Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order Process for FSD Transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The whole process to purchase a new car and transfer FSD has been both confusing and frustrating, and the process has changed over the last week or so. As a M3P owner, I followed instructions and ordered a MYP with FSD and asked for a trade-in price on the 3. Email estimate came back @ $31k, which is in the ballpark of KBB. After 5 days of not receiving the trade-in offer I called for an update and was told they were backlogged but that the advisor would send an internal memo. He was very pleasant and also told me the new car now needed to be ordered without FSD, which he took care of. Low and behold an hour later I get a notification that an offer is available to review. And it's.... just north of 27k, which is even less than their 'range' for the estimate. Say what? So I decided to shop around and get other offers, all of which were 30k or above, but not as good as the original Tesla offer allowing for the tax savings of the trade-in against new purchase.

So I decided to call Tesla again for some clarification on why the trade-in estimate was so low. And good luck calling on a Monday, took me 28 attempts over several hours before I got to to speak to someone. 'Trade-in values have changed over the last week', I was told. Nice.
But here was the real kicker, was told the FSD transfer only works if you trade-in to Tesla. Say what again? Now I'm getting pretty PO'd.
Called again and got the previous pleasant advisor who told me that wasn't accurate, you can trade-in somewhere else, just don't do it before you take delivery.

So bottom line, I need to trust this process doesn't change again before I take delivery, I need to wait to pickup the new car before selling the old, and the trade in values of M3 to Tesla have tanked in the last week. The conspiracy theorist in me says this is tied to Highland and possible further price reductions.

Anyway, may be useful to anyone else who's going through this process.

Reactions: jroydog
The whole process to purchase a new car and transfer FSD has been both confusing and frustrating, and the process has changed over the last week or so. As a M3P owner, I followed instructions and ordered a MYP with FSD and asked for a trade-in price on the 3. Email estimate came back @ $31k, which is in the ballpark of KBB. After 5 days of not receiving the trade-in offer I called for an update and was told they were backlogged but that the advisor would send an internal memo. He was very pleasant and also told me the new car now needed to be ordered without FSD, which he took care of. Low and behold an hour later I get a notification that an offer is available to review. And it's.... just north of 27k, which is even less than their 'range' for the estimate. Say what? So I decided to shop around and get other offers, all of which were 30k or above, but not as good as the original Tesla offer allowing for the tax savings of the trade-in against new purchase.

So I decided to call Tesla again for some clarification on why the trade-in estimate was so low. And good luck calling on a Monday, took me 28 attempts over several hours before I got to to speak to someone. 'Trade-in values have changed over the last week', I was told. Nice.
But here was the real kicker, was told the FSD transfer only works if you trade-in to Tesla. Say what again? Now I'm getting pretty PO'd.
Called again and got the previous pleasant advisor who told me that wasn't accurate, you can trade-in somewhere else, just don't do it before you take delivery.

So bottom line, I need to trust this process doesn't change again before I take delivery, I need to wait to pickup the new car before selling the old, and the trade in values of M3 to Tesla have tanked in the last week. The conspiracy theorist in me says this is tied to Highland and possible further price reductions.

Anyway, may be useful to anyone else who's going through this process.
Yes, I totally agree. It is a mess. The current process of FSD transfer will happen 3days after we take the delivery. What if we take the delivery, and later find the 3 not qualified for the transfer? For me if no transferring FSD, I will not buy new Tesla now.

Not a conspiracy - just good old Econ 101. The trade in value of my 2020 M3LR dropped $3000 in one week from the estimate to final trade value and yes - the M3 values are dropping like crazy because of the refresh and well a lot of trade ins for FSD transfers (most trades for FSD are probably Model 3’s!). Honestly if I wasn’t locked in for my delivery in 2 days I bet my trade value would be down another $2000…

Yes, I totally agree. It is a mess. The current process of FSD transfer will happen 3days after we take the delivery. What if we take the delivery, and later find the 3 not qualified for the transfer? For me if no transferring FSD, I will not buy new Tesla now.

I know anything is possible but I don’t know how your transfer would not happen. I had to call to get a transfer form that I had to sign which had both VINs on it - old and new. The person had to first confirm my car was eligible for the transfer before he would send me the form to sign. I now have a signed form with both VIN numbers on it so there is no way they can’t complete the transfer. I’m not saying there may be some hiccups, but I feel pretty confident that once you get the transfer form signed the transfer will occur at some point.

Once I signed and returned the FSD transfer form I got an email back within minutes that I was all set and the transfer would take place after delivery. I would think once you have that acceptance you would be good. The only thing that would block it is if the old vehicle is no longer on your account.

Reactions: Pricedm
Once I signed and returned the FSD transfer form I got an email back within minutes that I was all set and the transfer would take place after delivery. I would think once you have that acceptance you would be good. The only thing that would block it is if the old vehicle is no longer on your account.

My old vehicle was on my account when they took delivery today. They gave me 3 months of fsd instead of the full fsd transfer. I sold my old car about an hour and a half after I took delivery. I am still without my fsd transfer and I feel like I am not going to get it even though I followed their directions.

Okay just took delivery. The new post process worked and worked well. I had initially been nervous when I saw FSD was removed from the upcoming car.

In advance of going I had called Tesla the day before and the rep e-mailed me a confirmation that the FSD transfer was setup and good to go just in case something happened.

When I got to Tesla, I was able to confirm again with the delivery rep at the desk that the full self driving transfer paperwork was attached to the account. The moment I hit "accept" in the in app delivery flow I got this e-mail:
View attachment 963794
It also listed the VIN the FSD was removed from and the VIN the FSD was added to. Was able to confirm in both the app and in the car that the new Model X had FSD (but it's HW4 so not enabled yet).
I never got that email and I took delivery today /:

My old vehicle was on my account when they took delivery today. They gave me 3 months of fsd instead of the full fsd transfer. I sold my old car about an hour and a half after I took delivery. I am still without my fsd transfer and I feel like I am not going to get it even though I followed their directions.
I would jump on Tesla sales team and have them remove FSD from your old vehicle, if possible. Did you sell your old vehicle with FSD still installed? In talking with Tesla sales associates, their concern is if a car does not have FSD removed in the transfer process to your new Tesla, and your original Tesla is subsequently sold, then it appears to Tesla as FSD belongs to the old car/new owner. Best of luck to you in resolving.

Reactions: blackmagic1
Picked up my Y LR today trading in a 3. The transfer happened a few minutes after accepting the new car, while I was still in the parking lot setting things up. I also got an automated email confirming the transfer occurred.

Tesla
Full Self-Driving Capability transferred successfully​
Your Full Self-Driving Capability is transferred successfully*​

I texted them and so far they have responded and asked for the Vin on my M3. So little progress. Thanks!
So far so good. I take delivery 8/25. I called today to get the FSD agreement paperwork and they emailed me right away. Filled out and emailed back. I had asked via text this morning but was only answered after I called, that is was just emailed to me. I said "Thanks!" and they responded, "Anytime!" which is funny cause I asked 3 times via text and finally had to call them to get it, so I guess thats Teslas definition of "Anytime!"

I don’t think you’re supposed to sell your car with FSD until it transfers to your new car.

I don’t think you’re supposed to sell your car with FSD until it transfers to your new car.
That's not what is in the FSD transfer terms - the vehicle has to be registered in your name at the point of taking possession of the new vehicle.

But it would be a sensible thing to wait with selling it until the FSD transfer completes in case there is some kind of hiccup with the transfer.

That's not what is in the FSD transfer terms - the vehicle has to be registered in your name at the point of taking possession of the new vehicle.

But it would be a sensible thing to wait with selling it until the FSD transfer completes in case there is some kind of hiccup with the transfer.
If you read the thread, some are stating they are being told not to sell their car until the FSD transfers. Just because the terms don’t specifically state it, doesn’t mean it can’t be true.

If you read the thread, some are stating they are being told not to sell their car until the FSD transfers. Just because the terms don’t specifically state it, doesn’t mean it can’t be true.
I guess it's the typical Tesla style where they just make up the rules... I'd argue that only the written rules are binding, though it will likely take a major effort to keep Tesla to those when something does go wrong.

I guess it's the typical Tesla style where they just make up the rules... I'd argue that only the written rules are binding, though it will likely take a major effort to keep Tesla to those when something does go wrong.
I think it would also be hard to say the terms are all inclusive. So it may say that “the vehicle has to be registered in your name at the point of taking possession of the new vehicle.”
That doesn’t mean Tesla can’t say additionally you cannot sell your car until the FSD process has completed later.

Yeah but not everyone who is attempting to get fsd transferred over is reading this thread. I didn't even know about this site until I was freaking out about the fsd transfer after I took delivery.

That said, their terms are very vague in my opinion and can be left open for interpretation very easily.

My delivery was an hour past the scheduled time because the car wasn't ready and i had to get back to work. It took me two hours after I took delivery before I removed the old car from my app. Right after I did that, I then realized that my fsd was set up for a 3 month subscription and not just on there.

Yeah but not everyone who is attempting to get fsd transferred over is reading this thread. I didn't even know about this site until I was freaking out about the fsd transfer after I took delivery.

That said, their terms are very vague in my opinion and can be left open for interpretation very easily.

My delivery was an hour past the scheduled time because the car wasn't ready and i had to get back to work. It took me two hours after I took delivery before I removed the old car from my app. Right after I did that, I then realized that my fsd was set up for a 3 month subscription and not just on there.
Everything about Tesla is vague and confusing. That’s what happens when you’re led by Elon.
I have 3 Teslas and each delivery experience was different. There’s no standardization to how Tesla operates. The whole FSD transfer process appears to be a clusterduck. But, can you really expect anything else from Tesla? lol

I just want to confirm if I hear it correctly. I was on the phone with sale rep. She told me that you DON'T have to add FSD package anymore. Basically, she will send me a form to say that I want to transfer FSD to a new car, sign and return. Is it correct? thanks

I just want to confirm if I hear it correctly. I was on the phone with sale rep. She told me that you DON'T have to add FSD package anymore. Basically, she will send me a form to say that I want to transfer FSD to a new car, sign and return. Is it correct? thanks
The FSD Transfer paperwork/form has always been there, but sometime this month they have changed their ordering process where you no longer have to add FSD package to your initial order.

I was thinking, wouldn't it be better to add FSD initially (and it'll show up on your monroney sticker), where you get a 15k credit after the transfer is complete, vs now, where it is similar to an after-sale upgrade you add to your app?

In the case your car is totaled, would your insurance company replace your car based on your initial purchase, with FSD intact (since it was from the initial purchase)?

Reactions: T3M3T and Pricedm
That is correct.

My order originally had FSD added (the old process) and they then removed FSD.
Delivery was today and the transfer happened within 2 minutes of accepting delivery at Tesla

Reactions: T3M3T
I would get the directions in writing, like send a text. I was told to add it and then they would take it off. But it took them so freaking long to take it off that I had to rush at the end and get funding for the car.