Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ouch! MS 90D repair saga begins...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, you took my car in for what appeared to be cosmetic and mechanical issues totaling $X. You've had the car for ## months now, and per the first supplement the cost to repair (and subsequently the time) went up to $Z. Now, via a Sup2, we're looking at frame damage, which is an additional $Y, not to mention time I am still without the car. Based on how this car is marketed, I am aware of it's all aluminium body construction as well as its high strength steel sub frame. Upon learning about the frame damage, and observing the body shop's procedure to correct the frame damage, I am extremely uncomfortable with taking possession of this vehicle again, as I believe it is now, and forever, permanently damaged in a way that affects its ability to drive safely. Can you please explain to me my options for proceeding?

Something like that.
"Upon learning about the frame damage, and observing the body shop's procedure to correct the frame damage, I am extremely uncomfortable with taking possession of this vehicle again, as I believe it is now, and forever, permanently damaged in a way that affects its ability to drive safely." -- given that neither the shop, nor Tesla, agree with this assessment, why would the insurance company listen to this argument? The shop is doing all sorts of expensive stuff (parts and labor) solely because Tesla says they should, so clearly they are not trying to do any sort of "minimal" job here, and they (the shop) insist that everything will be right as rain when they're done, including having Tesla service go over it for final "approval".

As for any monetary arguments, it is hard to see how I'd be bringing anything to the insurance company's attention that they're not already fully aware of. I mean, it's their money, after all. As for the time it is taking, it is hard to conceive of something that weighs less heavily on their minds.

"Upon learning about the frame damage, and observing the body shop's procedure to correct the frame damage, I am extremely uncomfortable with taking possession of this vehicle again, as I believe it is now, and forever, permanently damaged in a way that affects its ability to drive safely." -- given that neither the shop, nor Tesla, agree with this assessment, why would the insurance company listen to this argument? The shop is doing all sorts of expensive stuff (parts and labor) solely because Tesla says they should, so clearly they are not trying to do any sort of "minimal" job here, and they (the shop) insist that everything will be right as rain when they're done, including having Tesla service go over it for final "approval".

As for any monetary arguments, it is hard to see how I'd be bringing anything to the insurance company's attention that they're not already fully aware of. I mean, it's their money, after all. As for the time it is taking, it is hard to conceive of something that weighs less heavily on their minds.

I get that. You just asked how I'd phrase it, and thats how'd I'd phrase it. I believe if you say that to them, you'd get a total loss and a check. There are certain things/triggers that an insurance company has to react to when it comes to a claim... something (when i was in the industry) our software had to account for.

EDIT: I don't distrust the experts here... but there are things at play that are above the nobility of it it all: The body shop making more money by getting a check to repair it, the insurance company not having to pay the total loss claim, etc. As long as YOU accept their answers, they will continue to do whats best for them while staying within the letter of the law. I personally wouldn't let them total my car, after a ton of thought about the modifications and how I'd never get the same luck again, but YMMV.

I know how to plead. I was rear-ended at a stop light on June 30 and the final repairs won’t be completed until this Friday. That’s nearly 5 months for what was not serious damage. It some sense it’s been a major comedy of errors.

My service center has to address a few issues that the body shop couldn’t, primarily a failed cinching actuator for the lifegate latch, which proabably requires a software or firmware solution.

It’s been a huge PIA and has taken more patience than I have. I plan to file a DV claim against the offending driver’s insurance company, but can’t do that until all the repairs and costs are finalized.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
The shop says:
"I am replacing rather than straightening your frame rail and the other structural components. Due to Tesla guidelines, and it being high strength aluminum, it is best to have it replaced. It is against their guidelines to have these parts repaired.

To ease your piece of mind, Tesla is a very safe vehicle. Extremely safe. Vehicles are now built with sub frames. Older vehicles had 1 frame under the whole vehicle. So it would make sense to total it if it was damaged and needed to be replaced. Because we can section in pieces of the frame rail, a vehicle does not total as easily as it used to when it has frame damaged."

So that clarifies that bent frame elements are not being straightened, they're being replaced. The Celette is used to identify them, and assist with the replacement process, but not, in this case, for actual straightening.

For those keeping score at home, they just filed another $3k supplement. So each supplement is ~1/3rd the previous one, thus I should expect another at $~1k, and at $~300, and...

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Progress:
20171128_152609.jpg

20171128_152619.jpg

The shop says they're hoping it will be read for paint by the end of next week. Fingers crossed...

Btw, I did speak to State Farm explicitly about the question of could/should it be declared a total loss. They said, quite emphatically, that it was nowhere near a total loss either in terms of damage or cost to repair. Maybe the situation is different when you're not at fault, but when you are I just really don't think the insurer cares what you "feel" about things, are "comfortable" with, etc.

My hopes for done-by-Thanksgiving are now a distant memory. Done by early-December came and went. Done by Christmas was just dashed in the past couple of days. The car is ready for the paint shop
20171220_163103.jpg
20171220_163110.jpg

so now I'm hoping for by-the-end-of-the-year. If even that doesn't happen we'll be past a full three months for this repair.

I should mention that late in this process a Tesla Body Shop Advocate got involved and has helped things along. My only question is: WHERE WAS HE TWO MONTHS AGO? If your Tesla is facing anything beyond fairly minor repairs I think you really want to get one of these guys involved, right away.

My hopes for done-by-Thanksgiving are now a distant memory. Done by early-December came and went. Done by Christmas was just dashed in the past couple of days. The car is ready for the paint shop
View attachment 267955 View attachment 267956

so now I'm hoping for by-the-end-of-the-year. If even that doesn't happen we'll be past a full three months for this repair.

I should mention that late in this process a Tesla Body Shop Advocate got involved and has helped things along. My only question is: WHERE WAS HE TWO MONTHS AGO? If your Tesla is facing anything beyond fairly minor repairs I think you really want to get one of these guys involved, right away.

Why the hell is the autopilot camera just dangling like that? Not only putting stress on the wiring but pulling your headliner aswell..

How did you get an advocate? I’m now +2 months in and this is the state of my car as of this past Tuesday.

Attachments

• 27C875DA-9846-4609-BE8E-CD9157A84EB4.jpeg
    27C875DA-9846-4609-BE8E-CD9157A84EB4.jpeg
    444.7 KB · Views: 90