TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Outside temperature way off

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by MacGreiner, Oct 1, 2017.

1. MacGreiner

MacGreiner Member

I have just noticed that my outside ambient temperature is show 20-30 F higher than it should be. Any ideas as the where the sensor is located and if anyone else has had this issue?

2. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

I have. Usually when I try to get a temperature after the car has been driving a long way or just after supercharging. Both of these I attribute to warmth coming off the battery. It corrects itself over time or after a few miles on the road.

3. David29

David29 Active Member

Also, if it is parked in the sun, it will tend to show a temperature higher than the air temperature because the pavement heats up and in turn warms the sensor.

4. MacGreiner

MacGreiner Member

This is when driving along at both local and highway speed. Doesn't seem to correct over time. Smells like something that needs a tech to look at by the looks.

• Informative x 1
  5. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

Yeah, mine has been all over the board.

6. UnpluggedP

UnpluggedP Vendor

Outside temp sensor (black and white clip) is located in the front bumper gap shown here. We have seen this issue occasionally. It seems that hot air can get trapped and it will read incorrectly. Removing the bumper and re-positioning the sensor slightly seems to work.
    Outsidetempsensor.jpeg

• Like x 1