Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

out of luck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,
We just reserved an X last week to take advantage of the free super charging transfer and the $ 7,500 tax credit due to the fact that the delivery window was Nov-Dec when we ordered. Now our RN says Dec-Jan. On top of that they changed the color from Midnight Silver to Stealth Gray.
This means we now might miss the tax credit AND the transfer, should it not come in within 2023. Could this be due to the color change?

Thomas

Hello All,
We just reserved an X last week to take advantage of the free super charging transfer and the $ 7,500 tax credit due to the fact that the delivery window was Nov-Dec when we ordered. Now our RN says Dec-Jan. On top of that they changed the color from Midnight Silver to Stealth Gray.
This means we now might miss the tax credit AND the transfer, should it not come in within 2023. Could this be due to the color change?

Thomas
I’m in the same boat…sans the color. I’m hoping what Tesla anecdotally did at the end of this past quarter regarding the FSD transfer (honoring the transfer for those approved prior to quarter-end into October) will be repeated for us…should our order arrive past year-end.

I’m in the same boat…sans the color. I’m hoping what Tesla anecdotally did at the end of this past quarter regarding the FSD transfer (honoring the transfer for those approved prior to quarter-end into October) will be repeated for us…should our order arrive past year-end.
That'd be good news. It has been said to us they would honor it should the deadline pass, but will we still have full tax credit, or reduced?
The color I actually like, but did it slow down the line?

I am on the same boat. Is your delivery adviser said that to you? Do they have something in writing?
Our local sales rep said that he thinks well get it before year's end. But that was before our EDD changed (now twice), to Dec. 19-February 13 :eek:
We took all screen shots of ordering with the EDD window at Nov-Dec. And yes, he said they are known to honor it, but I am not a very optimistic person by nature.

Our local sales rep said that he thinks well get it before year's end. But that was before our EDD changed (now twice), to Dec. 19-February 13 :eek:
We took all screen shots of ordering with the EDD window at Nov-Dec. And yes, he said they are known to honor it, but I am not a very optimistic person by nature.
Thanks for the information. We have same EDD window. My placed my order on 10/22 and in SoCal.

Thanks for the information. We have same EDD window. My placed my order on 10/22 and in SoCal.
(Taking everything with a grain of salt, and we all are doing here is mostly speculating ;) ):
Just talked to my rep and he said that delivery dates move along as new orders come in and have nothing to do with where we are in line.
Also, Above reply said he saw a "Stealth Gray" in transit (probably a showroom car), which means they already have the stealth as a batch on the production line, so we might be already in line. Again, all wishful thinking at the moment and I'm a pesimist, so....

(Taking everything with a grain of salt, and we all are doing here is mostly speculating ;) ):
Just talked to my rep and he said that delivery dates move along as new orders come in and have nothing to do with where we are in line.
Also, Above reply said he saw a "Stealth Gray" in transit (probably a showroom car), which means they already have the stealth as a batch on the production line, so we might be already in line. Again, all wishful thinking at the moment and I'm a pesimist, so....

It does have generally to do with where you are in line, as well as production batches and where Tesla is trying to ship to. For example, beginning of October, there was a plethora of MXP produced and being shipped to the East Coast. Those who ordered that configuration first got theirs first.

It's not a specific, 'I ordered first so I get it first,' but generally, that is the case. It's more complex because only Fremont plant makes the Model X and they target a specific production build for a while, with a specific color, and then switch it again later. It's more efficient that way.

Tesla would much rather count that sale by the end of the quarter versus next quarter. If they can get you are car this quarter, they will do it. They need to stem the share price drop.

Reactions: msm859
Tesla would much rather count that sale by the end of the quarter versus next quarter. If they can get you are car this quarter, they will do it. They need to stem the share price drop.

They do, but they can only produce so many cars. They are probably already at max capacity for the Model X. They would've sold as many as they could last quarter already. When I ordered, it was a few minutes just when the dates on their website switched online from Sept-October to October-November (this happened on 9/6). It's already November and I still haven't gotten a VIN yet. I'll probably get a delivery closer to the end of November.

Keep in mind that the Model X sales pales in comparison to the Model 3/Y. Model X is not a high volume vehicle for them. They can easily sell and produce way more 3/Y than the X. Their main focus is on the 3/Y and the upcoming CyberTruck.

Also, they probably don't make any or as much profit from the X than the 3/Y, given that they had price increases of the Model X Plaid ($5k increase!) They only kept it below $80k for the tax credit.

Last edited:
They do, but they can only produce so many cars. They are probably already at max capacity for the Model X. They would've sold as many as they could last quarter already. When I ordered, it was a few minutes just when the dates on their website switched online from Sept-October to October-November (this happened on 9/6). It's already November and I still haven't gotten a VIN yet. I'll probably get a delivery closer to the end of November.

Keep in mind that the Model X sales pales in comparison to the Model 3/Y. Model X is not a high volume vehicle for them. They can easily sell and produce way more 3/Y than the X. Their main focus is on the 3/Y and the upcoming CyberTruck.

Also, they probably don't make any or as much profit from the X than the 3/Y, given that they had price increases of the Model X Plaid ($5k increase!) They only kept it below $80k for the tax credit.
I am sure their profit margin is far greater on the X vs the 3/Y. They raised the price on the X Plaid because they probably were having high enough sales and they knew 3 days later they were going to offer to transfer FUSC to potential buyers - worked on me - otherwise I would not be buying. As to the Model 3, I suspect demand is down with a lot of people waiting for the refreshed Highland to be available in the States.

Reactions: jboy210