Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ovo UK - New EV Charge tariff

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have a charger installed yet, does anyone know if this will work with the 3pin plug charger that comes with the Tesla?
I think it should do yes, as it works with the Tesla’s API of the car, regardless of the charger you have, so you should be all good.

I suppose when you first plug it it and it starts charging for a short while, it’s assessing how fast a charger you have and works back from there for the charging session later. No idea though. That’s how I imagine it would work, otherwise it’d have no idea when to start charging. Only way to tell is ask them in the app or just give it a go.

Reactions: wanderingstep
Still no Reply from the app team.

All savings data re-appeared this morning though. Not sure if it was a coincidence or a result of my email or not. So maybe they fixed it and closed my query or it just started working again by itself.
Only thing different over that time (the last 3 days) was that we hadn’t plugged the car in for the 3 days (although it was on the drive all the time and connected to WiFi.). May be a reason? - No idea without any feedback from them.

All good again though for now.

- EDIT -

The app team replied saying the data was showing their end and asking if my data was showing.

So at least the response time seems fairly reasonable.

Reactions: AndyWarrington
Hello I am new to all this EV lark and I am a Yorkshireman (Tight but not as tight as a Scot :) ) anyway I have a model 3 Performance (if that makes a difference) and I am with OVO and am wanting to use the OVO Charge anytime tariff, I have some questions is someone could help me please;

I am getting a charger installed but not sure which one to get ? the Tesla integrates with the app already so I wouldn't have to get one that does this would I ? like a Ohme Home Pro, my installer was quoting me for a Myenergi Zappy, if they are any good, as I say I am very new to this so if these questions are trivial I am sorry in advance

Any help would be massively welcome

Thanks

Tony

I am getting a charger installed but not sure which one to get

My two-penny-worth - would be good to hear other views

Zappi is good if you have Solar and House Battery and want to divert excess Solar PV to Car (e.g. once battery is full). Zappi "stable" has other integrated-gadget-options (such as turning on your immersion if you have excess Solar PV)

If you don't need that option then I'm not sure that Zappi has benefits over any other brand

Tesla charger is "dumb", so no APP / won't do anything clever. Personally I like that - its always-live, so plug in and car will charge without having to "start" anything in an APP. So if a mate rocks up they can just pug in a start charging. Everything is then done only from the Tesla APP

Let's assume you want to charge overnight (on a cheap rate). You can schedule the (Tesla) car to charge at, say, Midnight. Car will remember the location for that schedule (so if you plug in somewhere else it won't wait for midnight :) ). If you come home late and plug in it will still charge (not sure how much slack there is, but pretty sure its a good couple of hours).

However, Tesla will not STOP the charge at the end of your Cheap Rate. if you have 4 hours Off peak overnight tariff that's about 100 - 110 miles. So if you have been on a trip, and come home needing more than that you have two options:

1. You are going somewhere tomorrow and need the car filling up. You are going to have to pay for some peak charging
2. you aren't going anywhere tomorrow and you would like the car to fill up over 2+ nights
3. Get a wall charger that does have start/stop time (but that may be inconvenient during the day if you want to charge, or pre-condition, the car)
4. Get some 3rd party API software, such as TeslaFi, that will STOP the charge at the end of Off Peak (and if it suits you such APPs will schedule turning on climate just before you head off to work, and again (if you plug in at work) before you leave to come home)

For #2 (other than having a charger that will stop at the end of off peak, or using an API APP) some people set the Tesla Charge Limit to, say, 10% above "current" - where 10% represents the amount of charging that will happen within a 4 hours window. Then you have to increase the limit (tomorrow) by another 10% (someone else can tell you what percentage can actually be done in 4 hours on a 7kW home charger)

If you have a charger which will stop at the end of Off Peak then (as I understand it) you will have to fiddle with its APP if you want to charge at any other time - to charge during the day, or to pre-condition the car for departure - turn on the Climate, or heat the battery (in winter) -so you have to use Charger APP to override it and also use Tesla APP to start Climate etc.

The Tesla charger also has a button, on the wand, to stop the charge and unlock the charger. When you go out to the car in the morning that can be convenient - rather than having to do some other action - there are a number but for example you could open the APP and "Unlock" the charger

Installation requirements vary - and that will impact the cost of install. I'm no electrician, but its things like whether you need an earthing rod and some other "safety" features. Some incorporate those "in the box", others require Sparky to fit them separately. If the charger is outside that might increase what is needed compared to if the charger is in the garage (AND not situated such that the cable could be used to charge the car outside)

Whilst installing your car charger you might want to consider:

A second car charger - for the future. Or run a cable for it "ready". I have 2x chargers at a reasonable distance apart - where we park the two cars. But I wish I had put both of them in the middle, between the parking spaces, so that either-cable would reach either-car.

A commando socket? Useful as a backup for the wall charger (its 7kW (27 MPH) same as the wall charger, whereas a 13AMP socket is only 2.4 kW (8 MPH) in practice). You'd need to get a Commando adapter for the UMC. It would give you the ability to charge the car if your wall charger broke. (And ability to charge a 2nd car if that would be infrequent such that Commado was "good enough")

A 13 AMP external socket - for a pressure washer / whatever - if you don't have one on your driveway at all.

Consider where you park and where will be convenient for the charger. Tesla charge port is rear-left-corner - which way do you come in to your drive? Is it an in-and-out such that you could choose to come in the "other way" and thus have passenger side closest to the house (or make sure the brand you choose has cable long enough to reach round, but there is some risk of the sticking-out-plug getting knocked by e.g. White Can Man in a hurry - or just looking a bit unsightly)

Hello I am new to all this EV lark and I am a Yorkshireman (Tight but not as tight as a Scot :) )

Best intro to a post I think I've ever read on here - congrats!! 😂😂😂😂

Any charger will do really, unless as explained by @WannabeOwner you want to integrate something else like solar, a bit more digging to be done on which suits your application to be done there. If you're like me and just charge the car, I use Ovo anytime tariff very well and straight forward with my V2 Hypervolt

Let's assume you want to charge overnight (on a cheap rate). You can schedule the (Tesla) car to charge at, say, Midnight
With the Ovo Anytime tariff it's not overnight for the cheap rate - it's anytime and the timing of it is done through the Anytime app.

It's more of 'I want my car to be ready by 'X o'clock' and with a predetermined charge level and the app works it all out' rather than a time slot. 👍

Reactions: WannabeOwner
What happens if you want to charge "now" (or perhaps more likely: turn on Climate for 15 minutes before departure) - or a mate turns up and plugs in?

My assumption is that you need to override something?

There's an override button in the Ovo app for immediate charging.

The system works by crediting your bill with usage attributed to the registered car, at home. The credit appears in the first week of each calendar month (if I recall correctly).

So any other car pulling power from your home wouldn't be known to this setup, so would just add to your electricity bill like any other electrical device.

And if you charge your car away from home, that wouldn't be initiated by this setup, so would not be added to the amount taken off your bill.

In other words, you register your car with the app and grant it permission to control the start / stop of charging. It then decides when to start / stop, noting your settings to be ready by a certain time and what % to charge up to.

Hello I am new to all this EV lark and I am a Yorkshireman (Tight but not as tight as a Scot :) ) anyway I have a model 3 Performance (if that makes a difference) and I am with OVO and am wanting to use the OVO Charge anytime tariff, I have some questions is someone could help me please;

I am getting a charger installed but not sure which one to get ? the Tesla integrates with the app already so I wouldn't have to get one that does this would I ? like a Ohme Home Pro, my installer was quoting me for a Myenergi Zappy, if they are any good, as I say I am very new to this so if these questions are trivial I am sorry in advance

Thanks

Tony
Hi Tony,

I have the Tesla Gen 3 wall charger and am with OVO using charge anytime. The Telsla wall connector is very convenient. So pleased we went for that one after speaking to a mate with a model 3.

The one handed pluging in after you’ve got out of the car is a game changer. And vice versa. It’s a small thing but makes life much easier and convenient. You don’t have to bother with unlocking or locking the charge port in the car or app or starting the charge on a different app or on the charger itself. It’s just press the button on the lead, the charge port opens, plug it in one handed and walk away. Very nice.

I’d highly recommend going with a tethered home charger, whatever charger you chose for less faff vs getting a cable out of the car or shed, unlocking the charge port, connecting the cable to the charger end and then to the car end, then starting the charge (you’ll appreciate this a lot, especially when it’s raining).

The Tesla wall chargers are not smart. (yet! - maybe in the future with an OTA future update but don’t hold your breath!). But your car is smart and so is the app. Despite this non-smart charger, you will be setting the charging schedule in the car infrequently and more likely in the app 99% of the time anyway. So do you really need “smart-er” features on the charger? (Maybe you do if you have solar, or are thinking about adding it. However, if not and you like ease of use, you don’t really need a smart charger as you’ll use the Tesla app or OVO app.)

If you have Solar it can be a bit more complicated (see above) depending on what Solar system and battery combo you get and what you’re trying to achieve! So a smart charger could be more useful to you and possibly out weigh the improved convenience/usability factor of the Tesla Wall Connector.

That’s the car, now onto the OVO charge anytime tarif; it works well. But you will be giving the OVO app the control of when the charging happens. We usually charge overnight. We used to just plug the car in anytime and pay the standard fixed rate but now we just plug it in when home (as usual) and it does its own thing and is at 80% (or whatever you set) by the time you select it in the OVO app. So no real difference.

The option for weekday/ everyday pre-conditioning of the car (battery/ defrosting/ cabin temp) is independent of the charging as far as I am aware but haven’t tested it yet because now it’s spring!). Also you can just look out the window in the morning and hit defrost if it’s frosty out there.

If you need 100% for the next day (a rare occurrence but sometimes needed) you just adjust it in the OVO app the night before.

If someone else wants to plug into your Tesla wall connector they will just get a normal charging experience (which they can adjust in their car or app), at the current price per kW depending on the time. You can adjust the permissions as to who can use your Tesla Wall Connector in the app (Tesla’s only/ any EV/ certain Tesla’s only).

Hope that’s all useful to you.

Any other questions? Ask away.

Cheers !

Thanks

Tony
How are you getting on with the plug in mobile charger?

That is the same plug in/out experience as Pete UK describes above, just running at 2.3kw vs 7.2kw. Works fine with octopus as the App will calculate the time needed to reach the charge and you still get the rate rebate even if it takes 12 hours to charge, so speed has not been a factor.

Is the £1000+ cost for tripling you charge speed worth it if your car will still be charged overnight and will cost the same amount.

However, Tesla will not STOP the charge at the end of your Cheap Rate.

Actually it can. I think it’s a new feature that’s been added recently, as I haven’t noticed it before.

Go into the Tesla App and select;

> Schedule
> Departure
> Off Peak charge
- set end of off peak end time

You can set the start time by going;

>Schedule
>Charge
- set start time

👍🏻
C759BFAA-8CC3-41FC-BFE1-B9B9E75021FC.jpeg

Actually it can. I think it’s a new feature that’s been added recently, as I haven’t noticed it before.

Go into the Tesla App and select;

> Schedule
> Departure
> Off Peak charge
- set end of off peak end time

You can set the start time by going;

>Schedule
>Charge
- set start time

Used to be that was an either/or feature ... may have changed though (clearly would be better if APP allowed setting both)

Reactions: Adopado
Used to be that was an either/or feature ... may have changed though (clearly would be better if APP allowed setting both)

Yeah, you’re absolutely right. If you toggle one on the other one goes off. I guess in that case you just have to ‘manage’ it manually in the Tesla app using the helpful methods you mentioned above.

Our Model Y charges at 29mph on our 7kW charger which is 8.8% per hour (331 miles = 100%) But this percentage will be different for different cars/ wheels/ battery sizes/ efficiency and for when the charging slows down when close to full battery. I think it’s still at that charging speed up to 80% though.

But it’s kind or irrelevant to what @tonyscruton was asking, as when using the OVO anytime app all the charging is managed by that app instead of in the Tesla app and there is effectively no “off peak end time” for the car. I’ve had the data go missing twice in the anytime app but it seems to come back by itself after a while.

I assume Intelligent Octopus (and maybe GO/ GO faster?) works in a similar way to the OVO charge anytime app, albeit that the charging is ONLY done in the 6 hour window, instead of “anytime”. 6 hours would add about 53% (or 174 miles) to our car battery (for us). So as long as we arrive home with > 27% in the car we’d be good on IO; Which is 99.9% of the time fine. BUT as an upside you also get all your energy at the cheap rate for 6 hours as well as the car charging which will save cash if you can time-shift more use to that window and don’t use a lot in the “more expensive than normal (40p) ”peak period for the remaining 18 hours! Or have Solar/ solar batteries you can fill. It’s all a fine balancing act to get on a tariff that suits YOU and your usage best. And hope it doesn’t change too much.

24 days into using OVO “anytime” I’ve saved £37.50 so far. With only one 4.4kW extra “Urgent” charge one morning; which was because we thought we might need a 100% day but in the end we didn’t 😖

Over a year at current prices on OVO std rate (34p), I reckon we’ll save about £1080. That’s using 4,500kW doing 14,000 miles a year in a model Y.
So that’s about £37.50 a month or £450 a year total running costs. Will be the same car fuel costs on IO @10p/kW excluding the extra home electricity savings.

Reactions: kiranl
Yeah, you’re absolutely right. If you toggle one on the other one goes off. I guess in that case you just have to ‘manage’ it manually in the Tesla app using the helpful methods you mentioned above.

Our Model Y charges at 29mph on our 7kW charger which is 8.8% per hour (331 miles = 100%) But this percentage will be different for different cars/ wheels/ battery sizes/ efficiency and for when the charging slows down when close to full battery. I think it’s still at that charging speed up to 80% though.

But it’s kind or irrelevant to what @tonyscruton was asking, as when using the OVO anytime app all the charging is managed by that app instead of in the Tesla app and there is effectively no “off peak end time” for the car. I’ve had the data go missing twice in the anytime app but it seems to come back by itself after a while.

I assume Intelligent Octopus (and maybe GO/ GO faster?) works in a similar way to the OVO charge anytime app, albeit that the charging is ONLY done in the 6 hour window, instead of “anytime”. 6 hours would add about 53% (or 174 miles) to our car battery (for us). So as long as we arrive home with > 27% in the car we’d be good on IO; Which is 99.9% of the time fine. BUT as an upside you also get all your energy at the cheap rate for 6 hours as well as the car charging which will save cash if you can time-shift more use to that window and don’t use a lot in the “more expensive than normal (40p) ”peak period for the remaining 18 hours! Or have Solar/ solar batteries you can fill. It’s all a fine balancing act to get on a tariff that suits YOU and your usage best. And hope it doesn’t change too much.

24 days into using OVO “anytime” I’ve saved £37.50 so far. With only one 4.4kW extra “Urgent” charge one morning; which was because we thought we might need a 100% day but in the end we didn’t 😖

Over a year at current prices on OVO std rate (34p), I reckon we’ll save about £1080. That’s using 4,500kW doing 14,000 miles a year in a model Y.
So that’s about £37.50 a month or £450 a year total running costs. Will be the same car fuel costs on IO @10p/kW excluding the extra home electricity savings.
No.

IO customers get the 6 hour window (23:30 - 5:30) by default. Doesn't matter if you charge your car during that 6 hour window or not (or if you are at home) - whole household will get IO reduced rate for that particular time.

But what you can get, on top of those 6 hours, any other slots which would fall outside the 6 hours. Meaning that you might have your charge time allocate to let's say 20:00 - 22:00. What it means that during this time whole household (all washing, cooking whatever) will have off-peak rate from 20:00 to 22:00 as well as default time 23:00 - 5:30 (so in essence - 8 hrs).

your slots might be allocated to morning, mid day or whatever, especially depending on the car SOC and your departure time set in IO app.

So in your case, if you arrive with let's say 20% battery 2 am and set departure for 12:00 in the morning to charge to 100%, IO would most likely allocate your slot to 2:00 - 12:00 in order to accommodate desired charge level and departure time

Reactions: ringi

Sounds “Similar” to me. Maybe I oversimplified it. Thought I did mentioned the benefit of getting all your power at the cheaper price in the window though. But thanks for the added info that I didn’t mention. It definitely seems like a much better plan than OVO if you have solar and batteries (which I plan to get) and can avoid the 40p usage as much as possible.

I assume you’re on IO? Do you have solar/ batteries etc? How is it working out for you?

Are you saying that you could get allocated 0200-1200 if your car needed more charge?
A 10 hour slot? That’s pretty amazing!

Does IO allocate you an extra cheap time slot every day? And how far in advance do they advise you of the extra slot?

Cheers.

well, similar at some extent... "no" was regarding only 6 hours bit.

Sounds “Similar” to me. Maybe I oversimplified it. Thought I did mentioned the benefit of getting all your power at the cheaper price in the window though. But thanks for the added info that I didn’t mention. It definitely seems like a much better plan than OVO if you have solar and batteries (which I plan to get) and can avoid the 40p usage as much as possible.
I am not sure regarding "much"... but that's the reason why I am getting solar as well :)

I assume you’re on IO? Do you have solar/ batteries etc? How is it working out for you?
I am on IO. I expect solar to be installed within two months.. Not sure yet - I might end up fixing charging window to 6 hrs where batteries will be on the charge mode...
Are you saying that you could get allocated 0200-1200 if your car needed more charge?
Yes. for example, last saturday we came back home around 2:30 am (time change...) and I had 33% charge. I set up to charge to 80% and car reached the desired charge rate 9:20. All this time (up to 10 am when I set departure time) whole house had off-peak rate. So my off-peak rate started 23:30 (as default) and ended 10:00 am. 10 hr 30 min slot ;)
A 10 hour slot? That’s pretty amazing!
Yes. But it depends on your SOC, desired charge level and departure time. But I think the only times when I did not have full desired charge was when I returned home let's say 23:00 and departure time was 6:00 and I had 30% and needed 95% (road trip) - so car just finished charging as much as it could before departure.
Does IO allocate you an extra cheap time slot every day? And how far in advance do they advise you of the extra slot?
They allocate slot once you plug in your car after 5 pm. in about 10-15 minutes (car is actually charging that time at peak rate...) you get your slot allocated. You slots might be just within standard window, or if very windy or something it car be earlier... a bit of a lottery, but all in all, 6 hrs every night...
youre-welcome.gif

Is there ever a practical need to use the override feature? Could you not just reduce the time for it to be ready via smart charge so that it would have to effectively charge immediately?
I doubt it - I guess it's one way of coaxing full charge costs from some.
Though if you're under 20% it'll charge at full price (I think) until it gets to 20% then at the reduced rate - or maybe I read it wrong....

Reactions: wanderingstep
Is there ever a practical need to use the override feature? Could you not just reduce the time for it to be ready via smart charge so that it would have to effectively charge immediately?
I've never bump charged yet, I simply adjust the battery level and timings accordingly.
What I have noticed is an error stating that my charge level at the car was below that requested on the IO app.
It wasn't.