Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overpaid for FSD, No Early Access - Class Action Time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think it's reasonable to expect a company to guarantee that the price of a product will never go down.

On the other hand, I have yet to find another situation where one couldn't cancel a preorder for something that hadn't shipped yet, and buy it again at the cheaper price if it saw a price drop prior to delivery.

I think we can all agree they were insinuating it would always cost more if ordered post delivery to motivate people to buy it up front (and it got me!).
Yes.
If price changes happen all the time, how come people who ordered FSD in March of 2019 were given refunds? They got what they paid for right?
I must have missed this part of the FSD drama. Who got refunds and why?

Yes.

I must have missed this part of the FSD drama. Who got refunds and why?

People that ordered FSD in March of 2019 post-delivery were given refunds to make their total cost only $2K after initially paying $3K or sometimes even $5K.

People who ordered FSD a month or few earlier were told "sorry but no refund for you. We will give you early access instead" which never happened.

See this tweet (and thread) from Elon: Elon Musk on Twitter

People that ordered FSD in March of 2019 post-delivery were given refunds to make their total cost only $2K after initially paying $3K or sometimes even $5K.

People who ordered FSD a month or few earlier were told "sorry but no refund for you. We will give you early access instead" which never happened.

See this tweet (and thread) from Elon: Elon Musk on Twitter

If you look at the context of that tweet, it's pretty clear to me that it's referring to people who bought after the announced sale (where their systems did not reflect the correct price). I understand that it could be read differently out of context. But I think from context they were clearly not offering AP & FSD at half price to all the people who had already bought one or both of those options.

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 5.15.51 PM.png

It does not apply to people who had already bought FSD before any of the discounts.

Also your claim does not show up in this quite straightforward flowchart:
Troy Teslike EAP/AP/FSD Price Reduction & Repackaging Flowchart

Last edited:
Reactions: DriveMe
If you look at the context of that tweet, it's pretty clear to me that it's referring to people who bought after the announced sale (where their systems did not reflect the correct price).

View attachment 474305

It does not apply to people who had already bought FSD before any of the discounts.

Also your claim does not show up in this quite straightforward flowchart:
Troy Teslike EAP/AP/FSD Price Reduction & Repackaging Flowchart

You see where it says beta tester next to FSD tho? Lie detector test says.....that was a lie!

You see where it says beta tester next to FSD tho? Lie detector test says.....that was a lie!

Sure, that part is pretty legit. But it makes no sense to get money back from Tesla - they never said you get FSD for $2k. The second bullet point is the one in your original post that has merit. So I am not sure why you were asking Tesla for a discount in the email thread. You can continue to push to get into Early Access Program. Good luck.

Reactions: M109Rider

This is really the key part for me.

I was mildly annoyed about the $1k but would have shrugged it off. It was the complete falsehood that we'd be invited to the early access program (they had a whole blog post about it and took it down a few weeks later!), and then the ersatz "solution" that the early FSD buyers would get priority for software updates instead (which was a pretty crappy substitute for actual entry to early access program), but even that turns out to be untrue as they seem to have decided to just give *all* FSD buyers the updates a little earlier than people without FSD, again eliminating even a token gesture to those of us who paid more first and will get the FSD features last because we need hardware upgrades to use them… if they're ever even released.

Sure, that part is pretty legit. But it makes no sense to get money back from Tesla - they never said you get FSD for $2k. You can push to get into Early Access Program. Good luck.

I mean they kinda did...read Elon's twitter thread again:

"If you bought a Tesla before yesterday's price reduction, you can have FSD at half cost" <-- Well hey, i DID buy my Tesla before then!

Then he says "If you bought EAP, FSD is $2K" <-- Well hey, i DID buy EAP!

Then he says "If anyone already paid $3K, they get $1k back" <-- Well hey, i DID already pay $3K!

Reactions: pilotSteve
I was mildly annoyed about the $1k but would have shrugged it off. It was the complete falsehood that we'd be invited to the early access program (they had a whole blog post about it and took it down a few weeks later!), and then the ersatz "solution" that the early FSD buyers would get priority for software updates instead (which was a pretty crappy substitute for actual entry to early access program), but even that turns out to be untrue as they seem to have decided to just give *all* FSD buyers the updates a little earlier than people without FSD, again eliminating even a token gesture to those of us who paid more first and will get the FSD features last because we need hardware upgrades to use them… if they're ever even released.

YES TIMES A MILLION. Half the people here disagreeing don't even know all the info that you just outlined...frustrating.

"If you bought a Tesla before yesterday's price reduction, you can have FSD at half cost" <-- Well hey, i DID buy my Tesla before then!

I edited my first post above - you probably missed it:

"If you look at the context of that tweet, it's pretty clear to me that it's referring to people who bought after the announced sale (where their systems did not reflect the correct price). I understand that it could be read differently out of context. But I think from context they were clearly not offering AP & FSD at half price to all the people who had already bought one or both of those options."

I mean, that would be kind of an unreasonable conclusion, don't you think? Plus, as far as context goes, there is the complexity of the repackaging of EAP to AP for people - so actually no one bought AP or FSD exactly as constituted at the time of that tweet (you bought a subset of that new FSD package, so it's a different product with a different price). It is true that NO ONE had bought AP at that point - so there would be no refunds on that regardless of how you read it - except the people who may have paid too much for it as outlined in the Teslike flow chart. But prior to the repackaging no one had bought AP. They had only bought a superset of AP (EAP). So obviously no refund or half price would have applied to that part.

So like many people, i paid the $3K for FSD when purchasing my car back in fall of 2018. I've been slowly waiting for entry to the Early Access Program as Elon promised (instead of a refund), but it seems that isn't happening. Apparently there are some rumors that Early Access has been totally cancelled too!

I emailed Tesla about getting either a refund or entry to Early Access and received the following:

"I would be happy to provide more information on this for you. Tesla often makes price and package changes to offer more and compelling options to customers. Something we have always tried to be transparent about is how we pass savings along to our customers, and these changes are definitely in the spirit of that.

However, we do not make any changes retroactively to prices offered or grant any other discounts or offers. Please know that we appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback on your experience, as we value feedback from those who have helped us get to where we are today. I will absolutely pass along your feedback about these changes.

The Early Access Program is at capacity and the program is no longer accepting additional participants. Should we expand the program, participants will be invited based on a number of factors including car configuration, location and delivery date."

I replied with:

I appreciate the quick response, but this is not what Elon specifically stated would happen. He stated “If anyone already paid $3K, they should get $1K back”

Here is his tweet that says that: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1101738512406188032

Tesla has also stated that Elon can use his twitter to release official company information, so I feel that this should be honored.

And now i've just gotten this back from Tesla which is basically saying "you aren't getting anything":

The tweet you are referring to was for those that had purchased it in early March when first announced. Those who had already purchased the upgrade with delivery do not qualify for a refund. We thank you for being an early adopter of the Autopilot feature, and we apologize for any confusion as we have changed the feature structure and adjusted pricing. At this time, we are unable to make any changes retroactively to prices offered, or grant any other discounts, refunds, or offers. Again, thank you for taking the time to pass this feedback along.

I really think it's about time for some legal action on this front since Tesla has made 2x false claims to owners in my situation:
  • Claim that FSD would cost more post-delivery was false and used to coerce buyers into paying more during initial purchase
  • Offer to provide early-FSD buyers with access to the Early Access program which never occurred.
I know a lot of people will hate this....but who's with me besides @run-the-joules ? lol
Nah but definitely time to run to the internet and feel entitled.

• Disagree
Reactions: kbecks13
So like many people, i paid the $3K for FSD when purchasing my car back in fall of 2018. I've been slowly waiting for entry to the Early Access Program as Elon promised (instead of a refund), but it seems that isn't happening. Apparently there are some rumors that Early Access has been totally cancelled too!

I emailed Tesla about getting either a refund or entry to Early Access and received the following:

"I would be happy to provide more information on this for you. Tesla often makes price and package changes to offer more and compelling options to customers. Something we have always tried to be transparent about is how we pass savings along to our customers, and these changes are definitely in the spirit of that.

However, we do not make any changes retroactively to prices offered or grant any other discounts or offers. Please know that we appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback on your experience, as we value feedback from those who have helped us get to where we are today. I will absolutely pass along your feedback about these changes.

The Early Access Program is at capacity and the program is no longer accepting additional participants. Should we expand the program, participants will be invited based on a number of factors including car configuration, location and delivery date."

I replied with:

I appreciate the quick response, but this is not what Elon specifically stated would happen. He stated “If anyone already paid $3K, they should get $1K back”

Here is his tweet that says that: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1101738512406188032

Tesla has also stated that Elon can use his twitter to release official company information, so I feel that this should be honored.

And now i've just gotten this back from Tesla which is basically saying "you aren't getting anything":

The tweet you are referring to was for those that had purchased it in early March when first announced. Those who had already purchased the upgrade with delivery do not qualify for a refund. We thank you for being an early adopter of the Autopilot feature, and we apologize for any confusion as we have changed the feature structure and adjusted pricing. At this time, we are unable to make any changes retroactively to prices offered, or grant any other discounts, refunds, or offers. Again, thank you for taking the time to pass this feedback along.

I really think it's about time for some legal action on this front since Tesla has made 2x false claims to owners in my situation:
  • Claim that FSD would cost more post-delivery was false and used to coerce buyers into paying more during initial purchase
  • Offer to provide early-FSD buyers with access to the Early Access program which never occurred.
I know a lot of people will hate this....but who's with me besides @run-the-joules ? lol

Stop being a CRY baby

• Disagree
Reactions: kbecks13
I'm not going to run out to the Wayback Machine, but if someone can pull up this blog post referenced, obviously whatever that was said in that referenced post was what Elon was summarizing. Again, for context. The blog post no longer exists on Tesla's website as far as I can tell. Again, this tweet appears to be for people who bought a Tesla, but 1) bought only EAP (so eligible to buy at FSD at $2k) or 2) did not buy either (so can buy just AP for $2k, or both AP & FSD for an additional $3k, so $5k total). The others (you!) were promised Early Access as I recall from that blog post, perhaps after some more Twitter pronouncements (which I do not dispute).

So in correspondence with Tesla I would have never mentioned getting money back, but focus on Early Access. I think it's legit to want to be part of Early Access, as that is what they said would happen, as I recall.

Speaking of Early Access, are we sure that people who bought the FSD package are not in the early release group? Did you get Smart Summon on the Thursday or Friday that it was first released? It was never clear to me whether that release was staged according to what people had bought.

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 5.31.34 PM.png

But I think from context they were clearly not offering AP & FSD at half price to all the people who had already bought one or both of those options

No, they were offering FSD to anyone who purchased EAP for $2K at that time. Anyone except people who already paid $3K for it who had seen ZERO features to that date.

So as @run-the-joules says, we basically pre-ordered something and they then reduced the price but didn't honor that lower price for many people.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I'm not going to run out to the Wayback Machine, but if someone can pull up this blog post referenced, obviously whatever that was said in that referenced post was what Elon was summarizing. Again, for context. The blog post no longer exists on Tesla's website as far as I can tell. Again, this tweet appears to be for people who bought a Tesla, but 1) bought only EAP (so eligible to buy at FSD at $2k) or 2) did not buy either (so can buy just AP for $2k, or both AP & FSD for an additional $3k, so $5k total). The others (you!) were promised Early Access as I recall from that blog post, perhaps after some more Twitter pronouncements (which I do not dispute).

So in correspondence with Tesla I would have never mentioned getting money back, but focus on Early Access. I think it's legit to want to be part of Early Access, as that is what they said would happen, as I recall.

Speaking of Early Access, are we sure that people who bought the FSD package are not in the early release group? Did you get Smart Summon on the Thursday or Friday that it was first released? It was never clear to me whether that release was staged according to what people had bought.

They do *seem* to be putting FSD people at the front of the line when something goes to general release, but the FSD-overpayers don't get any sort of priority within that group. It may literally be the only thing they've followed through on when it comes to FSD :D

Reactions: JBT66
No, they were offering FSD to anyone who purchased EAP for $2K at that time. Anyone except people who already paid $3K for it who had seen ZERO features to that date.

Not exactly. I understand what you are saying, but, the answer is you should have waited to buy FSD.

They were offering FSD for $3k to people who had access to none of the newly packaged FSD features (so really $5k since you had to buy AP too - whatever).

They were offering FSD for $2k to people who had access to some of the newly packaged FSD features.

Those who had already bought FSD got to keep it for the $3k they paid - and got access to the Early Access Program.

o as @run-the-joules says, we basically pre-ordered something and they then reduced the price but didn't honor that lower price for many people.

I mean, sure, I suppose. But that's something that has been beat on repeatedly since this happened.

You get the peace of mind of knowing you are committed. I have spent considerable mental anguish over the last few months agonizing over whether to buy FSD. You did not have to deal with that pain. I chose not to buy it. I should have bought it at $2k. I was kicking myself. I continue to kick myself. I don't want to buy it at $3k. I really don't want to buy it at $4k - what it costs now. Now, I am priced out forever. :(

You never had to worry about the price going up! You were locked in! That's real value.

Last edited:
Reactions: mnevar
@AlanSubie4Life I went ahead and grabbed it from the Wayback machine:

Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

Key excerpt follows:

Any customer who bought a Tesla prior to this week’s price adjustment will be able to upgrade to Autopilot for $2,000 or Full Self-Driving capability for an additional $3,000 (those who previously purchased Enhanced Autopilot and want to upgrade to Full-Self Driving capability only pay $2,000). In other words, for a customer who previously hadn’t purchased Autopilot plus Full Self-Driving, they will soon be able to do so for $6,000 less than before. Customers who previously purchased Full Self-Driving will receive an invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program (EAP). EAP members are invited to experience and provide feedback on new features and functionality before they are rolled out to other customers.

@AlanSubie4Life I went ahead and grabbed it from the Wayback machine:

Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

Key excerpt follows:

For this topic, the key excerpt is:

"Customers who previously purchased Full Self-Driving will receive an invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program (EAP). EAP members are invited to experience and provide feedback on new features and functionality before they are rolled out to other customers."

That is the promise to prior FSD buyers. I recommend limiting your class action lawsuit to getting access to the Early Access Program, plus monetary damages for lack of access in the intervening months. ;)

For this topic, the key excerpt is:

"Customers who previously purchased Full Self-Driving will receive an invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program (EAP). EAP members are invited to experience and provide feedback on new features and functionality before they are rolled out to other customers."

That is the promise to prior FSD buyers. I recommend limiting your class action lawsuit to getting access to the Early Access Program, plus monetary damages for lack of access in the intervening months. ;)

Yeah, I left the initial part in there to provide context on "previously", for the sake of those who want to avoid clicking the link.

I'm still not the "get the lawyers" sort, just the type to gripe and grumble and hope someone does the right thing.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life