Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outdoor Charging station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The HPWC is rated for outdoor use - they're used outdoors as officially installed destination chargers at a lot of places.

Artsci's custom pylon is way, way better though.

I've been contemplating a printed full-size supercharger pylon for my garage. Sliced into pieces for printing on a couple of not-humongous-beds, and then epoxied back together and wired up with the HPWC and lighting to look like the real deal. If you're feeling motivated that would be an even more amazing outdoor installation. You'd probably want to use PETG for outdoors long term.

Reactions: boaterva
My HPWC is mounted outside and has gotten through two Canadian winters plus a lot of rain and wind without any issues. I originally considered something like the ClipperCreek but decided to stick with the Tesla charger because 1) it supports much faster charging for just a few dollars more, and 2) no need to fumble with the J1772 adapter every time you plug in.

I have my HPWC outside. I picked a location with a small overhang so it is a little protected from rain. No issues so far.

The landlord may have the right to own anything hardwired in. You have to evaluate his/her personality. Might be better to check with them first and agree it goes with you and that you will remove the wires and patch the hole, etc.

I have a Clipper Creek LCS-25. I bought the plug in version, but have been using it for my Volt for 2 years with no issues or regrets. It was overkill for my Volt, but will charge a Model S (had an overnight test drive) to the tune of 14 miles per hour. The LCS-20 will charge slower.

Clipper Creek is a solid brand and makes a quality product. I won’t get the Tesla one because the S I ordered only replaces my Volt, my wife still loves hers. I can use the clipper Creek with the Tesla, I can’t use the HPWC with the Volt.

GE 50 Amp Temporary RV Power Outlet-U054P - The Home Depot

If you don’t have any idea about electricity, I’d hire it out. If you have a basic understanding, it’s oretty easy.
Id be as uncomfortable as touching the motor of an S. I'll stick with an electrician. Thanks for the product link as well. Has anyone tried using Tesla's recommended electricians? I can't tell if they would be inclined to charge more, because it's for a tesla, or be fair, since they're recommended..

Id be as uncomfortable as touching the motor of an S. I'll stick with an electrician. Thanks for the product link as well. Has anyone tried using Tesla's recommended electricians? I can't tell if they would be inclined to charge more, because it's for a tesla, or be fair, since they're recommended..
I found the Tesla electrician to be priced significantly higher. Recommend getting a few quotes.

In my case, the Tesla recommended electrician was the cheapest by far.

Reactions: brkaus