery. I text Tesla again and that's when someone tells me that the form that was uploaded didn't have my signature. The gallery screwed up, so they electronically sent the form. It takes 24 hours for the form to process, so it finally got removed from my Model 3 less than 24 hours before delivery. Make sure you only sign an electronic form so you don't deal with what I did. 🤦‍♀️

If anyone has any questions on about the process, let me know.....
I am also in the process of ordering new model x plaid and transfer FSD to the new model x from old one.I signed FSD transfer form and 3 days later FSD taken away from my old model x though my delivary date is bw august 29-Sept 5.My financing is completed and full price of car is paid to Tesla minus $16000(15 k for FSD and 1 k referral bonus).I have an offer on my old model x by a private buyer which is much higher what Tesla offered in Trade in.Question I have is that can I now sell off my old model x to private buyer as FSD transfer is completed on paper and taken away or should I wait until delivary of new model x.

I am also in the process of ordering new model x plaid and transfer FSD to the new model x from old one.I signed FSD transfer form and 3 days later FSD taken away from my old model x though my delivary date is bw august 29-Sept 5.My financing is completed and full price of car is paid to Tesla minus $16000(15 k for FSD and 1 k referral bonus).I have an offer on my old model x by a private buyer which is much higher what Tesla offered in Trade in.Question I have is that can I now sell off my old model x to private buyer as FSD transfer is completed on paper and taken away or should I wait until delivary of new model x.

I think you should wait until the delivery of the new Model X before selling your old one. Both car needs to be under the same Tesla account upon delivery of your new Tesla was one of the requirement for the FSD transfer afaik.

Ok.I feel FSD transfer complete,purchase order reflect the discount,Tesla got the full amount for the new vehicle,now just awaiting delivary of car.I guess Tesla FSD transfer is something done new so better to wait though I start accumulating paying for two model x.As both under financing terms and daily balance of each car accumulating.

I just picked up my new Y Performance after doing the FSD transfer. I learned a lot from this process. The hardest part was timing the sale of my 2018 Model 3 LR. Your Model 3 has to stay in your account until the FSD transfer is completed. I ended up selling mine to a 3rd party car buying service yesterday afternoon. I kept the Model 3 in my account until I completed my delivery. I was told you can remove it once FSD has been taken off your current car, but I wasn't going to risk that. Everything was very stressful and you need to be ready for that if the sale of your current Tesla hinges on you being able to pay part/all of the current Tesla's cost. Otherwise, you'd want to plan to take out a temporary loan until you get the funds from the sale. Local dealerships were telling me it was going to take a month to get my equity because they won't release it until they get the released title after paying of the remaining portion of my loan. I went with a company that immediately wired me my equity after I dropped the car off.

Another issue I had was that the gallery emailed me the FSD Transfer Agreement and asked me to email them the signed copy so they could upload it. I did that and was told the FSD would be removed at the 72 hour mark. Nothing happened, so I asked Tesla and they said it was in process and not to worry. Another day went by and now we're less than 48 hours from delivery. I text Tesla again and that's when someone tells me that the form that was uploaded didn't have my signature. The gallery screwed up, so they electronically sent the form. It takes 24 hours for the form to process, so it finally got removed from my Model 3 less than 24 hours before delivery. Make sure you only sign an electronic form so you don't deal with what I did. 🤦‍♀️
I followed the transfer procedures to the letter. When I picked up my new car, I asked when would the FSD transfer happen. The agent said that as soon as my delivery was complete. I proceeded to sell my old Tesla and kept waiting for the transfer to happen. After multiple calls to the service center and countless answers from different agents, I week and a day later I am still waiting for the FSD transfer to happen. I have one contact at my delivery center who says he is working on the problem, but still no joy. They gave me a 3 month promotional FSD that will cancel in November if I don't get my original FSD back. No one seems to know what the problem is. Does anyone have any suggestions!! If you are planning to transfer, my suggestion is do NOT leave the delivery center until you have proof of the software transfer. I was told I would get an email. DID NOT HAPPEN!!!

I bought a new 2023 M3P and transferred FSD from our 2019 M3P-, a 2019 Stealth Performance model 3, which we are keeping by the way, so no FSD transfer complications with the date of sell/trade-in. At pickup in Seattle 8/24/23, when I set up the iPhone key in the actual car, FSD was already present. Not only was it there but software version 2023.20.200 was installed. Not the latest FSD software but it is FSDb, a beta version, 11.3.6. I had worried I would be back in line for beta, but not the case. Others have said the same. Also at pickup/setup for the 2023, FSDb disappeared from the 2019 model. A few hours later the 2019 was updated to 2023.26.9, the latest non-FSd software. All in all the transfer went very well.

• Informative
Reactions: YisSerL and Pricedm
I followed the transfer procedures to the letter. When I picked up my new car, I asked when would the FSD transfer happen. The agent said that as soon as my delivery was complete. I proceeded to sell my old Tesla and kept waiting for the transfer to happen. After multiple calls to the service center and countless answers from different agents, I week and a day later I am still waiting for the FSD transfer to happen. I have one contact at my delivery center who says he is working on the problem, but still no joy. They gave me a 3 month promotional FSD that will cancel in November if I don't get my original FSD back. No one seems to know what the problem is. Does anyone have any suggestions!! If you are planning to transfer, my suggestion is do NOT leave the delivery center until you have proof of the software transfer. I was told I would get an email. DID NOT HAPPEN!!!
I’m also having this problem. I noticed as soon as I got home from picking up Friday and texted back the SA. They called me back pretty quick and had me resubmit the FSD transfer form and said it got sent over to the FSD team. I emailed Saturday for them to follow up and a different SA replied back that it takes 24-48 hrs to apply. I assume they don’t work on Sundays so planning to follow up again Monday afternoon. This whole ordeal has been a mess, the new car was a week later than expected which resulted in about a $3k decrease in the value of my old car I’ve been patiently waiting to sell. Tesla‘s processes work great but they are totally incapable of dealing when something that doesn’t go right.

Reactions: zmarty
I’m in the same boat except I still have my model 3 with FSD. Completed all paperwork and was told transfer would happen 1-2 days after delivery. 30 days later still no dice. The whole FSD transfer process has been a sh—show. It’s too bad because I absolutely love my model Y.

I’m in the same boat except I still have my model 3 with FSD. Completed all paperwork and was told transfer would happen 1-2 days after delivery. 30 days later still no dice. The whole FSD transfer process has been a sh—show. It’s too bad because I absolutely love my model Y.
On the bright side, you still have FSD enabled on a car that can actually use it!

Reactions: zmarty and jroydog
Does it matter if you order an inventory car with the currently offered discounts applied? Is that considered a promotion that would void the FSD transfer (Fourth paragraph on the FSD transfer signature paperwork)? Or do you need to order the new car from the configurator? I've read the entire thread, but just to confirm, it seems according to what others are saying Tesla has confirmed if you use a referral code when placing an order it does not count as a promotion that would void the FSD transfer, is this true? Also, the referral codes only give the referer 10,000 credits if the person referred has never bought a Tesla before, but the person using the code gets $500 off whether or not they have purchased a Tesla before, is this true?

I bought an on-lot, in-inventory vehicle from the Seattle store and got a $4420 "price adjustment" and a $500 "referral bonus", although I did not ask specifically for either. The listed inventory vehicles on the Tesla website already have the discounts. My vehicle, a 2023 M3P, had 4 miles on the odometer and had been on the lot for less than a week. I didn't online order the vehicle because I could not be assured of pickup before the FSD transfer offer expires, on September 28, 2023. I transferred FSD from my 2019 M3P-. The agreement states to be eligible for transfer the FSD had to be purchased with the original car. The first thing I did was to call Seattle to verify eligibility for FSD transfer.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdgordon7
I’m also having this problem. I noticed as soon as I got home from picking up Friday and texted back the SA. They called me back pretty quick and had me resubmit the FSD transfer form and said it got sent over to the FSD team. I emailed Saturday for them to follow up and a different SA replied back that it takes 24-48 hrs to apply. I assume they don’t work on Sundays so planning to follow up again Monday afternoon. This whole ordeal has been a mess, the new car was a week later than expected which resulted in about a $3k decrease in the value of my old car I’ve been patiently waiting to sell. Tesla‘s processes work great but they are totally incapable of dealing when something that doesn’t go right.
I'm having the same issue with my Model S, just picked it up yesterday. When I ordered it online rep said she would email her manager and then when I did trade-in it showed "Value with FSD Transfer" on the 2021 M3 (took less for the car too). A little bit concerned because I bought the S because of the transfer period. Anyone else in the same boat? any solution? Seem to be getting ping-ponged around when I call Tesla.

Update. My FSD transfer went through today. It took a month but it happened. So those of you having problems just keep in contact through the app and eventually hopefully the transfer will happen.

• Informative
Reactions: Pricedm

If anyone has any questions on about the process, let me know.....
My delivary of new Model x plaid completed yesterday.I digned and send FSD transfer paper signed on August 17 to Tesla.At time of delivary they reassured me that FSD will be transferred to my car and taken away from my old model x once I signed delivary papers.Finally last evening that is few hours after the new model x plaid delivary, beta FSD is taken away from my old model x but my new model x plaid still do not have beta FSD on it.What should I do.

My delivary of new Model x plaid completed yesterday.I digned and send FSD transfer paper signed on August 17 to Tesla.At time of delivary they reassured me that FSD will be transferred to my car and taken away from my old model x once I signed delivary papers.Finally last evening that is few hours after the new model x plaid delivary, beta FSD is taken away from my old model x but my new model x plaid still do not have beta FSD on it.What should I do.
Take a look at the Software page in your vehicle settings. If you see “Included package” under Full Self Driving Capability, your FSD transfer was successful.

New vehicles are delivered with a factory software build and in that build, HW4 and FSD Beta are not compatible. FSD Beta compatibility for HW4 vehicles just started rolling out last week. You will likely get this software update within a few weeks. I took delivery on August 14th and received the update on the 30th.