Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

osprey now £1/kWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my friend in Germany with an ID3 just had it ‘serviced’. They did a few checks and changed the brake fluid (another legacy scam) and charged him over 300 euro. Incidentally cars in Germany only come with a 2 year warranty.
Having said that, I was at the Trafford centre supercharger, I was asked if I wanted a complimentary washer fluid and tyre tread check. Followed by a Tesla receipt, If it hadn't been complimentary, the price would have been £200.

We’ve got a 12 year old VW Golf gathering dust in the garage at the moment. I got it out yesterday to give it a run and a clean. It’s got 91k miles on it, but it runs as sweetly as it did when it was new. The interior is fantastic (better than modern ID3s) and it drives well. I reckon it’s worth about £3k, which means I could buy 20 of them for the price of a decent spec Model 3. Then it gives about 40mpg on unleaded (it’s a 1.4 TSi) so about 17p/mile. It’s got me thinking…

Reactions: MashinBenzin
if you can charge at home then most (90%?) of your charging will be done there. Motorway/rapid is expensive but will only raise your average pence per mile a little bit if you don't use them very often.

Realising we're in the middle of an energy crisis this is fairly predictable. We can hope it calms down soon, be a little less hyperbolic in making blanket calculations of 25p/mile which isn't realistic for most users and realise TOC is still likely way lower than an ICE vehicle. Especially if you factor in company cars/BIK and salary sacrifice for those that can qualify.

And demand is still very high with long waiting times so while there may be a blip in demand (would be anyway with cost of living etc) I don't think this is likely to derail progress of adoption much.

if you can charge at home then most (90%?) of your charging will be done there. Motorway/rapid is expensive but will only raise your average pence per mile a little bit if you don't use them very often.

Realising we're in the middle of an energy crisis this is fairly predictable. We can hope it calms down soon, be a little less hyperbolic in making blanket calculations of 25p/mile which isn't realistic for most users and realise TOC is still likely way lower than an ICE vehicle. Especially if you factor in company cars/BIK and salary sacrifice for those that can qualify.

And demand is still very high with long waiting times so while there may be a blip in demand (would be anyway with cost of living etc) I don't think this is likely to derail progress of adoption much.
At the risk of stating the obvious. A bit of a problem if you do long journeys a lot and need to charge on the road. though.
And if you are a company car driver you had better hope your employer does not insist on the HMRC advisory mileage rates:
1663247187602.png

Reactions: TechnoWatch

Not sure if this was in reference to my calculations, but I was just trying to point out the costs for the 2 main ways of charging vs ICE cars. The main selling point to a lot of people was the TCO calculation and with both home charging and public charging getting a lot more expensive, it will adjust the calculations.

There is still an initial purchase premium of at least £10k over a similar quality ICE car, which takes a considerable amount of servicing and fuel savings to make back. For a lot of current owners, the TCO is not the primary purchase driver - but if we want to get a mass switch to clean transport, it needs to be the obvious cheaper option....

Reactions: Irata and Mrklaw
£1 is expensive, if you could get 2-3kWh from a diesel generator then that would be 60p kWh, even 2 per kWh would be 90p they could be running them to power some batteries in the background :)

Yes the overall running cost over the period of ownership is the key figure, short term/one off costs are not as important as the overall picture
At £1 per kwh you are quite right that the cost to produce electricity with a generator would be profitable.... I wonder who will be the first company to deploy "off grid" EV charging that hooks some stalls to an industrial diesel generator....

Reactions: Rooster6655
Not sure if this was in reference to my calculations, but I was just trying to point out the costs for the 2 main ways of charging vs ICE cars. The main selling point to a lot of people was the TCO calculation and with both home charging and public charging getting a lot more expensive, it will adjust the calculations.

There is still an initial purchase premium of at least £10k over a similar quality ICE car, which takes a considerable amount of servicing and fuel savings to make back. For a lot of current owners, the TCO is not the primary purchase driver - but if we want to get a mass switch to clean transport, it needs to be the obvious cheaper option....

No - juts that when rapid prices go up there is often an immediate reaction about switching back to petrol or diesel as though all fuel is that rapid price.

Totally agree.

It's too easy to wear rose tinted glasses to justify a Tesla purchase on TCO grounds, I don't see any facts yet that show any Tesla "pays for itself" over it's lifetime. I really can't see the argument that buying a Tesla is a money saving choice, a far cheaper route would be a brand new Dacia Sandero every year - dirt cheap to run and no complex electronics. Any bill of several thousand is half a new car.

But also, it's absolutely the direction of travel and right for other reasons.

Totally agree.

It's too easy to wear rose tinted glasses to justify a Tesla purchase on TCO grounds, I don't see any facts yet that show any Tesla "pays for itself" over it's lifetime. I really can't see the argument that buying a Tesla is a money saving choice, a far cheaper route would be a brand new Dacia Sandero every year - dirt cheap to run and no complex electronics. Any bill of several thousand is half a new car.

But also, it's absolutely the direction of travel and right for other reasons.

My Tesla Model 3 cost £61,000

I would have lost £12,000 to the HMRC for Corporation Tax, if I hadn't of used the money to buy the Tesla. So I see this as a Discount of sorts. (... and I didn't pay Income Tax or National Insurance to get the car privately).

I did 15,000 miles (14,678 exact) in the last 12 months. It cost me about £180 in electricity (a lot from Solar).

My Petrol Car would have cost me:-

£1.70 per litre (1 x 4.54 = £ 7.72 Uk Gallon)... 32 miles per gallon = (14,678 ÷ 32 = 458.69 UK Gallons) x £ 7.72 = £ 3,541

£ 3,541 - £ 180 = £ 3,361 saving

Keep car for 10 years...

£ 33,610 saving...

£ 61,000 - £ 12,000 - £ 33,000 = £ 16,000 remaining cost

Keep car for 15 years...

£ 50,415 saving...

£ 61,000 - £ 12,000 - £ 50,415 = £ 0

These costs really impact those without home chargers that have to commute.

I only have to pay Tesla SUC prices when I travel which is only 6+ times a year. If I still had my diesel it would be costing me far more. Most filling stations on the major routes I take are still over £1.90 a litre and I’ve seen many at £2.05p a litre. The press takes an average to get their £1.70p a litre. But even then it’s still much cheaper taking the EV.

Other than that I buy my electric from Octopus intelligent or charge from solar.

IMO the government should be making public transport super cheap or free, especially trains to help the masses. I don’t understand why it’s over 50% cheaper for me to fly from Glasgow to London then taking the train. Stupid. The actual network is subsidised by the tax payer anyway.

I really can't see the argument that buying a Tesla is a money saving choice, a far cheaper route would be a brand new Dacia Sandero every year - dirt cheap to run and no complex electronics. Any bill of several thousand is half a new car.
It is a good point, out of warranty costs are likely to be expensive on a Tesla and it is something that need to be considered over the lifetime of the car, running costs are cheap but not necessarily the only factor to consider.

The initial purchase price is also something that need to be considered, for example if you have £55k in the bank and you can buy a Tesla or buy a Dacia for £13 and invest the other £42k over 5 years then the sums are going to be different.

It is a good point, out of warranty costs are likely to be expensive on a Tesla and it is something that need to be considered over the lifetime of the car, running costs are cheap but not necessarily the only factor to consider.

The initial purchase price is also something that need to be considered, for example if you have £55k in the bank and you can buy a Tesla or buy a Dacia for £13 and invest the other £42k over 5 years then the sums are going to be different.

Applying that logic, you could buy a second hand sh*t heap and save more. But we are ruled by our heart not by our heads :)

Reactions: speedyranger74
My Tesla Model 3 cost £61,000

I would have lost £12,000 to the HMRC for Corporation Tax, if I hadn't of used the money to buy the Tesla. So I see this as a Discount of sorts. (... and I didn't pay Income Tax or National Insurance to get the car privately).

I did 15,000 miles (14,678 exact) in the last 12 months. It cost me about £180 in electricity (a lot from Solar).

My Petrol Car would have cost me:-

£1.70 per litre (1 x 4.54 = £ 7.72 Uk Gallon)... 32 miles per gallon = (14,678 ÷ 32 = 458.69 UK Gallons) x £ 7.72 = £ 3,541

£ 3,541 - £ 180 = £ 3,361 saving

Keep car for 10 years...

£ 33,610 saving...

£ 61,000 - £ 12,000 - £ 33,000 = £ 16,000 remaining cost

Keep car for 15 years...

£ 50,415 saving...

£ 61,000 - £ 12,000 - £ 50,415 = £ 0

You do appear to have circumstances to allow you to extract the most value our of the car!

A couple of things to note on the calculations:

- You would save corporation tax on any type of car purchase, the issue would be the BIK costs which differ considerably.
- A lot of the savings you are seeing are coming from solar as you electricity bill would more likely be £1000-£1500 without that.
- You have not taken into account taxing, insuring, servicing and repairs over the longer periods (But that should make things more favorable to the EV until something major goes wrong such as a needing a new battery pack)

You do appear to have circumstances to allow you to extract the most value our of the car!

A couple of things to note on the calculations:

- You would save corporation tax on any type of car purchase, the issue would be the BIK costs which differ considerably.
- A lot of the savings you are seeing are coming from solar as you electricity bill would more likely be £1000-£1500 without that.
- You have not taken into account taxing, insuring, servicing and repairs over the longer periods (But that should make things more favorable to the EV until something major goes wrong such as a needing a new battery pack)

Yes, I do know I'm clutching at straws, but that's my 'Wife' Justification Plan, and I'm sticking to it.

Get nearly 500 BHP to play with in the meantime 😀 😍 🤩

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ACarneiro