Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

osprey now £1/kWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking forward to hearing about all the charge operators halving their costs to consumers ...

Surely they won' just drag their feet and pocket the governments money.
They will use it to shore-up for 6 months and we'll hear no more about it. But hopefully not

Home electricity: £0.34 per kwh (new price cap) @250wh per mile equates to 8.5p per mile....
Supercharger: £1 per kwh @250wh per mile equates to 25p per mile...
Diesel: £1.80 per liter of diesel = £8.18 per imperial gallon which @45mpg equates to 18p per mile....

I do not think that these prices will be conducive to a mass move away from oil powered cars as the price primum payoff is getting harder to justify...
its crazy isn't it. It looks like it might be cheaper for me to hire a Diesel for long journeys/holiday trips.

• Disagree
Reactions: btc1k and pow216
its crazy isn't it. It looks like it might be cheaper for me to hire a Diesel for long journeys/holiday trips.

at 7p/mile saving even a 2000 mile trip to italy and back is only £104 more expensive in an EV (assuming the first . a drop in the ocean compared to the savings you'd make through the year for regular trips charging from home and certainly not worth hiring or keeping a spare ICE car for.

(assuming the first 200 miles is done with home charging so EV £24 cheaper than diesel, and the following 1800 miles would be £126 more expensive in the EV so £104 overall)

Also Osprey have already come out saying they welcome the change and will update things as soon as they have more detail on other costs so they can calculate the actual end cost to them

So using those figure if a rental diesel cost you £100/day you would need to do 1400 miles each day to make that make sense. Every day of your holiday driving for 20 hours at 70mph.

Also, as we know SuperCharging isn't £1 /kwh, it's 67p at the highest now, and will perhaps come down when this price cap for business comes in. Also Diesel isn't £1.80 /l on the Motorway.

My annual 489mile trip from Oxford to Kintyre using my consumption from last trip will cost me

48kwh @ 7.5p (home) = £3.60
91kwh @ 67p (SuperChargers) = £60.97
Total : 64.67

My previous Diesel was a BMW X1 and it achieved about 30mpg on motorway trips.

489 / 30 = 16.3 gallons @ £1.90/l on the motorway = £140.6

So I'm saving 56% compared to real world diesel

So using those figure if a rental diesel cost you £100/day you would need to do 1400 miles each day to make that make sense. Every day of your holiday driving for 20 hours at 70mph.

Also, as we know SuperCharging isn't £1 /kwh, it's 67p at the highest now, and will perhaps come down when this price cap for business comes in. Also Diesel isn't £1.80 /l on the Motorway.

My annual 489mile trip from Oxford to Kintyre using my consumption from last trip will cost me

48kwh @ 7.5p (home) = £3.60
91kwh @ 67p (SuperChargers) = £60.97
Total : 64.67

My previous Diesel was a BMW X1 and it achieved about 30mpg on motorway trips.

489 / 30 = 16.3 gallons @ £1.90/l on the motorway = £140.6

So I'm saving 56% compared to real world diesel
I’m not disagreeing that electric is cheaper, but I’m curious how your little X1 was so uneconomical? My Discovery 3.0 V6 would approach 40mpg door to door on motorway runs, and my previous petrol BMW 440i (another turbo six) would be easily in the mid-40s. I’m amazed how poor your X1 was.

I find that impossible to believe. You’d have to be hitting autobahn speeds to get that and even then I reckon you could get better fuel economy from a 4 pot diesel than 30 mpg
That's what I got based on fuel pump and map distance (the car itself wasn't very good at measuring distance or speed). That's just over one tank at current prices. The manufacturer figures was 55mpg but that was surely some joke. 4 wheel xdrive 1.8L Diesel.

That's what I got based on fuel pump and map distance (the car itself wasn't very good at measuring distance or speed). That's just over one tank at current prices. The manufacturer figures was 55mpg but that was surely some joke. 4 wheel xdrive 1.8L Diesel.
I think your map measurements were wrong. There is no way a 1.8 diesel X1 is less economical at motorway speeds than a 2.5 tonne full time 4wd Land Rover.

One benefit I get from my EVs is free parking in the borough I live and 95% discount if I park in Westminster. I’m surprised people don’t mention this more when comparing costs.

The difference in electric v fuel to go the 3 miles to Richmond for the shops is pennies but I save £5 on parking. I’m not going to attempt to put that into a total cost of ownership calc but it feels like a regular bonus to me (and I appreciate won’t be around indefinitely).

Reactions: SteelmanMFC
Not sure why we are comparing MPG with run of the mill stuff - surely a more accurate comparison would be against 400bhp+ vehicles (when talking LR and probably 500bhp for M3P). In my experience you'd be lucky to see high 20s with high powered petrol vehicles
My old X3 M40i, which has similar power to a MYLR, would easily get 30mpg and nearly 40 on a motorway run.

I find that impossible to believe. You’d have to be hitting autobahn speeds to get that and even then I reckon you could get better fuel economy from a 4 pot diesel than 30 mpg
I'll back him up on that. My previous car was also a BMW X1 and the mileage on it was horrific even when driving cautiously. I would say I got 30-35mpg max out of it. Awful.

I would suggest a lot of people here are confusing 'best possible' with 'real world' when it comes to MPG of diesel cars. Drive in the rain on a cold day (note I'm heading to Scotland) and you are not going to achieve anything remotely close to the stated figures. Drive a last section along windy Scottish roads with passing places making you accelerate and stop regularly etc.

Don't believe the cars own opinion when you look at the mpg figure, certainly on the X1 is bore no relation to the real value from the pump and google maps distance.

Reactions: MashinBenzin
One benefit I get from my EVs is free parking in the borough I live and 95% discount if I park in Westminster. I’m surprised people don’t mention this more when comparing costs.

Probably because most of us don't live in London! ;) These discounts are not applicable across the country. I have had may Tesla for more than 3 years and have never had a single instance of free or reduced price parking because of having an EV.

Reactions: ACarneiro
I would suggest a lot of people here are confusing 'best possible' with 'real world' when it comes to MPG of diesel cars. Drive in the rain on a cold day (note I'm heading to Scotland) and you are not going to achieve anything remotely close to the stated figures. Drive a last section along windy Scottish roads with passing places making you accelerate and stop regularly etc.

Don't believe the cars own opinion when you look at the mpg figure, certainly on the X1 is bore no relation to the real value from the pump and google maps distance.
No, I’m comparing real world, measured by inputting mileage and litres purchased into fuelly alongside OBC readings. I had two Discoveries, both covered around 7-8k miles. The one that did perhaps 5k of its 7k on motorways averaged 32.9mpg lifetime. Most motorway runs were high 30s. The one that did perhaps 1k out of 8k on motorways and the rest urban managed a lifetime average of 23.4mpg.

Given what the other poster said, it seems that BMW designed an astonishingly inefficient car in the X1. I had a 320d that spent 75% of its life with me on motorways and over 68k tracked miles it averaged 53.7mpg.

Not sure why we are comparing MPG with run of the mill stuff - surely a more accurate comparison would be against 400bhp+ vehicles (when talking LR and probably 500bhp for M3P). In my experience you'd be lucky to see high 20s with high powered petrol vehicles
Much as I like the Model Y, it’s most definitely run of the mill.

The comparison with 400+bhp petrol cars doesn’t really work. When driving efficiently in an EV, there is no penalty for the ‘unused’ performance. I.E. there is no reason why a 500bhp EV cannot be just as efficient as a 200bhp one.

In an ICE car it’s historically different. My 440i or Discovery were both over 300bhp, but at low power demand they were still fuelling and turning six large cylinders; so were never going to compete with a 1.0 triple for economy. The Discovery shows that quite starkly, where it’s urban/low-power demand economy was pretty horrific.

TL;DR - we shouldn’t restrict cost comparisons of Teslas to being exclusively against ICE cars with similar max bhp ratings.

Reactions: browellm
No, I’m comparing real world, measured by inputting mileage and litres purchased into fuelly alongside OBC readings. I had two Discoveries, both covered around 7-8k miles. The one that did perhaps 5k of its 7k on motorways averaged 32.9mpg lifetime. Most motorway runs were high 30s. The one that did perhaps 1k out of 8k on motorways and the rest urban managed a lifetime average of 23.4mpg.

Given what the other poster said, it seems that BMW designed an astonishingly inefficient car in the X1. I had a 320d that spent 75% of its life with me on motorways and over 68k tracked miles it averaged 53.7mpg.
I'm comparing specific journeys, and not averages. If 'most motorways runs were high 30s' I would bet there were some that were lower. We also aren't comparing speeds and clearly as a BMW a certain 'pace' is expected that might only be matches by Audi owners (or Mini's for some reason). My route is also not all motorways, they run out in Glasgow if you are heading to Kintyre and it takes 2.5 hours further on far smaller roads and cresting an 800ft mountain pass (Rest And Be Thankful, Arrochar – Hills & Mountains).

I am absolutely saying that the X1 wasn't an efficient car, but I can read a map and do maths thanks.

Reactions: MashinBenzin