Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of Spec doing a Cybertruck vs. R1T vs. Lightning vs. Silverado EV cross country race. Who wins?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of spec and bearded tesla guy have both released part 2 on youtube but it's not the last segment for either.

At the moment the Cybertruck is slightly ahead of the Silverado and the Rivian is not far behind. The F150 can't keep up.
The interesting part is the Tesla guys have been able to use all V3s and have been aggressively making short hops to maximize charge rates, but on the other side of San Antonio they will need to use 3 V2s in a row, plus they will likely need to use a couple more V2s before the race ends. We'll see how much that slows them down.

The Lightning will probably be 2 days behind

• Funny
Reactions: BrianGragg
Too bad you can't rent a Silverado EV for a couple of weeks to test it out towing and see if it will meet your needs. My neighbor will be headed down to Dickson Tennessee for Rodeo Days in July. Would it be doable to tow a 4 Horse Trailer with 2 Horses with a Water tank and Hay 200 miles each way with the Silverado?

My guess is they will finish several hours behind. It doesn't help that the Ford team seems to be more interested in what fast food options are available near the chargers than maximizing efficiency. They do talk about how comfortable it is though.

The sad part is Ford has enough data to unlock more range or more efficient charging. But their software department is so piss poor it’ll never happen.

My guess is they will finish several hours behind. It doesn't help that the Ford team seems to be more interested in what fast food options are available near the chargers than maximizing efficiency. They do talk about how comfortable it is though.

The road trip videos I watched and the F150 Lightning forum posts I read convinced me to rent a Lightning last summer and tow a 7500 lb trailer around Prince Edward County Ontario Canada (home of "Sandbanks" provincial park, a gem!) for a week. That experience completely matched what I watched and read previously. The Lightning is a truly comfortable and capable road trip vehicle, and towing was effortless and easy with all the tech and capability of the Ford.

So : I pick up my new Lightning this week! I am fully aware of the charging curve, towing range and other so called limitations. In my experience last year, driving for 2+ hours with a trailer with adaptive lane keeping and traffic aware cruise enabled (something no Tesla can do when towing), is game changing. Loved blue cruise hands free on the ride home without the trailer. The charging was easy when towing, we picked sites 2 hours apart and charged on 240V 30A overnight.

For the price of a Model Y performance, I will be driving a truck with 131 kWh and front charge port (much preferred location when towing and fast charging).
We aren't selling our 2013 Model S, it's perfect and free (charging, connectivity, and purchase is fully depreciated long ago).

Reactions: fhteagle
The sad part is Ford has enough data to unlock more range or more efficient charging. But their software department is so piss poor it’ll never happen.
The charge curve of 150 kW deep into the pack SOC is interesting, and unique, whereas every other truck had high peaks and then dropped rapidly throughout the charge. It's clear the Lightning is the slowest on long road trips. But the price for comfort/storage/performance is compelling if you consider more than charging speeds.

Too bad you can't rent a Silverado EV for a couple of weeks to test it out towing and see if it will meet your needs. My neighbor will be headed down to Dickson Tennessee for Rodeo Days in July. Would it be doable to tow a 4 Horse Trailer with 2 Horses with a Water tank and Hay 200 miles each way with the Silverado?
I believe they rented the Silverado EV from Hertz for the cross country race. It is the lower range version (3WT model). Max tow rating is 12,500lbs.
Wouldn't a 4 horse trailer require a 1 ton truck? All the electric trucks are more comparable to half ton class.