Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, so I was minding my own business on saturday and someone placed their SUV in reverse instead of drive and backup into my car. The good thing, not too much damage.....bad thing, I now have to take my care to a bodyshop so we an get some items handled. Suggestions on great places to take my over the weekend to get things handle in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area?

Thanks

Do NOT take your car to a Tesla approved body shop. You will get overcharged, and wait 2-3x as long.

My "Tesla-approved" body shop wanted $4500 and 6 weeks for a rear fender with a little ding above the wheel well, because they wanted to rip the entire back end off and replace it. I took it elsewhere, and they took 4 days, and $1500.

Better yet, get a quote from each place, and use your best judgement. Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jlv1
If it's their insurance paying for it, take it to an approved shop. If it's your insurance, I would get a few different quotes. My approved shop in Colorado is charging $9500 for a moderate dent to a rear quarter panel. It's not my insurance paying for it so I really don't feel like fighting it anymore. Accident happened in Feb. They are going to keep the car for 6 weeks to replace one panel. If it's just plastic it should only take a couple weeks to once the parts are in. If any aluminum is damaged, they're going to wring the insurance company for every dollar they can get.

Approved shops will usually cost 3 times more than non-approved and they will take 3 times longer as well. YMMV.

With the higher costs and longer times, I can see insurance rates skyrocketing over the next few years.

Take it to a Tesla approved body shop. There's no reason not to, since the other driver was at fault. I've had my S repainted at John Eagle in Dallas (one of the two Tesla approved body shops) and they did a horrid job. Over spray on the rubber, paint drips running down the side, horrible orange peel, debris in the paint. I wouldn't let them paint my child's wagon. Trade Secret, the other body shop, has painted my S twice and did a great job. They're not fast and their communication can sometimes be spotty, but the finished result was very good.

If there's going to be a huge delay getting parts, convince the at-fault insurance company to pay the extra couple hours labor to have the body shop reinstall the bumper so that you can drive the car while the parts are on order. That way you don't have to drive a crappy ICE car. The other insurance company will likely be unwilling to do that at first because their knee jerk reaction will be that they don't want to pay the extra labor to have the bumper installed and then removed when the parts arrive. Keep pushing on them until you reach a human who has a functioning brain and can comprehend that paying for a couple of extra hours shop time is way cheaper than paying for two months of car rental. I've gone this exact route recently and it was worth the trouble to avoid a nasty rental car for two months.

Reactions: dbldwn02