Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overheat protection not working US version

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Instructions from the manual below. If it’s not working as documented, make a service appointment.

Cabin Overheat Protection​

Cabin Overheat Protection prevents the cabin from getting too hot in scorching ambient conditions. While not necessary to activate whenever you leave Model 3, the climate control system can reduce and maintain the temperature of your vehicle’s cabin. This can prevent the cabin from getting too hot after leaving it parked in the sun, making the vehicle more comfortable when you return. Cabin Overheat Protection may take up to 15 minutes to enable once you exit the vehicle. This feature is intended for passenger comfort and has no impact on the reliability of your vehicle's components.

To turn on, touch Controls > Safety > Cabin Overheat Protection and choose:
  • On: The air conditioning operates when the cabin temperature exceeds 105° F (40° C), or the selected temperature if available, on the touchscreen or mobile app. Customizing temperatures may require the most recent version of the mobile app.
  • No A/C: Only the fan operates to prevent touch surfaces from getting too hot.
  • Off: Disables Cabin Overheat Protection.
You can also enable Cabin Overheat Protection remotely through the mobile app by touching Climate. Swipe up on the bottom menu and select a setting under Cabin Overheat Protection (see Mobile App).

Cabin Overheat Protection operates until 12 hours has elapsed once you exit Model 3, or until the Battery energy drops below 20%, whichever comes first. Using Cabin Overheat Protection requires energy from the Battery, which may decrease range.

For our 2022 M3LR, we have NEVER used the Cabin Overheat Protection. Since our car is a Daily Driver with pretty much the EXACT same time of departure, we have setup a Preconditioning routine under "Schedule" in the application. It took me a bit to figure this out when we first purchased but it literally works wonders! We have it set up to leave my wife's work and whether it is the winter or now summer, the car preconditions based upon the temp we have set.

For our 2022 M3LR, we have NEVER used the Cabin Overheat Protection. Since our car is a Daily Driver with pretty much the EXACT same time of departure, we have setup a Preconditioning routine under "Schedule" in the application. It took me a bit to figure this out when we first purchased but it literally works wonders! We have it set up to leave my wife's work and whether it is the winter or now summer, the car preconditions based upon the temp we have set.
Cabin Overheat Protection is for keeping your cabin temperature from getting too high when the car is parked outside in the sun. What does preconditioning have to do with that?

Reactions: rpiotro
Cabin Overheat Protection is for keeping your cabin temperature from getting too high when the car is parked outside in the sun. What does preconditioning have to do with that?
It has a TON to do with that! In our situation, my wife leaves the Tesla parked at work. She gets in at 6 AM and leaves at 4 PM. The entire time she is at work with the car sitting she could really care less about the interior temps. When she is ready to leave, Preconditioning, sets up her "comfy temp" by the time she sits in the car.

Why waste energy using the Cabin Overheat Protection if she will NEVER enter the vehicle prior to the end when she stops seeing patients?

As Tesla states... "This can prevent the cabin from getting too hot after leaving it parked in the sun, making the vehicle more comfortable when you return."

But why not make the Cabin temps cooler/hotter? The Schedule in the app does just that!

Preconditioning is both a Battery thing and Cabin temp thing. In COLD temps (where we live) it is super useful for preconditioning in the event of having to charge. In HOT temps (aka FLA), I doubt that the preconditioning does a thing for the battery but it does make the climate NICE when she is out of patient care and can be in a comfy car.

Preconditioning under "Schedule" in the Telsa App, does both if needed. So in the winter she has a warm car with Preconditioning of the battery. In the Summer/hot temps, she has a nice temperature to arrive into the car and it is a comfy temp.

Does that make sense?

It has a TON to do with that! In our situation, my wife leaves the Tesla parked at work. She gets in at 6 AM and leaves at 4 PM. The entire time she is at work with the car sitting she could really care less about the interior temps. When she is ready to leave, Preconditioning, sets up her "comfy temp" by the time she sits in the car.
If you're using Cabin Overheat Protection simply to make the car comfortable before you get in to drive, then yes, you can use preconditioning or just turn on the AC before you get in the car. If you're trying to protect the interior of the car and its contents from getting too hot when the car is parked, Cabin Overheat Protection is the way to go.

If you're using Cabin Overheat Protection simply to make the car comfortable before you get in to drive, then yes, you can use preconditioning or just turn on the AC before you get in the car. If you're trying to protect the interior of the car and its contents from getting too hot when the car is parked, Cabin Overheat Protection is the way to go.
If you feel that items in the car that need to be under the prescribed temp for Cabin Overheat Protection go for it.

I would ask about how you mention your statement:
If you're trying to protect the interior of the car and its contents from getting too hot when the car is parked, Cabin Overheat Protection is the way to go.

So the interior of the car is vulnerable to higher temps? Contents are another story and if the "contents" need to be cooled under the specified temps then go for it!

Agree to disagree on this. It is super easy to have the car to chill/heat on a regular basis depending on what your needs are.

@ColoradoMike: Nothing to agree or disagree on here. The OP created this thread because they were having trouble enabling Cabin Overheat Protection, and I tried to help them with that. Whether you think that feature is useful is besides the point, no one is telling you to use it.
I agree! Cabin Overheat is something that folks may want. We elect not to. I apologize for the argument @EVRider-FL

Reactions: brianbcc
I had a similar situation the other day. COP was on with A/C enabled, but the temp climbed up into the 120s. I was able to cool it using Climate on the app, but COP didn't seem to be doing its thing.
Did COP actually turn on at some point? You should get a notification from the app when it does (unless you’ve disabled the notification). Also, I’m not sure if the interior temp displayed by the app is completely accurate.

• On: The air conditioning operates when the cabin temperature exceeds 105° F (40° C), or the selected temperature if available, on the touchscreen or mobile app. Customizing temperatures may require the most recent version of the mobile app.
Thank you, I have been wondering about this as well. I often see that my app shows the Tesla is at 100F, but once it goes over it says "Cabin overheat protection" as well. I was wondering that it didn't work as it allowed the car to be 100F. But now I understand that it pushes the temp down again to 100 after it reaches a temperature above the threshold.

I noticed mine stopped working recently too, I’m sure it’s a bug with the last update I got. If I open the app it does seem to kick on and the interior temp starts going down. I’m on 2023.12.9 but it’s downloading 2023.20.4.1 as I type this, we’ll see if this fixes it.

What temp is no ac cabin overheat protection supposed to kick on? 104?

Right now the app shows the cabin is 144 and the fans aren't running. The battery is almost fully charged.

That doesn't seem right to me.
Read the manual. Read all the conditions and see if you satisfy all of them:
Has it passed at least 15 minutes that you have the car parked? Have you customized the temperature higher (default is 105° F (40° C))? Has 12 hours passed since you last left your car (Cabin overheat does not continue beyond that).
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

You talk about fans, so are you using the no A/C mode? It has been observed by many that no A/C mode many times can't keep the car cool enough. It's possible the car eventually gives up.

I have read the manual and it isn't working as described which is why I posted my question. The manual also doesn't explicitly state the temp that no ac turns on, but I'm assuming it triggers at 104 as well.

I've checked it throughout the day and I've never seen the fans running. The fans are actually pretty loud and the car is parked outside my office window and I've also not heard them running.

But it seems like I'm not alone and this could just be a bug. It wouldn't be the first time and it won't be the last.

Reactions: brianbcc
FYI= On 2023.12.300.1 . 2023 MSP. OP is working normal. Set to 90F, received notification OP activated on iPhone (Tesla App) and noted cabin temp decreasing. Note that App does Not show air coming out of vents when selecting Climate, but HVAC system is indeed on.

Reactions: Big Earl