Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered my MS Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many factors to consider.
State of charge is a key factor.
Theoretically, our Model 3 can achieve a rate of charge of 1,000 mph.
I have observed rates as high 646 mph (189kw) on my 2018 MS100D which is clearly not optimized for v3 superchargers.
Of course that was brief and at a moderately low state of charge.
(See image below)
So sustaining an average 800 mph for 15 minutes at a very low state of charge doesn’t seem impossible for a system that has been optimized.
Of course increased efficiency (Watts per mile) closer to what a Model 3 gets would obviously impact charging rates dramatically.
View attachment 633641

I was using math to show how they came up with the estimates on the product page (answering the quoted question). Not sure what you're trying to say here quoting my post. 50 kwh in 15 minutes is 200kwh (60 minutes divided by 15 minutes is 4, 4 times 50kwh is 200kwh). Tesla is saying based on the EPA estimate of 412 miles per charge on the 100khw battery of the new Model S, at approx. 200kwh charging rate you will hit 200mph speeds. Yeah I know the math isn't perfect, the usable size of the battery is not 100kwh, the range is not an even 400, but i used rounded numbers to show the math involved in the calculations.

There are obviously many factors that go into not only range but also charging speed. EV range and charging rates are influenced by a lot of things, more so than a typical ICE cars MPG rating. My Model S charging speed/range varied wildly compared to the Spark EV I had and the Bolt EV we have now.

Do you expect Tesla to say "Charging speeds between 1,000 and 100 mph depending on state of charge, temperature, age of battery, and other factors" ??? No, they are going to give a rounded estimate based on averages.

Last edited:
Don’t forget supercharging is logarithmic, not linear.

Example of an old chart Tesla posted a while back:

1CF6735A-8423-45FA-A0E2-01B3E413D4EE.gif

I was using math to show how they came up with the estimates on the product page (answering the quoted question). Not sure what you're trying to say here quoting my post. 50 kwh in 15 minutes is 200kwh (60 minutes divided by 15 minutes is 4, 4 times 50kwh is 200kwh). Tesla is saying based on the EPA estimate of 412 miles per charge on the 100khw battery of the new Model S, at approx. 200kwh charging rate you will hit 200mph speeds. Yeah I know the math isn't perfect, the usable size of the battery is not 100kwh, the range is not an even 400, but i used rounded numbers to show the math involved in the calculations.

There are obviously many factors that go into not only range but also charging speed. EV range and charging rates are influenced by a lot of things, more so than a typical ICE cars MPG rating. My Model S charging speed/range varied wildly compared to the Spark EV I had and the Bolt EV we have now.

Do you expect Tesla to say "Charging speeds between 1,000 and 100 mph depending on state of charge, temperature, age of battery, and other factors" ??? No, they are going to give a rounded estimate based on averages.
Just continued the conversation, injecting some real world data & observations. Not intending to be a contrarian. When V3 was introduced Tesla said it could charge a Model at “up to” 1,000 mph. Not untrue, However not sustainable for very long or at a higher state of charge.

• Helpful
Reactions: FutureShock
Still an average charge rate of 200KW over 50% of the battery capacity is impressive.

Indeed. This is assuming the usable pack size is around 100kWh though.

I’ve been thinking about the new Model S efficiency and pack size, so I figured the usable capacity must be around 100kWh for the 412-mile range to make sense at an average of 242 Wh/mile.

If they somehow managed to reduce efficiency below that of a Long Range Model 3 to, let’s say, 220 Wh/mile, then the usable capacity would only be around 90kWh. That would be impressive efficiency though!

Indeed. This is assuming the usable pack size is around 100kWh though.

I’ve been thinking about the new Model S efficiency and pack size, so I figured the usable capacity must be around 100kWh for the 412-mile range to make sense at an average of 242 Wh/mile.

If they somehow managed to reduce efficiency below that of a Long Range Model 3 to, let’s say, 220 Wh/mile, then the usable capacity would only be around 90kWh. That would be impressive efficiency though!

Improve efficiency; Increase efficiency; Certainly not reduce efficiency.

I spoke to someone in Tesla Sales regarding my order today. He told me that It was confirmed that the Plaid+ would have 4680s, but not likely to be a structural pack.
When I asked him when it was confirmed, he told me it was at the quarterly meeting.
I don’t see any evidence of that online. Even went through the transcripts.
However I did find this, which
obviously, predates the refreshed s/x announcement...
https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1311881562728747010?
ref_url=https%3a%2f%2fd-5721437811187745951.ampproject.net%2f2101230412006%2fframe.html

C4283ADE-3CD7-4075-9C59-1385C2DCC985.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: sillydriver
I spoke to someone in Tesla Sales regarding my order today. He told me that It was confirmed that the Plaid+ would have 4680s, but not likely to be a structural pack.
When I asked him when it was confirmed, he told me it was at the quarterly meeting.
I don’t see any evidence of that online. Even went through the transcripts.
However I did find this, which
obviously, predates the refreshed s/x announcement...
https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1311881562728747010?
ref_url=https%3a%2f%2fd-5721437811187745951.ampproject.net%2f2101230412006%2fframe.html

View attachment 635406

Tesla Sales lol... they don’t know much about future products, and their knowledge of existing products is also debatable.

The Plaid+ as it is now known will have a structural pack. No point of using 4680 cells otherwise.

Elon discussed structural packs in his chat with Sandy Munro. While he didn’t explicitly mention the Plaid+, it’s obvious it will be tied to 4680 cells per the Battery Day presentation.