Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outage connecting to cars today (July 13)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My S100D has no LTE service starting this morning and is still out as of 8pm tonight.
Everything works when connected to WiFi, or tethered to my phone WiFi which is Telus

Been to Toronto, Oakville and Brampton. No LTE in my Model S in any of those places.

Everything is OK according to Rogers Network Status | Experiencing a Network Outage | Rogers, but I've learned over the years that they cannot be trusted.

I am bit confused... when you guys say your LTE service has been restored, does actually say "LTE" in your car?

My cellular connection has almost always been poor (1 or 2 bars at most) but I was curious if your cars actually say "LTE" the same way a cell phone says it?

I am bit confused... when you guys say your LTE service has been restored, does actually say "LTE" in your car?

My cellular connection has almost always been poor (1 or 2 bars at most) but I was curious if your cars actually say "LTE" the same way a cell phone says it?

Yes, on mine it says LTE or 3G depending on which service the car connects to. Doesn't have the name of the carrier though.

So let the guessing as to the cause of the outage begin:

1. Rogers had a problem
2. Rogers wanted more money for the AT&T roaming Teslas
3. Tesla did not pay the bill
4. The old standby - It was Russian hackers

Nevertheless it sure shows how dependent we are on online connectivity.

Yep, had the same issue all day till about 9pm. How do you tell if your cars on Rogers or Bell/Telus? I thought it was a standard AT&T Card in all cars and Canadians were always roaming regardless.

Back in 2013 when we could get into service mode, it was possible to see that it was AT&T and roaming. They may well have changed service since then, of course.

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe
Image of LTE connection. When it was out, it was replaced by a WiFi symbol with a line through it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 51
Stupid question, sorry. Model 3 coming. Does the car connect through your phone, or is it a separate subscription? I assume parked at home it's connected to your wifi?

For ModelS/X it is a separate connection (not through your phone) all handled by tesla. No fee/subscription for owners. As per the thread we're not even sure what network it is on. Although I've heard it's Rogers a few times...

For ModelS/X it is a separate connection (not through your phone) all handled by tesla. No fee/subscription for owners. As per the thread we're not even sure what network it is on. Although I've heard it's Rogers a few times...

Thanks, Still don't really understand the net connection even after searching. Most updates probably happen at home via wifi from what I can find out.