Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering vs New Inventory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan on placing my M3LR order next week. My question is since it is almost the end of the quarter, will Tesla send me a "new inventory" car from out of state even if I go through the order page? It looks like there are quite a few M3LR with the specs I want in surrounding states. When I place the order, will they just assign me one of those new inventory vehicles and charge me the order price instead of new inventory price?

I'm not sure of the answer, but Tesla dropped the price of inventory cars vs "ordered" in order to increase demand on them. If there are cars in inventory that match what you want, why not just order one?

I suspect the answer is "no"... placing a "new order" will put you in the queue to be matched to a VIN for a car that rolls off the production line.

I'm not sure of the answer, but Tesla dropped the price of inventory cars vs "ordered" in order to increase demand on them. If there are cars in inventory that match what you want, why not just order one?

I suspect the answer is "no"... placing a "new order" will put you in the queue to be matched to a VIN for a car that rolls off the production line.

The inventory is more than 200 miles away from my location. It will only show up on the website if I put in other zip codes. I hope they give me one off the production line. We shall see!

I plan on placing my M3LR order next week. My question is since it is almost the end of the quarter, will Tesla send me a "new inventory" car from out of state even if I go through the order page? It looks like there are quite a few M3LR with the specs I want in surrounding states. When I place the order, will they just assign me one of those new inventory vehicles and charge me the order price instead of new inventory price?
I don't see why not. It's brand new despite different in prices.

I'm somewhat confused here... everything written above makes sense, but doesn't answer this question:
Why would two identical cars, both in inventory, both available for delivery in the same place, be different in price by ~~$2800?
Its just because Tesla is scummy. Lol. I ordered a custom order and they just assigned me to an existing inventory. They charged me full price. I know this because I had multiple Tesla people at the service center tell me thats how it works.

If there is inventory available, they'll assign those cars to custom orders if they match specs and charge full price.