Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering Performance option, Is there any reason NOT to order Performance upgrades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to give you a quick background. Over the years, had opportunity to play around with some cars and have some track and HPDE experience. Obviously, Y is not for track purposes.

At this point, I am almost sure to opt for a performance option. Where I am not too sure about is to go for Performance upgrades or not ( mainly lowered suspension and performance brakes). Here are my thoughts

- Not too worried about the range reduction as we don’t take long trips every other week.

- Saw a lot of threads on 21”wheels and possibility of less choice of tires, getting new tires very often etc. I assume these wheels can be sold? . Anyways, don’t see the wheel size as a negative deciding factor

- Performance brakes are nice to have

One thing I am worried is about how low this will be. One of the major reasons for us to go with Y is the raised driving position. Any thoughts on how lowered the Y will be with lowered suspension?
Anything else I am missing?

Appreciate everyone inputs

• Reduced range (280 est. miles vs 316) - maybe you don’t care too much but you might take longer trips later and this gives you a buffer for winter and long-term battery degradation.
  • Increased chance of pot hole damage to wheels / tires
  • Staggered set up means no front/back tire rotations - these cars eat tires in general
  • Performance brakes only matter on a track for reduced fade - won’t give you decreased stopping distances (although better / wider tires that come on 21s likely will).
  • Not sure on drop on Y but 3 perf. package is only 10mm which is negligible

Last edited:
Mostly speculation but thinking the larger rims could affect ride quality. Also seen a lot performance model 3s with considerable damage to the rims. Don't think it's worth it.

Also, hopefully nobody will be offended by this, think the gemini wheels with the covers off look very nice (in my opinion nicer than the uberturbine wheels).

Do love the fact that it lowers the suspension though.

Think it's better to not get the performance upgrade and wait to get an aftermarket air suspension kit like for the model 3.

Last edited: