Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered a P85D, now thinking about losing my deposit and getting a CPO instead.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a small business owner and ordered a P85D with the lease program. We've been in business over 10 years and are growing substantially, so money isn't really an issue. The problem that I've been facing is that I've felt incredibly guilty since I ordered my car. I live in a small city and have a well known business, with a staff of 60. All of them are paid a living wage (for the area) with industry-leading benefits, however I'm feeling very self conscious about driving a $120k car to work.

Anyway, now that Tesla launched their CPO site (a week after I ordered my car), I am seeing some pretty attractive deals on P85s. I kind of like the thought of buying used for substantially less money and then being able to tell people I bought it used. I'd take the $500/mo savings and put it towards some sort of employment reward (employee of the month bonus or something).

Any thoughts from existing MS owners? Would you keep the P85D and not worry about what other people think or try to get the lesser version?

If you can't get over that feeling, you're in trouble. Everyone you know and those in your town you don't know will be asking about the car. It's been 18 months and I'm still a celebrity! I have the 85, it has 18,300 miles on it. I'll sell it to you for 69,000.

Take it from a guy who HASN'T gotten a Model S, at least not yet. I decided to wait because the purchase didn't meet my personal standard for reasonableness (too much money for my income) not because I give a fart about what other people would think. I may buy in the future, and if I buy used instead of new it will be because I perceive it as a good value, not to appease anyone else.

I have a good bit of practice watching my neighbors buy really nice cars while I go more budget. I'm fairly thrifty and I've always lived in nicer neighborhoods where all the neighbors make significantly more money than I do. I wouldn't look down on a business owner spending on a nice car, unless maybe his business was failing and I thought he was fiddling as Rome burned.

I'm a small business owner and ordered a P85D with the lease program. We've been in business over 10 years and are growing substantially, so money isn't really an issue. The problem that I've been facing is that I've felt incredibly guilty since I ordered my car. I live in a small city and have a well known business, with a staff of 60. All of them are paid a living wage (for the area) with industry-leading benefits, however I'm feeling very self conscious about driving a $120k car to work.

Anyway, now that Tesla launched their CPO site (a week after I ordered my car), I am seeing some pretty attractive deals on P85s. I kind of like the thought of buying used for substantially less money and then being able to tell people I bought it used. I'd take the $500/mo savings and put it towards some sort of employment reward (employee of the month bonus or something).

Any thoughts from existing MS owners? Would you keep the P85D and not worry about what other people think or try to get the lesser version?

I know exactly what you mean and have had the same thought. I'm ordering a 70D but almost bought a CPO partly so I didn't seem so out of step with family, friends and colleagues. The "lesser version" is still plenty nice and plenty expensive.

Well based on this thread, I've decided to keep the P85D. I have arranged to have it debadged upon arrival.

I'm also quite likely going to be picking up several of the Smart Electrics for the biz. The dealership I spoke with has two coming in July, so I'm hoping to pick both of them up as a start.

I know exactly what you mean and have had the same thought. I'm ordering a 70D but almost bought a CPO partly so I didn't seem so out of step with family, friends and colleagues. The "lesser version" is still plenty nice and plenty expensive.

I was looking at going for a 70D and just got a CPO instead. This was NOT because of seeing out of step with anyone. The car I got had a significant discount that made the value proposition fit much more with my life. There are things you will miss out on older cars, notably dual motor and Autopilot. If those matter to you and it fits with your finances, pull the trigger and don't regret it.

Well based on this thread, I've decided to keep the P85D. I have arranged to have it debadged upon arrival.

I'm also quite likely going to be picking up several of the Smart Electrics for the biz. The dealership I spoke with has two coming in July, so I'm hoping to pick both of them up as a start.

Good decision if you are playing the game right. I am getting a P85D which I openly talk about with my staff. They don't mind because

a. They can see the company is doing well and it can afford it.
b. They benefit from this, as I do, by getting pay rises and bonuses.

If you put your staff first, reward them well, and look after them, then they will not mind you treating yourself to a new car. Take them out for a few launches; they will love it.

Good decision if you are playing the game right. I am getting a P85D which I openly talk about with my staff. They don't mind because

a. They can see the company is doing well and it can afford it.
b. They benefit from this, as I do, by getting pay rises and bonuses.

If you put your staff first, reward them well, and look after them, then they will not mind you treating yourself to a new car. Take them out for a few launches; they will love it.

Yeah, we did the "bucket list" exercise last summer where everyone shares some realistic goals so that others (and the company) can help them achieve. I made sure to mention the Tesla, so it was planted in their heads long before I ordered it.

Glad to see a fellow biz owner on here who treats their staff well. It's too rare.

I had the almost same experience. I have a very visible position as an executive whose activities feel like they're a fishbowl. I actually bought my MS 60 used last August thinking it would tone down people's reactions when they found out I was driving a Tesla.

When I receive scrutiny, I reply that this car was bought pre-owned, not $100,000 and actually is cheaper than the car I traded in for it if you factor gas and maintaince.

Well I've learned that this was all for naught, because the decision to purchase used has almost no affect on people's perception. A Tesla gets so much attention that I am still looked like to person who drives a $100,000+ car. Most don't know the difference between a P85D and a 40w version so new to used doesn't matter at all. Having to explain things constantly is really more trouble than just ignoring flack.

I did break down in the fall and purchase a Nissan pickup to drive in situations when my vehicle is around a large number of people.

This does help and it something I don't regret because of its versality hauling things but I've learned that the best possible way to combat negative perceptions is to ignore it.

...but I've learned that the best possible way to combat negative perceptions is to ignore it.

Not to go all "yoga rapper" on ya, but "haterz gonna hate and playerz gonna play". So show honor and respect to your inner ballar, and be true to yourself. Live with integrity and congruence, both inside and outside. If the harmonic frequency of your soul calls for "insane mode", then heed the call. The D in P85D is for your Destiny.

Namate

I had a similar issue and chose the P85+ route. For me the $50K in savings and living in an area that gets very little snow made the decision much easier. I don't really need the autopilot, but like the sensors that protect the flanks of the car (blind spots). You will be happy either way. This is a great car and it won't disappoint. So now we are a two Tesla family and it was much easier to sell to my wife - who has the P85 that the P85+ replaced.

Not to go all "yoga rapper" on ya, but "haterz gonna hate and playerz gonna play". So show honor and respect to your inner ballar, and be true to yourself. Live with integrity and congruence, both inside and outside. If the harmonic frequency of your soul calls for "insane mode", then heed the call. The D in P85D is for your Destiny.

Namate

Uuummm....yeah....you've clearly already been hanging out in Asheville. ;)

I did break down in the fall and purchase a Nissan pickup to drive in situations when my vehicle is around a large number of people.

Great idea! Fortunately, I have two '74 International Pickups I can drive (and I do all of the work on myself).

10269212_10152088931601401_4343396656804943349_o.jpg

Very glad to hear they had a few coming in stock. The lease deals in 2014 pretty much had the Smart ED's sold out across US and Canada. Everyone I show the car to gets a big kick out of it. Ping me if you need any questions answered, I hang out on the Smart Car of America forum as well, and have a very deep understanding of the car and systems.

The 2015 continues on the same platform as 2013,2014 model, which has shown to be reliable and low maintenance. I've never been back to the dealer since I bought it 1.5 years ago.