Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered new Tesla Model S Performance.... Maybe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I sat down and order our new Tesla this morning. Filled out the form on screen then gave CC info. It said that we would be prompted to fill addition info. We hit the pay button and Tesla charged card and we got a blank white screen. Sat there for 30 mins and still nothing but white screen. We got no conformation email, text or when sigh in our account. Not sure we ordered, but AMEX said they charged $100 on our account.

Confused.

M

Confused after your first interaction with Tesla? Welcome to Tesla. Also, good luck getting anyone to talk to about your problem. This is what is known as being a Tesla customer. Get used to zero (or late at best) communication. For as good as the cars are the "customer service" is equally bad. It's easily out largest complaint with Tesla as a company.

• Funny
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Confused after your first interaction with Tesla? Welcome to Tesla. Also, good luck getting anyone to talk to about your problem. This is what is known as being a Tesla customer. Get used to zero (or late at best) communication. For as good as the cars are the "customer service" is equally bad. It's easily out largest complaint with Tesla as a company.

Interesting. With the ice manufacturers, I find their dealership service model to be no better. Been screwed over multiple times and had my grandfather taken advantage of. And to top it off, the ice vehicles are not great. So I guess I’d take having one good thing at least with a Tesla vehicle being good. After all, dealerships don’t have a good reputation even though they have been around for decades and should have wonderful service by now. But to each their own.

Interesting. With the ice manufacturers, I find their dealership service model to be no better. Been screwed over multiple times and had my grandfather taken advantage of. And to top it off, the ice vehicles are not great. So I guess I’d take having one good thing at least with a Tesla vehicle being good. After all, dealerships don’t have a good reputation even though they have been around for decades and should have wonderful service by now. But to each their own.
Now imagine you're getting screwed the same way but you have ZERO way to call a human being at your local service center and/or escalate it to a supervisor until your situation is resolved. Tell me how crappy customer service is somehow better with fewer methods of contact available. Still not sure how that math checks out.

Now imagine you're getting screwed the same way but you have ZERO way to call a human being at your local service center and/or escalate it to a supervisor until your situation is resolved. Tell me how crappy customer service is somehow better with fewer methods of contact available. Still not sure how that math checks out.

Where did I say that?

You said that, in your experience, the dealership experience was no better which is a tepid way to say that you believe Tesla is doing it better. If your post was your way of saying that you felt that the dealership model of customer service was exactly the same as the Tesla model you sure didn't word it that way.

Im saying that even though I can call a dealership, my family has been f’d over, grandfather suckered into buying a second jeep after he just purchased one even though he had noticeable signs of dementia, and paid for parts that should have been covered under warranty. So yeah....a phone call means almost nothing to me in the bigger picture.

Im saying that even though I can call a dealership, my family has been f’d over, grandfather suckered into buying a second jeep after he just purchased one even though he had noticeable signs of dementia, and paid for parts that should have been covered under warranty.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather but that's an issue with sales, not service.

So yeah....a phone call means almost nothing to me in the bigger picture.

I could not agree less with this statement. Nobody will convince me that having fewer methods of contact is EVER better than having more methods of contact.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather but that's an issue with sales, not service.

I could not agree less with this statement. Nobody will convince me that having fewer methods of contact is EVER better than having more methods of contact.
[/QUOTE]

As far as my grandfather goes, true it was sales in that instance but it was under the same management that handles both sales and service within the same dealership and owner.

I do think Tesla should have more ways to contact. Of course that would be better. I do think it was stupid for Tesla to remove the phone option and especially the chat option since so many do seem to want to still talk to someone directly. Hell, it would be fantastic if they could place a person at each of our doorsteps to just wait if we have an issue. I just don’t agree on the severity of it in the grand scheme of things. Of course it would be nice if they brought back the phone option.

As far as my grandfather goes, true it was sales in that instance but it was under the same management that handles both sales and service within the same dealership and owner.

Now imagine this situation and your only option is to find a problem under "service" in your app to try to get resolution through. Again, it sucks what happened to your grandfather but that still doesn't mean that fewer methods of contact are better. This is the Tesla model.

I do think Tesla should have more ways to contact. Of course that would be better. I do think it was stupid for Tesla to remove the phone option and especially the chat option since so many do seem to want to still talk to someone directly. Hell, it would be fantastic if they could place a person at each of our doorsteps to just wait if we have an issue. I just don’t agree on the severity of it in the grand scheme of things. Of course it would be nice if they brought back the phone option.

You don't agree with the severity until you've personally had a situation like what happened with your grandfather but this time with Tesla. Then you'll understand.

That's what gets me. All these people who say "it's just fine" have never needed it for something seriously bad. I have. I can't tell you how much of a nightmare it is and until you experience it (I genuinely hope you never do w/Tesla) you won't understand.

Wow did I start this? I have bee contacted a few times today by our Sales Advisor. I am good with the service so far...

M
Keep in mind that this is the "service" (it's actually sales, FYI) before they officially get your money. Even then, lots of people have issues at some point before they finalize delivery (more so with used sales to be fair) so be careful to praise a couple of canned emails that were auto-sent. The real test is if/when you have an issue and need to get them to fix something for free.... lots of luck.

Now imagine this situation and your only option is to find a problem under "service" in your app to try to get resolution through. Again, it sucks what happened to your grandfather but that still doesn't mean that fewer methods of contact are better. This is the Tesla model.

You don't agree with the severity until you've personally had a situation like what happened with your grandfather but this time with Tesla. Then you'll understand.

That's what gets me. All these people who say "it's just fine" have never needed it for something seriously bad. I have. I can't tell you how much of a nightmare it is and until you experience it (I genuinely hope you never do w/Tesla) you won't understand.

I don’t recall saying that fewer methods of communications is better. I have said the complete opposite. More than once. I just don’t apply the same severity level to it as you do.

Had my grandfather situation occurred at Tesla, I’d go straight to the location where it occurred and threaten a lawsuit. I’d rent a car if necessary. That’s what needed to happen at the dealer and this would be no different. I didn’t bother just calling the dealership. Even if it is a 3 hour drive one way like it is in my case.

How long have you had this “seriously bad” situation? What is it exactly? It seems like you have been posting this complaint for months on several threads even when someone is excited to buy the car. Why not sell the car and move on if you are that upset? Stress can be a killer.

Last edited:
I don’t recall saying that fewer methods of communications is better. I have said the complete opposite. More than once. I just don’t apply the same severity level to it as you do.

Had my grandfather situation occurred at Tesla, I’d go straight to the location where it occurred and threaten a lawsuit. I’d rent a car if necessary. That’s what needed to happen at the dealer and this would be no different. I didn’t bother just calling the dealership. Even if it is a 3 hour drive one way like it is in my case.

How long have you had this “seriously bad” situation? What is it exactly? It seems like you have been posting this complaint for months on several threads even when someone is excited to buy the car. Why not sell the car and move on if you are that upset? Stress can be a killer.

It's not just one bad situation, it's been several. Across three Model S cars now. It's not an isolated incident on a single car and that's that problem. It's been every single time we've needed to use a service center for repairs. The mobile service has been (mostly) good so no complaints there other than lack of communication at times but the only service centers we have available to use w/o having to drive 20-hours to another one or horrendous.

The first example is not being able to get title work on the first one we bought for six months without being able to talk to a single human who could tell us what was going on. Nothing like a $50k paperweight sitting in the garage because you can't legally drive it on public roads due to the temp tags expiring and the DMV not giving you new ones anymore because it's happened so many times.

We've had appointments that took over a month and when we take a day off of work to take the car in (the service center is 1.5 hours one-way with good traffic) we're told that there is no loaner and our car wouldn't even be looked at until the next week. We were then told that the appointment wasn't a time to have the car looked it to determine what the issues were and if it could be fixed or if parts would have to be ordered but merely an appointment to get the car in queue. We were told that there were two dozen cars in front of us just waiting to be looked at so it would be next week before the car could even be looked at. When we explained about being from out-of-town and why this situation didn't work for us we were treated like idiots as they tried to convince us this is how it works at other car dealerships too which was complete BS. After arguing for 30-minutes they mysteriously had a loaner that they forgot about. Then they forgot to call us for days after the car was complete and when they finally did it was to chew us out because we still had their loaner when all we wanted was our car back and fixed. If we didn't have the loaner they initially told us they didn't have who knows if/when they would have called us to tell us our car was done. Even then they tried to charge us for the work that was done even though we were under warranty and misplaced the information that the car was indeed under warranty. It took lots of convincing just to get our warranty repairs covered under warranty.

The communication couldn't possibly be worse and as a result we've got issues that the mobile tech told us would need to be done at the service center and we haven't even scheduled it due to not wanting to deal with the nightmare again. I could go into more detail with several more examples but just know that they've all exhibited the same types of incompetence so I think you get the point.

This is why I feel compelled to warn others who are looking at the situation through rose-colored glasses to beware of their customer service. If you owned a Toyota you'd be correct in assuming that looking at buying a Kia would yield a similar customer service experience as they're all relatively similar, for better or worse. You have an idea what they're like and you'd be right as you considered buying one of their cars for the first time. Tesla isn't the same for better or worse and the worse is starting to far outweigh the better. It's important that anyone considering buying a Tesla knows what they're getting into because simply assuming it's like any other car customer service is a mistake. It's 100% honest and I'm only trying to prevent others from falling into the same trap we fell into.

Now it's a question of what other manufacturer can make a car even close to as good as the Tesla because I will be long gone even if it means going to Ford or Chevy just to escape this feces show that is Tesla Service. We love our cars but the service is unbearable and, despite what we were sold, these cars do require service so it's unacceptable to put as little resources into your customer care support as Tesla has.