Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering my Model S - Should I order Full Self Driving Now or Later?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

simplesolid

Model S 60 AP2 Glass Roof
Nov 12, 2016
Florida
I already placed my order, but I am questioning whether it is wise to get full self driving now or just upgrade later when it becomes available. I did choose the enhanced autopilot which is a requirement to enable full self driving later.

Any thoughts?

If you're leasing it, then I definitely wouldn't add it.

There is a chance it may not be out for at least 18 if not 24 months. They said they're gonna demonstrate it going between LA -> NY by end of next year, and again that's an estimation.

So to pay $3k for something that you may only get for a year, that's not worth it imho.

I would defer it, keep the cash in my pocket and wait and see. Yes, there is an associated incremental cost, but keep in mind that while you'll get AP2.0 hardware right away, the software won't be ready for a (long) while and during that time, features of AP1.0 will be disabled on and off to fine tune 2.0 before it's released.

In a way, you would be paying for the "privilege" to drive a car with spotty 1.0 at best for part of your lease.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: bradjc
Is it a lease or purchase? how long will you keep the car?

I'd personally upgrade at the time, cos that 3000 i can use in the meantime (buying TSLA)
I like the idea of investing the $3000 in TLSA. When they get AP2 Full Autonomous working it should be worth more than $4000.

Let me guess... neither of you manage money for a living.

I am leasing it for now and may purchase after the term, depending on what new version is out at the time and their capabilities.

You probably won't purchase after the term, because the lease is adding the $7500 to the residual (instead of taking it off the purchase price) as a way to reduce the monthly payments. That will *probably* leave the residual on the high side at the completion of the lease.

Yes, lease would not purchase the Full Autonomous feature. Buy, I'm not sure and am still debating myself. I would expect that they add new functionality to folks with that level, but I would expect it to be "hands on" (nag) for the near term in most jurisdictions. So, cool factor yes. Sleep in the back, probably not.

Let me guess... neither of you manage money for a living.

I never said the $3000 would be worth more than $4000.

However, buying 16 shares at $187.50, you'd need the stock to go to $250 for the $3k-$4k jump.

Consider that by the time FSD software will be ready, it'll be mid 2018. Which means model 3 production will be in full swing, as well as 1 year of Tesla energy products, also tsla reaching profitability, it's very possible. It's been at $250 and above before.

Then again, I bought Tesla at $32 in 2012, so what would I know about investing

I never said the $3000 would be worth more than $4000.

However, buying 16 shares at $187.50, you'd need the stock to go to $250 for the $3k-$4k jump.

Consider that by the time FSD software will be ready, it'll be mid 2018. Which means model 3 production will be in full swing, as well as 1 year of Tesla energy products, also tsla reaching profitability, it's very possible. It's been at $250 and above before.

Then again, I bought Tesla at $32 in 2012, so what would I know about investing

Good thing you didn't give this advice at $200. You know Trump won right?

If you even make a moderate salary $100,000 a year just investing I'll eat my words.

I read the note a bit more closely and this is what it says "While this is occurring, Teslas with new hardware will temporarily lack certain features currently available on Teslas with first-generation Autopilot hardware, including some standard safety features such as automatic emergency braking, collision warning, lane holding and active cruise control. As these features are robustly validated we will enable them over the air, together with a rapidly expanding set of entirely new features"

What exactly do they consider AP2.0 is that Full self driving or Enhanced autopilot as well? Sounds like that all new cars will not have the current AP1.0 features at least not at first, is that correct?

I read the note a bit more closely and this is what it says "While this is occurring, Teslas with new hardware will temporarily lack certain features currently available on Teslas with first-generation Autopilot hardware, including some standard safety features such as automatic emergency braking, collision warning, lane holding and active cruise control. As these features are robustly validated we will enable them over the air, together with a rapidly expanding set of entirely new features"

What exactly do they consider AP2.0 is that Full self driving or Enhanced autopilot as well? Sounds like that all new cars will not have the current AP1.0 features at least not at first, is that correct?

Correct. NO self driving, lane assist, or safety features initially with AP2.0.