Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Other automakers using Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk: Tesla Superchargers are now being used 'low-key' by other automakers - Electrek

Tesla is apparently allowing other automakers to use the Supercharger network. There’s no confirmation of where this is happening, but the article points out that it would be easiest in Europe because we use the CCS connector. Nor is there any indication of whether other makes would pay the same price for charging as Tesla owners.

If this becomes widespread then one of the main advantages of owning a Tesla could disappear.

Maybe it is/will be deals with non mass-market car producers. So, if you let say Ferrari or other niche producers into the network then it would have little effect on Tesla owners but may give Tesla a big chunk of cash?

Maybe this guy was trying to charge at Banbury........

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201215-172934.png
    Screenshot_20201215-172934.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 201
Enabling all EVs to use superchargers would seem to fit with Elon Musk's primary objective, which is to drive a switch to EVs. Having a charging network tied to a particular make of car seems a bit of an anathema to me, anyway, and always has. What we need are charging facilities that use a common interface and a seamless payment method, so if Tesla are helping to drive that then more power to their elbow.

Well if it’s opened up to other car makes I’m not getting a Tesla again. Crap collection experience, no discounts, and shoddy build can only be tolerated whilst there are other benefits etc. For which Supercharger is the main one.

I do feel over time the ‘Tesla effect’ will diminish, with most car brands switching to electric. If only I could afford a Taycan!

It made perfect sense for Tesla to create their own network back when they did and make it proprietary.
In 20 years time the idea that there were chargers that would only work with certain cars will seem crazy to people.
The only question really is when is the right time to go from one state to the other. If, as seems to be the case, the SuC network is currently still a big driver of demand for Teslas and the alternatives are nowhere near as good. That does not currently seem like a sensible time from Teslas point of view.
Its been suggested that the other make geared up to use superchargers is Aptera in which case I wouldn't panic just yet.

It makes sense. Whatever you may think of Elon altruism the simple fact is these guys like money - hence build with the minimum facilities and servicing and no PDI etc. Since Elon is also in the 'selling electricity' game with his battery packs buying it cheap it makes sense to encourage sales of leccy via his charger network and charge other manufacturers towards expanding it.

I think it is most likely a small chinese company producing EV's that are likely that he is talking about, that would probably be "low key", unless Tesla are going to go round replacing all the cables of the superchargers with considerably longs ones (which wouldn't really fit in with the design of the tombstone either), then it's most likely a small company that is producing some cars (like I said probably in china) that will have the port installed in a similar position so that the cars can reach it.

Reactions: JamesG601
I think it is most likely a small chinese company producing EV's that are likely that he is talking about, that would probably be "low key", unless Tesla are going to go round replacing all the cables of the superchargers with considerably longs ones (which wouldn't really fit in with the design of the tombstone either), then it's most likely a small company that is producing some cars (like I said probably in china) that will have the port installed in a similar position so that the cars can reach it.
Surely it would be easier to turn the car round? ie Nose in.

Tesla's killer app (besides its cars) are its Superchargers. This is great from a competitive perspective along with stock price, as it puts Tesla well above any 'competition'. There's just no better charging network right now, especially in the States. If these are opened to everyone it helps the competition a whole lot, but the reality is that in an EV future where there's a lower incidence of ICE vehicles, there would simply be a WHOLE lot more Superchargers. But, Tesla has already done the work here, and I wonder if it's too early to open things up if people are buying other marques given the number of Superchargers and Tesla's delivery pace. There are already lines for Supercharging at peak hours at certain locations. Why would it make sense for Tesla being the only one financing and building Superchargers if anyone can use 'em?

At the very least, other marques who are allowed to use the Superchargers should pay for the privilege and help finance the buildout of more Supercharging stations. After all, this is a colossal benefit to manufacturer (and their customers) to be able to use this ready-made and growing network.

This might be a good goal for 5-10 years from now where all charging networks are standardized, but I think it's too soon to do it now without some serious skin in the game from other marques.

Reactions: phil4
In the UK at least, I think if Tesla did this today, and without restriction, it would absolutely devastate their sales here. Many people buy a Tesla because their charge network is better by a country mile. If suddenly the playing field is level, then choosing any other EV is suddenly a much more attractive proposition for many, and there are now far more choices at all price points.

Sure there's many thing Tesla does well on top of the charging network, but that's the very simple to understand one that's trotted out in every single review. Whether you get a few less Wh/mi is a little more nuanced.

If I had to guess, the "low key" refers to them allowing certain small manufacturer's provided they don't make it PR, and/or the way in some countries they have to install a charger that can be used by all.

I guess if they offered it at Ionity level prices that might be a cash cow without increasing usage too much.
Or how about surge pricing? The busier the supercharger is the higher the price for non Teslas.
Empty, £0.30 per KWh.
Take the last space and its £1 per KW
That should keep the usage down to manageable levels

I can also envisage that it might start to be hard for Tesla to access good new sites, or expand existing ones, since a resistance to one make chargers will start to develop as the number of Non Tesla EV's increases. Giving over your limited space and power supply to Tesla only chargers will come to be seen as a negative for businesses rather than a positive as it is now.
When there are lots of other expensive EV's then a bank of half empty chargers will be seen as lost revenue by the businesses that host superchargers Once that happens, if it isn't already, then making the network public, even on draconian terms, might actually be a necessary step to its continued existence and expansion. Ionity can still claim to be a public network even if no one can afford to use it

I guess if they offered it at Ionity level prices that might be a cash cow without increasing usage too much.
Or how about surge pricing? The busier the supercharger is the higher the price for non Teslas.
Empty, £0.30 per KWh.
Take the last space and its £1 per KW
That should keep the usage down to manageable levels

Or, just allow non-Teslas to charge at triple the price. Non-Tesla EVs can use them in a pinch and it's still egalitarian but the Superchargers strongly favor Tesla owners.

Reactions: 26ct2143
Look at the big picture - lots more tesla chargers used by all and Tesla cafe's charging £20 a cup and you can only use their systems via starlink. Every purchase puts you into a lottery for a mars flight.
People will naturally complain when the automated coffee system throws the cup at you randomly - but hey, it's beta coffee so put up with it!