Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered P3+ without home charging option!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there anyone else who ordered a model 3 without having the ability of installing a home charger?!

I live in a building where we have no option but I am 15mins from the Brent Cross super charger in London and I am surrounded by other alternatives.

I usually do less than 400miles per month (i.e. with an Audi S5 I had a range of 280-290miles and I was filling 1/2 times per month) so I am just planning the best alternatives to charge the car 2-3 times per month...

Which one is best alternative to Tesla superchargers? Is it worth doing a monthly subscriptions or better pay as you go?

Thanks

Any of the CCS chargers will be fine, but a point to note is that with your previous cars, if you left t for a few weeks with half a tank of fuel, when you got back to it, you would still have half a tank of fuel. With a Tesla that is not the case. I am not sure how the Model 3 is affected by "Vampire Drain" but Model S&X can lose 1% or more per night.

You may need to charge weekly, but don't let that put you off :)

Any of the CCS chargers will be fine, but a point to note is that with your previous cars, if you left t for a few weeks with half a tank of fuel, when you got back to it, you would still have half a tank of fuel. With a Tesla that is not the case. I am not sure how the Model 3 is affected by "Vampire Drain" but Model S&X can lose 1% or more per night.

You may need to charge weekly, but don't let that put you off :)

That's interesting....well if I get it on August I will still be able to put it on Ebay and sell it :)

To be honest I use the car almost every day but for super short commute (8 miles in total) so hopefully that should keep the battery alive...but I have the feeling I'll spend the next weeks watching videos of how to optimise the battery charges

Reactions: Terry_B58
Unfortunately, short commutes are the least efficient for EV's.

More energy will be used to heat the battery etc than will probably be used for the journey.

You will be fine, if you only do 8 mile trips now, you will be doing 24 mile trips in the M3 :) :) :)

Congratulations on your purchase BTW.

Is there anyone else who ordered a model 3 without having the ability of installing a home charger?!

I live in a building where we have no option but I am 15mins from the Brent Cross super charger in London and I am surrounded by other alternatives.

I usually do less than 400miles per month (i.e. with an Audi S5 I had a range of 280-290miles and I was filling 1/2 times per month) so I am just planning the best alternatives to charge the car 2-3 times per month...

Which one is best alternative to Tesla superchargers? Is it worth doing a monthly subscriptions or better pay as you go?

I think it will be much easier than you think, yes you have the supercharger close by but instead of that you could just make a few changes to destinations that have some charging available such as Polar at supermarkets, I will probably be changing my supermarket shopping for the benefit of charging the car while shopping for an hour or so charge as needed.

If you can work slow charging into your routine then I can't see you having a problem at all with 310 miles range!

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and Terry_B58
I'm in the same position, unable to charge at home. I have identified a few local council fast chargers that are free to use and close to home. There are also a few local supermarkets that have charging stations.
My wife does about 800 miles per month and my aim is to not pay for any charging over the 2 year lease.

Reactions: Rooster6655
I think it will be much easier than you think.

Will it be easy? Vampire drain on the 3 is as bad if not worse than the S/X, the aircon also seems to drain more energy according to Bjorn, and there is no battery heater in winter so take 100 miles range off in winter even before you start driving.

310 miles range will quickly drop when doing short commute. Our 75D X has 200 miles range on a long run, but during the week for my 10 mile daily commute effective range is less than 100 miles.
Assuming you don't want to run the state of charge down to below 20%, and don't want to charge to over 80%, I cannot get through a week of commuting without plugin.

Plenty of people seem to manage with an EV with no home charging, I couldn't and woudlnt own any EV if I didn't have home charging.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Will it be easy?

For me it will be easy to visit somewhere like a supermarket that has destination charging that will allow me to top up and allow me to do my weekly miles, whether you need to do more miles or get less range may mean you charging more regularly. Yes its not as convenient as a home charger but its also not something that I can't live with and helps if its free with Polar membership.

310 miles range will quickly drop when doing short commute. Our 75D X has 200 miles range on a long run, but during the week for my 10 mile daily commute effective range is less than 100 miles.
Assuming you don't want to run the state of charge down to below 20%, and don't want to charge to over 80%, I cannot get through a week of commuting without plugin.

if you don't have a home charger I would be tempted to increase the charge over 80%, let's assume 90% based on your not going to be charging it everyday giving you 279 miles. If your commute is 5 days a week at 10 miles a day that is 50 miles, all you need to do is visit a place twice a week where you can plug in say for 1-2 hours and get 25-50 miles a time and you would be topped up.

The only real reason home charging can't work is if it takes too much of your time up and ends up costing you too much in wasted time, yes where possible have a home charger but I wouldn't consider it being out of the question to use public charging points when you have 300+ miles and a short daily commute.

Check out to see if you have any regular routes that A Better Routeplanner may be able to locate some convenient charge locations for you. You will need to enable non SC locations in the more advanced settings otherwise it will only default to SC ones. You may need to play with the setting for AC charging if you want it to pick up any non fast chargers but tbh its not really used for those so may have mixed results with those. You can click on some chargers to select some charger specific options - like to allow long wait times.

all you need to do is visit a place twice a week where you can plug in say for 1-2 hours and get 25-50 miles a time and you would be topped up.

The only real reason home charging can't work is if it takes too much of your time up and ends up costing you too much in wasted time.

For me the biggest revelation of EV ownership is not having to waste precious time fuelling the car. My family time is already so precious the thought of wasting 1-2hr per week charging at a random spot totally changes the ownership experience.

I just couldn't do it.

For me the biggest revelation of EV ownership is not having to waste precious time fuelling the car. My family time is already so precious the thought of wasting 1-2hr per week charging at a random spot totally changes the ownership experience.

I just couldn't do it.

Yes good point, the charging would have to fit into your existing schedule for it to not waste your time

For battery health reasons only, you would do well to try to use level 2 charging that fits into your routine whenever you can. Continual Supercharging can affect the battery - nothing to worry about, but not optimum. Also, shallow depth of discharge (ie 70% to 90% 4 times) is better than deep discharging the battery (ie 10% to 90% once), again nothng to worry about, but not optimum.

Tesla'a battery warranty covers failure, not degradation, unless it is sudden and extreme.

• Helpful
I thought that the model 3 warranty covers a minimum of 70% battery range within 8 years?

In theory, it does, but a) that is a lot of degradation b) 70% of what is not well defined by Tesla c) that kind of degradation seriously affects supercharging speeds, range, acceleration and resale value. I would not depend upon warranty if the battery gradually degrades. It does cover situations where, for example, a module fails leading to sudden range loss. Battery degradation is usually considered "wear & tear" by Tesla.

Please note, I wasn't saying *never* Supercharge, just trying to pass along some tips from owning a Tesla and reading this forum for many years.

You do not need necessarily a "home charger". With your short trip distances any ordinary household socket capable of 8A/220V would do. If you can park near such a socket at home or work you would have all you need.
To replenish 8m of suburban driving will require less than 3 kWh off the plug. At 8A and modest 220V that takes less than 3 hours - even when allowing for tapering of the charge rate towards a fuller battery. The 8A is the actual charge rate my M3 defaults to when connected with the included charge cable to a home socket. In Switzerland ordinary home sockets deliver at most 10A. Also vampire losses should not be a problem in your relatively mild climate. My Model 3 looses about 2 Km/day in an unheated garage, typically at temperatures between 5-15°C.

• Informative
Reactions: andics

Thanks

I'm in the same position, literally and figuratively. I am also 15 mins away from Brent Cross super charger, but keep in mind there are only TWO stall and they r super busy, having tesla service centre itself is there. Thankfully, there will be 32 stall supercharger near edgware M1 service centre, hopefully it will be opened soon.

Alternatively, u can also apply for dedicated charger for yourself to the flat management. I asked mine and they said, it's possible and it will cost £162 for application alone. I will just wait and see. If life is tough super charging, i will apply for the dedicated one at home.

I used SC for charging without the home charging option for almost three years (ask our building manager who is not really willing to install any charger even though the building has dedicated secured parking...). It’s doable but Brent Cross specifically is busy literally always. South Mimms is bit better but the new Edgeware should be the best bet (providing they will actually manage to open it!)

I'm in the same position, literally and figuratively. I am also 15 mins away from Brent Cross super charger, but keep in mind there are only TWO stall and they r super busy, having tesla service centre itself is there. Thankfully, there will be 32 stall supercharger near edgware M1 service centre, hopefully it will be opened soon.

Alternatively, u can also apply for dedicated charger for yourself to the flat management. I asked mine and they said, it's possible and it will cost £162 for application alone. I will just wait and see. If life is tough super charging, i will apply for the dedicated one at home.

Are we also in the same building?! :)

According to one of the guys at the Tesla store they should install a couple of additional stalls by the end of the year.

Also is the supercharger open 24/7?

I'd definitely do the one in the building but my managing agency / developer are hopeless