Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order Process for FSD Transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be curious knowing the percentage of Tesla with FSD?
Especially older Model 3 with FSD consideing getting a Modl Y?

I read that there was only about 10% of Tesla having FSD.

If this is the case, the number of Tesla owners
- in the market for a new Tesla and
- consideing taking advantage of the FSD transfer
might not be that hudge?
Thats me as well, always wanted a Y for the added room. But was just going to stick out as long as it runs cause I would never spend 15k on FSD. FSD is fun to mess around with here in the tri-state area, it shuts off constantly. Outside of the area, it works amazingly well. Now I'll get my Y, have FSD and not paid 15k. And I have a new car and back into a warranty. So I ordered yesterday and already showing a estimated del of Aug 13 to 27.

Reactions: Pricedm
Yes…I confirmed HW4 before putting in the order. All new Y’s are getting HW4 now. The remaining HW3 inventory vehicles had big discounts (at least last week) and most of those weren’t even on the website. We found them on the internal Tesla inventory list while I was in the showroom. I’m 830XXX. It was built July 3rd.
Thank you so much! That's one last thing to worry about!
Interesting about the HW3 inventory cars. Did they clearly say that they were HW3 and that was why they were being discounted?

What were the other offers?
That sounds like a trade-in bait and switch.

My initial trade-in quote was $30k for my 2018 P3D with FSD (as of a few days ago). I haven’t proceeded further but if they’re going to drop it by $10k on the actual trade-in, due to removing FSD, what’s the point of the FSD transfer “offer?”
Carvana offeres $19,600. CarMax at $22,000. Car Buyer USA is at $24,000. Waiting for the representative from Car Buyer so I can sell to them.

Have delivery scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. Still no FSD transfer or updated invoice to reflect removal of $15000. Finally just went to a local credit union for financing based on my own math bc Tesla is dragging their feet to update the invoice.
I heard they do it on the day of delivery. But then how are people supposed to get their financing ready, especially if it's on a weekend?

For those who are taking the plunge...

Timeline of events for my 3--> y FSD transfer offer dance:
Ordered: 7/30
VIN assigned: 7/31
FSD Transfer form signed: 8/1
Trade-in offer finalized: 8/2
3rd party financing pre-approval: 8/3
FSD Transfer/MVPA/Financing check issued/Insurance/Downpayment: 8/4
Delivery: 8/5

I'm about 20 hours from delivery and found this on my 2018 model 3. Checked the app and pricing is updated. My mvpa on the website is there now, but pricing doesn't show the discount. With that said Tesla tells me everything is good and ready on their end

As others have mentioned, despite in 2018 AP being a part of EAP/FSD and not default, the car still keeps AP when losing EAP/FSD which is nice.

Attachments

• 20230805_125330~2.jpg
    20230805_125330~2.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
My pickup is at 2 tomorrow and I have been texting Tesla to ask why the FSD transfer credit is not shown (with no response). Tesla did call to confirm the delivery time and they left a message. I called back and was told that there was a 124 minute wait time. I requested a call back and 240 minutes later, a nice lady called and I explained the situation. She said that she'd fix it and she did. Five minutes later, the credit showed up on the invoice (taxes were reduced) and FSD was removed from my Y.

I called 510-249-3500. They called back from 888-518-3752

Basically, a couple hours before pickup and still nothing. Banks already closed. They must not want to sell cars. SA escalated to their "funding team" (again).

I checked again later and it did finally transfer but I was never notified.

Their "funding team" is essentially a black hole. Maybe Elon told them to drag their feet as much as possible so people can't exercise the "amnesty". Who knows.

I’m actually going through this process now and it’s a little confusing in my opinion. It’s also so new that even some of the service centers aren’t clear on the exact process. I’m supposed to pickup my new car tomorrow but I haven’t seen any signs of the transfer being complete. I have an offer from CarMax that is only good until Friday so I’m hoping for the best. I can’t let go of my current model 3 until the transfer is complete but I also can’t finalize financing until I pay off my current model 3. Kind of frustrating.
Update…lost my FSD during this process. Initiated transfer on Tuesday, transfer went through. sold car because that was the only way they would show my financing details, did not like the financing(I should’ve done my own financing instead of Tesla financing) so I switched to a different car, they never said it would be an issue as I spoke to them all week, and sent me another transfer form to complete. New delivery day comes, the Saturday of the same week, and as I pull up to the lot, I receive a message saying that the transfer could not be completed because the car isn’t in my account…was very frustrated

I picked up our new MYP yesterday. HW4. Traded 2019 Model 3 for it. FSD transfer and credit was last minute. It's tricky to do with 3rd party financing as the amount due will not adjust until last-minute, making it difficult to get the purchase agreement to the lender in time to fund prior to a pre-scheduled delivery. You have two options: 1) switch to Tesla financing (which I did) because it's easier for them to adjust balances in the hours leading up to delivery (which they did), or 2) be patient and recognize you may need to move the delivery date to get everything lined up with your 3rd party lender.

Reactions: Pricedm
For those of you who did the FSD transfer and a Tesla loan, how do you handle the loan amount request? I just want to apply for the amount I will need but there are two problems: FSD is included in my balance and it does not account for my trade-in’s loan balance and use the correct equity.

Did you adjust the down payment to get the correct ”amount financed?” But if you did that and the invoice was adjusted later did it automatically lower you loan amount because it assumed the larger down payment?

This transfer just seems more complicated than it should be…

For those of you who did the FSD transfer and a Tesla loan, how do you handle the loan amount request? I just want to apply for the amount I will need but there are two problems: FSD is included in my balance and it does not account for my trade-in’s loan balance and use the correct equity.

Did you adjust the down payment to get the correct ”amount financed?” But if you did that and the invoice was adjusted later did it automatically lower you loan amount because it assumed the larger down payment?

This transfer just seems more complicated than it should be…
Tesla will adjust the loan amount in the hours leading up to delivery to account for the FSD transfer and trade equity. When I ordered and applied I overstated the loan amount assuming no FSD credit but ballparking the equity in my trade. The amounts Tesla was showing for the loan and cash due were wrong until the actual software transfer happened on the day of delivery. Make sure they send you the form to approve the transfer. I received that a few days before delivery.

That's exactly my experience. The sales rep told me I can get credits, but obviously they got it wrong (or just lying deliberately), as I called several times later and confirmed that loyalty benefit does not qualify for credits.
As expected, despite what the sales guy "promised", I didn't get any credits. I just got the loyalty $500 credit. Oh well, better than nothing