Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering a Tesla at a store vs. online

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there an advantage of ordering a Tesla at a store with a salesperson over just ordering online? Can a salesperson add anything price-wise such as an incentive? Will the wait time be the same each way?

Is there an advantage of ordering a Tesla at a store with a salesperson over just ordering online? Can a salesperson add anything price-wise such as an incentive? Will the wait time be the same each way?

Everything will be the same. They just assign themselves to your order immediately to be your sales person. No incentive, no negotiating, no faster delivery unfortunately.

They will just bring you to a computer to Tesla’s website to order lol.

Reactions: Akikiki
The main difference would be if you were looking for a late model demo car or something. They can see cars that do not show up online. If you are looking to find an in stock car that you can take delivery of quickly, or a car with "price adjustments" due to miles or something, you will want to order in a store from someone.

If you are just looking for a brand new, factory ordered car, then I agree with the others, no difference in that case.

I wonder whether the salesperson would get a commission. I went to a test drive, and the salesperson tried to push me to order on the spot.

I dont think they make a commission in the traditional sense of how car dealerships work, however, I think they DO get volume bonuses for completed transactions etc. May sound the same but its not (speaking as someone who used to be a commission only salesperson waaaay back in my career).

So, they have numbers they would like to hit, just like most people who sell stuff.

They definitely get something for each order but someone will get assigned to you if you order online so that is not affected, a sales advisor gets credit for your order in store or online.
By going in store you can meet your sales advisor in person.
If you have already done that, than that advisor you met with will get the credit when you place your online order later.

Other than buying a car already on the lot, there is no difference in where you order. There is no haggling, no hand holding, if you order at the store it is you entering an order online same as you would at home.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Again, thanks for all of your input. I took a test drive today (they let me take the car out by myself) and when I got home the sales advisor had emailed me, thanking me for taking the time to come in. I placed an order online for a M3 Performance so I think she got credit for spending 2 minutes with me.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
@Mr. Big - I actually think it's good that your purchase is linked to a sales advisor. Although they may not have done much to help with the purchase, I found my sales advisor to be an invaluable resource to help answer questions and coordinate the delivery of my M3. The delivery advisor could not be reached and never returned messages that I left so every time I had a question or issue, I would contact my sales advisor who was super responsive and she would take care of things for me. This alone was the one big reason I would go with a sales advisor even if you end up ordering online.

Reactions: ord3r
@Mr. Big - I actually think it's good that your purchase is linked to a sales advisor. Although they may not have done much to help with the purchase, I found my sales advisor to be an invaluable resource to help answer questions and coordinate the delivery of my M3. The delivery advisor could not be reached and never returned messages that I left so every time I had a question or issue, I would contact my sales advisor who was super responsive and she would take care of things for me. This alone was the one big reason I would go with a sales advisor even if you end up ordering online.

Agree. Even when you order online, you get assigned a sales advisor.... but I have no idea where that person is. They might be in a call center somewhere, etc.

I went to a "store" and ordered mine. Even though they walked me over to a computer to order, my sales advisor was invaluable. We bonded over cars (he had come over to tesla from selling BMWs in fact), and even though I did not have a long wait, he was invaluable in providing information for me on cars matched to me, the "born on" date, helping get me scheduled for delivery, etc. After I got my car and got the chrome delete and other wrap stuff I had done, I drove by and showed him and he was super excited about it.

it was very much like having a nice salesperson at a BMW dealership for me. Everyone has had different experiences, but mine was very good in this regard. I recommend making a local contact at the store if possible, but thats because thats how I like to do business.

YMMV.

Agree. Even when you order online, you get assigned a sales advisor.... but I have no idea where that person is. They might be in a call center somewhere, etc.

I went to a "store" and ordered mine. Even though they walked me over to a computer to order, my sales advisor was invaluable. We bonded over cars (he had come over to tesla from selling BMWs in fact), and even though I did not have a long wait, he was invaluable in providing information for me on cars matched to me, the "born on" date, helping get me scheduled for delivery, etc. After I got my car and got the chrome delete and other wrap stuff I had done, I drove by and showed him and he was super excited about it.

it was very much like having a nice salesperson at a BMW dealership for me. Everyone has had different experiences, but mine was very good in this regard. I recommend making a local contact at the store if possible, but thats because thats how I like to do business.

YMMV.
Was this at the Sunnyvale dealership? lol If so, I met the same person.