Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering Model 3 after Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before this thread gets completely off the rails with the discussion on charging times on road trips, there are a few different threads for that discussion already. It someone has a gas car and wants to take it on a trip vs their EV for "reasons", they dont really need to justify it to others, nor is it an affront to EV owners everywhere.

The only reason I made a comment in the beginning on this thread, was that I found it interesting that someone could drive 5 hours in the car without a restroom stop, with their significant other in the car. Their family has much stronger bladders than mine, and much more tolerance of not needing to stretch their legs.

That isnt an inditement or anything, and if that works better for them, more power to them.

If at some point we find 120V 15A for the driveway spot is a problem, I'll replace our NEMA 14-50 in the garage with a Tesla Wall Connector, and put a 2nd Tesla Wall Connector outside, configured to share the 240V 50A circuit via a subpanel. We don't have enough power for a 2nd dedicated 240V 50A circuit, but the Tesla Wall Connector can be configured to share power intelligently. In that setup it would split the 40A charge rate two ways when both cars are plugged in (20A for each), and would give the full 40A to one car if no other car is plugged in. (40A is the max EV charge rate for a 50A circuit, due to the sustained load.) I'm quite certain that even split two ways the single 50A circuit is enough for us.
We’re a two Tesla family and have our wall connectors set up as described above but if we happen to accidentally try to charge both at the same time it flips the breaker. We have the old style wall connectors, can they be configured as you described above?

Oh, we love having two EV’s!

We’re a two Tesla family and have our wall connectors set up as described above but if we happen to accidentally try to charge both at the same time it flips the breaker. We have the old style wall connectors, can they be configured as you described above?
The current gen3 wall connector can be setup how I described. For gen3 the actual communication between the connectors is wireless. Each one must be on its own circuit breaker, hence use of a subpanel. In my setup, if I ever do this, I'll keep the 50A breaker on my main panel and replace the NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage with a subpanel that has two 50A breakers, using the one 50A feed from my main panel.

I believe the gen2 wall connector can do power sharing as well. If I recall correctly, it uses wired communication (I don't know the wiring details), it does *not* require separate breakers for each connector (so potentially no need for a subpanel, you can just wire them in series). I believe it's also more limited in its power sharing capabilities than gen3 but should be able to do the basic sharing that I was describing (even sharing between connectors).

I don't know if the original wall connector had any power sharing feature.

The current gen3 wall connector can be setup how I described. For gen3 the actual communication between the connectors is wireless. Each one must be on its own circuit breaker, hence use of a subpanel. In my setup, if I ever do this, I'll keep the 50A breaker on my main panel and replace the NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage with a subpanel that has two 50A breakers, using the one 50A feed from my main panel.

I believe the gen2 wall connector can do power sharing as well. If I recall correctly, it uses wired communication (I don't know the wiring details), it does *not* require separate breakers for each connector (so potentially no need for a subpanel, you can just wire them in series). I believe it's also more limited in its power sharing capabilities than gen3 but should be able to do the basic sharing that I was describing (even sharing between connectors).

I don't know if the original wall connector had any power sharing feature.
We have two, Gen 2 HPWCs that share one 50A breaker for our Model S and Model 3. Works great.

Reactions: tm1v2
Took delivery of our MY LR one year ago and love it. It’s been on a 6,000 mile road trip across the US and performed spectacularly and I didn’t notice an excessive amount of charge time added to a day’s drive. Ordered a 2nd Tesla (M3 LR) a month ago and EDD is in January. Will probably share our one 14-50 outlet and see how it goes.

Took delivery of our MY LR one year ago and love it. It’s been on a 6,000 mile road trip across the US and performed spectacularly and I didn’t notice an excessive amount of charge time added to a day’s drive. Ordered a 2nd Tesla (M3 LR) a month ago and EDD is in January. Will probably share our one 14-50 outlet and see how it goes.
I think Model 3 and any of Y, S, or X makes a great combo!

Two Tesla family here. Bought our Model S in 2017 and my Model 3 in 2018 after loving driving my husband’s MS so much. Still love both cars. Not to come off like a fanboy but I’m not even sure we would look to buy anything else we’ve been that happy with our cars and driving them.

A nice thing about both cars being Teslas is we use a Tesla corded charger on a 240v receptacle at home, so charging is simple. The Tesla App shows both cars so convenient when we will sometimes switch cars. Easy to switch views of each car with a swipe and gives you command of both cars like for pre-heating or cooling before leaving to drive. No other keys to fumble with. The location map for each car is accessible as well which we find handy when out running errands and wanting the other to pick up something when nearby. Also handy using one app if you were to lock yourself out of your car and your partner can unlock it for you regardless of which car your in. Unlock can be used remotely which we used just yesterday in fact. Put a left out delivery package in our car’s trunk for a neighbor who was going to stop by to pick up. We had to be out running errands before he came and so when he called us, we opened the trunk while shopping across town for him to retrieve it. He was impressed. Really two Teslas is double the fun driving best of all.

The Profiles for driver settings will travel with you (not sure if this is now or announced feature, hasn’t been needed but nice if you ever drive a loaner or rental Tesla down the road).

Kind of off topic but if you ever end up with a Tesla Solar/PW system you can control it using the app. I love the app and ease of use BTW. Think you will too.

I have a AWD Model 3 and while not quite as fast in 0-60 as our Model S it’s great at acceleration on the highway or in traffic when the quick speed is needed or wanted.

The only reason I made a comment in the beginning on this thread, was that I found it interesting that someone could drive 5 hours in the car without a restroom stop, with their significant other in the car. Their family has much stronger bladders than mine, and much more tolerance of not needing to stretch their legs.

That isnt an inditement or anything, and if that works better for them, more power to them.
Just wanted to quote this for truth. I’ve done the long “cannonball run” trips and always found that it kinda ruined the next day. I’d be wiped out and exhausted and just want to stay in bed at a hotel or something.

Road tripping in our Tesla is wholly different. Those charging stops double as safety breaks. None of really should be driving more than 2.5-3 hours without a break, whether the car has more fuel or not.

And just like your wife, my bladder won’t go any further than that anyway. :)

But in all seriousness, plenty of ICE vehicles now prompt for safety breaks in that timeframe as well. It’s a good idea.

Reactions: scoobybri
I want to weigh on my experience with a two EV household. When we got a Y about a year ago it took over the original 30A EVSE, charging with the provided J1772 adapter. my 2012 LEAF got 'demoted' to 120V charging (16a though, as that's what it turns out my upgraded Nissan EVSE does..) which is just fine. I luckily did have the 120V dedicated outlet put in at the same time as my original EVSE. The cars happen to be parked in such a way so I can use the 240v EVSE on the LEAF if needed (which is rare). I've thought about replacing my leaf with another tesla - if I did that I would seriously consider upgrading my 40A line to the current 240v EVSE to a 60A and then putting in two tesla EVSEs, set to 'share'. Not sure what i'd do if I got a new non-tesla EV...

Starting in 2017, we were a 2 EV family with two Chevy Bolts. With that said, we had ICE vehicles as well for long trips. Sure, I did some 500+ mile road trips in the Bolts but with only 238 miles of range, a limit of 50kwh charging, and the crappy state of non-Tesla charging networks, most trips were done in our hybrid or truck. When we both started working from home due to Corona(not the beer), we sold one of the Bolts since it sat unused 95% of the time. As the Bolt battery fiasco continued into summer this year, I requested a buyback from GM for the other Bolt which went through. (Ended up with $2500 more in my pocket than I paid for it.) In August, I took that money and ordered a M3LR. A few weeks later, my wife and I had a discussion about going "EV Only" and decided that between the increased range of the LR variants of Tesla vehicles and the superior Supercharging network, it was feasible to go all EV. Sold the hybrid and truck and ordered a MYLR in early September. Took delivery of the M3LR in early September and the MYLR in early November and haven't looked back. We had a 40 Amp Juicebox charger in the garage for the Bolts that we now use with the M3. I installed a Tesla wall connector for the MY as well.

We have no problem with being EV only now. Most of the long trips we do regularly (~300—500 miles round trip to see friends and family) need less than an hour of charging during the trip, most are even less than that. I can't ever see having an ICE vehicle again. As the market gets more and more affordable 300 mile range EVs, I can't see the advantage of an ICE car. The argument I hear is, "My road trip took me an extra 2 hours of time to charge." Well, if you have a home charger as most of us do, you also never spend any time at the gas station on the other 95% of driving you do commuting or running errands. Let's say it takes you 10 minutes to fill up (7 mins for the pumping and 3 mins cost to get to and from the station), and you fill up once a week, that's 520 mins a year spent pumping gas. That's more than 8.5 hours a year. Unless I'm on a road trip, I never have to stop to "fill up" so compared to an ICE vehicle over an entire year of operation, it is more or less a wash time wise.

Not sure what i'd do if I got a new non-tesla EV...

If you're already invested in Tesla connectors, use a Tesla -> J1772 adapter for the non-Tesla.
...like these:

For daily use at home I'd go with one of the cable versions. They're cheapest, especially the Lectron, and the cable should mean less leverage on the car's charge port.

For keeping in the car I might go for one of the shorter, more expensive TeslaTap Mini adapters, if I thought the space savings in the car would be useful.

...like these:

For daily use at home I'd go with one of the cable versions. They're cheapest, especially the Lectron, and the cable should mean less leverage on the car's charge port.

For keeping in the car I might go for one of the shorter, more expensive TeslaTap Mini adapters, if I thought the space savings in the car would be useful.

nice to have adapter options. I have the Lectron sitting in my Leaf. The real question for multi EV homes will be power sharing. Having good EVSE-power sharing options will become more important as more people join the multi EV group. When I saw tesla selling J1772 gen 2 wall EVSE I was hopeful, but gen 2 and gen 3 don't play together...

I thought it would be a good idea to have nothing but Teslas, but last month we made a road trip from Houston to Brownsville to see relatives and SpaceX. Was going to take a Tesla, but then decided to take the ICE. For the entire trip, we stopped only once for 4-5 mins for gas in Brownsville. The route planner showed charging of our LR Model 3 would have added 4 hours and 5-6 stops to the trip for driving to chargers, and waiting for charging.

That's really does stink because we don't find any excitement from charging stops. Just something to consider.
That really makes no sense. Plenty of superchargers along the way and a V3 in Brownsville to boot. We typically drive the distance of that entire round trip in 3-4 stops in one day with total stops for charging and eating and restrooms taking a total of up to 75 minutes in a day…and that is in a tesla model 3 stealth down to 280 miles of rated range…newer model 3/y get meter range now even with performance/stealth tacked on.