Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order Process for FSD Transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone ordered a new Tesla recently while using the free FSD transfer? I'm thinking about trading in my 2018 Long Range Model 3 towards a new Performance Model Y, and I'd like to transfer FSD from my Model 3 to the new Model Y. Do I just order a new Model Y as usual through the Tesla app, or do I need to talk to a Tesla salesperson in order to get the free FSD transfer? If I just order a Model Y as usual, do I need to add FSD as an option to the Model Y I order?

I am in the process now of trading in my 2019 Model 3 for a MYP and pick it up next Friday. You order as usual and you do need to add FSD as an option on the new car. They will send you the FSD terms sheet to sign. I made sure I mentioned the FSD transfer to them several times just to make sure it happens.

One thing, you may want to check out the forum posts about some people not being able to transfer FSD from a 2018 Model 3 to a new car.

When I lookup the trade in value of my car it sounds like it's already kind of sorted, you would just order a new car and the FSD would transfer.

The thing I'm wondering is after giving you the estimated trade in value it says "Includes transfer of your current trade-in vehicle's FSD capability at no cost to you if you take delivery of a new Tesla vehicle by September 30, 2023". The way I'm reading it, the seemingly low trade in value is already kind of dinged for the FSD transfer and it's not going to be lowered more when you transfer FSD to the new car? Kind of concerned of a trade in value bait and switch sort of thing.

Also wondering what happened to the acceleration boost? I guess that is lost. I don't see an option for that on the new cars at all.

Also wondering what happened to the acceleration boost? I guess that is lost. I don't see an option for that on the new cars at all.
Yes, there's no offer to transfer AB so it will stay with the old vehicle.

It was never possible to order AB at the same time as the car, you'll just have to go in the app and pay for it after you get the new one. Added advantage is that it won't add to the value for registration and tax purposes (might help but depends a lot on how your state handles those).

I just picked up my new Y Performance after doing the FSD transfer. I learned a lot from this process. The hardest part was timing the sale of my 2018 Model 3 LR. Your Model 3 has to stay in your account until the FSD transfer is completed. I ended up selling mine to a 3rd party car buying service yesterday afternoon. I kept the Model 3 in my account until I completed my delivery. I was told you can remove it once FSD has been taken off your current car, but I wasn't going to risk that. Everything was very stressful and you need to be ready for that if the sale of your current Tesla hinges on you being able to pay part/all of the current Tesla's cost. Otherwise, you'd want to plan to take out a temporary loan until you get the funds from the sale. Local dealerships were telling me it was going to take a month to get my equity because they won't release it until they get the released title after paying of the remaining portion of my loan. I went with a company that immediately wired me my equity after I dropped the car off.

Another issue I had was that the gallery emailed me the FSD Transfer Agreement and asked me to email them the signed copy so they could upload it. I did that and was told the FSD would be removed at the 72 hour mark. Nothing happened, so I asked Tesla and they said it was in process and not to worry. Another day went by and now we're less than 48 hours from delivery. I text Tesla again and that's when someone tells me that the form that was uploaded didn't have my signature. The gallery screwed up, so they electronically sent the form. It takes 24 hours for the form to process, so it finally got removed from my Model 3 less than 24 hours before delivery. Make sure you only sign an electronic form so you don't deal with what I did. 🤦‍♀️

If anyone has any questions on about the process, let me know.....

Interesting email from Tesla was sent out on the FSD Transfer and more detail and clarity on the terms and conditions:

The most interesting thing I read that seemed to be more clearly stated is the following:

Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 3.10.51 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: LastGas and tander
Interesting email from Tesla was sent out on the FSD Transfer and more detail and clarity on the terms and conditions:

Thank you for sharing this. Clearly defines how the trade-in value works. Now I know what to expect as I trade-in my 2018 LRM3.

"I want to trade in my current Tesla vehicle. If I have FSD capability for my current vehicle, does this affect my current vehicle’s trade-in value?
Yes. If you are trading in your vehicle, the trade-in vehicle will be valued as though it has basic Autopilot as the FSD capability will be removed and transferred to the new vehicle."

I received the email from Tesla a few minutes ago. In the end, I think I’m just going to keep my current car. Tesla’s trade-in offer for my Model 3 was awful, and I don’t really want to deal with the stress and hassle of trying to time the sale of my car so I can use that cash to pay for the new one. If Tesla would let me remove FSD from my current car immediately and have a credit in my account to transfer it to the new vehicle upon delivery, I’d do it, as I could sell my current car well in advance. Judging by recent sales of used Teslas in my area, i could get around $7,000 more for my current car than Tesla‘s trade-in offer By selling it to a private party.

The most interesting thing I read that seemed to be more clearly stated is the following:

View attachment 960451

Good - that eliminates the $3k “transfer fee.” You lose the FSD value on your trade-in, but you keep the value of FSD when you trade-in or sell your new car later on. So you give up 3K initially but get it back later (assuming Tesla will always value FSD at the same value on trades).

BTW my quote on my current model 3 was 28-30k which now includes “transfer of FSD”. But that’s not even $2k less than the last time I got a trade in quote, which previously did include the value of FSD. So depending on the car I don’t think Tesla even values FSD at $3000, it’s probably more $1000-$2000.

I just picked up my new Y Performance after doing the FSD transfer. I learned a lot from this process. The hardest part was timing the sale of my 2018 Model 3 LR. Your Model 3 has to stay in your account until the FSD transfer is completed. I ended up selling mine to a 3rd party car buying service yesterday afternoon. I kept the Model 3 in my account until I completed my delivery. I was told you can remove it once FSD has been taken off your current car, but I wasn't going to risk that. Everything was very stressful and you need to be ready for that if the sale of your current Tesla hinges on you being able to pay part/all of the current Tesla's cost. Otherwise, you'd want to plan to take out a temporary loan until you get the funds from the sale. Local dealerships were telling me it was going to take a month to get my equity because they won't release it until they get the released title after paying of the remaining portion of my loan. I went with a company that immediately wired me my equity after I dropped the car off.

Another issue I had was that the gallery emailed me the FSD Transfer Agreement and asked me to email them the signed copy so they could upload it. I did that and was told the FSD would be removed at the 72 hour mark. Nothing happened, so I asked Tesla and they said it was in process and not to worry. Another day went by and now we're less than 48 hours from delivery. I text Tesla again and that's when someone tells me that the form that was uploaded didn't have my signature. The gallery screwed up, so they electronically sent the form. It takes 24 hours for the form to process, so it finally got removed from my Model 3 less than 24 hours before delivery. Make sure you only sign an electronic form so you don't deal with what I did. 🤦‍♀️

If anyone has any questions on about the process, let me know.....
Could you please explain the timing again? I'm thinking of selling my current Y to third party to get a better price. When does Tesla remove the FSD from my current Y? Is it before I pick up the new Y? thanks

Can you explain what is this "transfer fee"?
Based on the original guidelines, Tesla would remove FSD from the value of your trade-in ($3000), but then you also couldn’t sell the new car with FSD, so you’d lose the value of FSD on the next trade as well. So in the end, you‘d lose the $3000 as a result of transferring FSD.

Now that Tesla has updated their terms to state you can resell the new car later on with FSD, you’ll get that money back (in theory).

Based on the original guidelines, Tesla would remove FSD from the value of your trade-in ($3000), but then you also couldn’t sell the new car with FSD, so you’d lose the value of FSD on the next trade as well. So in the end, you‘d lose the $3000 as a result of transferring FSD.

Now that Tesla has updated their terms to state you can resell the new car later on with FSD, you’ll get that money back (in theory).
Indeed in theory as Carmax and Carvana seem to value it at a few 100 $. Private sale should do a bit better though.

And in spite of their low FSD valuation, Carmax/Carvana will likely give you more than Tesla anyway.

Indeed in theory as Carmax and Carvana seem to value it at a few 100 $. Private sale should do a bit better though.

And in spite of their low FSD valuation, Carmax/Carvana will likely give you more than Tesla anyway.

I suppose that depends on a number of factors…. But Tesla’s most recent trade-in quote for my car was $3k higher than my Carvana quote from a month ago. And that quote accounted for the FSD transfer. I’m guessing that FSD makes zero difference in 3rd party quotes, but Tesla at least gives you a pittance.

I suppose that depends on a number of factors…. But Tesla’s most recent trade-in quote for my car was $3k higher than my Carvana quote from a month ago. And that quote accounted for the FSD transfer. I’m guessing that FSD makes zero difference in 3rd party quotes, but Tesla at least gives you a pittance.
In that case definitely take the Tesla offer. I'm wondering if there are regional differences in Tesla's valuation vs. the others.

Carmax valued my 3 $100 less than Tesla. And since I did a cash transaction I didn’t pay sales tax on the trade value from Tesla, so that widened the gap between Carmax and trading with Tesla further.

I also checked with other corporate buyers and valuations were similar to Tesla — all of them crappy! Private sale would have been best obviously but I didn’t want the hassle.

I felt sorry for buyers who had purchased new right before the huge price cuts 6 months ago, but if they had a then valuable Tesla trade they probably didn’t make out much worse than I did last week. But I did want HW4 and got that on my new Y — and of course I would have been without an FSD transfer six months ago.

I’m actually going through this process now and it’s a little confusing in my opinion. It’s also so new that even some of the service centers aren’t clear on the exact process. I’m supposed to pickup my new car tomorrow but I haven’t seen any signs of the transfer being complete. I have an offer from CarMax that is only good until Friday so I’m hoping for the best. I can’t let go of my current model 3 until the transfer is complete but I also can’t finalize financing until I pay off my current model 3. Kind of frustrating.

Yeah so I'm still waffling... I hate being indecisive.
The more I think about it, the more I think the wise decision is to just hold on to my Model3 another year and see what my options are next summer. I'm not actually that eager to get rid of my current car, because it is still a good car and pretty much a unicorn. At this point I don't care about FSD transfer, if FSD is good enough by then, I'll subscribe on my new car and keep the value of FSD on my trade-in. On the other hand if FSD still is "beta" requiring full driver attention in 2024, there's no point in putting out any more effort or money for it. In the meantime I'll get to see how FSD progresses on my own car.

It just seems like the current process has too high a risk of FSD disappearing into the void due to Tesla not having their processes 100% communicated well. I'd bet this FSD transfer sales promotion won't be the end of it either.

It actually irritates me that anybody who demands FSD transfer in the future (because it's the right thing to do) will simply be told "You had your chance buddy."

When I received my VIN last week I received a call from an Inside Tesla Advisor. She emailed me a one page transfer contract. This is the most important paragraph in the contract.
3. Accept the forfeiture of the Full Self Driving capability on your current Tesla vehicle.
Alternatively, you can choose to trade-in your current Tesla vehicle altogether directly with Tesla when
you purchase your new Tesla vehicle. Tesla will remove Full Self Driving capability from your current
Tesla vehicle up to one week before your scheduled delivery day for your new Tesla. During this process,
your current vehicle will automatically reboot for a few minutes after put in park.