Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ovo UK - New EV Charge tariff

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot_20230123_174050_Charge Anytime.jpg

So looks like it's almost 8hrs at the cheaper rate given this is what they've offered as a time scale for tonight.
Originally it was showing 00.30 as a start time it now looks like from 22.30 the cheaper tariff will run from 🤔

Hopefully I'll have some more info/update on it tomorrow/Weds.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has gone down this route and is getting the same or can share their experience 👍

So essentially it's like Intelligent Octopus except you don't enjoy the cheap rate for the rest of the house...
Yes, though the day rate or 'standard rate' is cheaper
I reckon will work for some, not all.
For e.g. washing machine only goes on twice a week here (only 2 of us), don't use dryers or even the dishwasher anymore. Everything else is essentials like tv/ kettle/fridge etc which we can't load shift so this works out better for us.

Reactions: ringi
For those using OVO for energy they've released a new EV 'add on' tariff (more of a use then credit product)

Info 👉 Introducing Anytime | OVO Energy

Works out @ 10pkWh for charging of the car (car charging only) and usual standard rate 34pkWh all other times
Pretty much all my charging is at home so should cut my costs by 70% 👌

I don't think they're letting everyone on it straight away, I was lucky and was accepted. I've no idea what the criteria is to get straight on it - maybe someone else can enlighten?
I thought OVO went under?? Octopus energy has a smart tariff for EVs too, I pay 7.5p. no idea what magic they do it do it but they can remotely ask the car to charge at any time when electricity is plentiful and it only costs me that amount plus a set off peak time during the night. It's pretty amazing

I thought OVO went under?? Octopus energy has a smart tariff for EVs too, I pay 7.5p. no idea what magic they do it do it but they can remotely ask the car to charge at any time when electricity is plentiful and it only costs me that amount plus a set off peak time during the night. It's pretty amazing
Ovo haven't gone under and they operate this system in a similar way (albeit via a credit for what's used for the car only) and the regular rate is cheaper than Octopus. Which suits you really depends on how many machines you really need to run/how busy your house is I guess....

Is my understanding correct that the discount is based on the telemetry from the charger and not the car or smart meter.

So what’s stopping someone from taking their commando based Ohme charger from being plugged in on someone else’s supply who might not even be supplied by Ovo and using the smart charging so they would still get the discount?

For example you regularly visit a family member and you plug into a commando there as well. They are going to get billed but your charger is going to report a charge to Ovo and you are going to get paid.

They may have thought of this already and may cross check and charging with smart meter reads but it seems like a bit of a ‘hole’ in doing it this way compared to the octopus version.

Is my understanding correct that the discount is based on the telemetry from the charger and not the car or smart meter.

So what’s stopping someone from taking their commando based Ohme charger from being plugged in on someone else’s supply who might not even be supplied by Ovo and using the smart charging so they would still get the discount?

For example you regularly visit a family member and you plug into a commando there as well. They are going to get billed but your charger is going to report a charge to Ovo and you are going to get paid.

They may have thought of this already and may cross check and charging with smart meter reads but it seems like a bit of a ‘hole’ in doing it this way compared to the octopus version.
I think I have this right, no it isn't; the discount (credit) will only apply to the charge of vehicle you registered in the app in the setting up process. So if another car rocks up and charges it won't qualify for the credit....

You have to log in to your Tesla account when setting up the app and give the app the ability to see/record your charge status so it can work out how much charge was given 'at the smart time' - then it'll apply the credit according to the amount of charge that was given

It'll only give credit to the Ovo account against a charge to the registered vehicle

I hope that makes sense and my wonky ability to describe things hasn't confused things!

Having registered interest, I've since received an email telling me to download an app and get started... I kinda thought there would be more to it than that, especially given our charger isn't on the list of those supported.

I'll take a look later, but curious if anyone else is a step or two ahead and found computer says no?

• Informative
Reactions: CWT3LR
Having registered interest, I've since received an email telling me to download an app and get started... I kinda thought there would be more to it than that, especially given our charger isn't on the list of those supported.

I'll take a look later, but curious if anyone else is a step or two ahead and found computer says no?
Were you already with Ovo? I have registeredinterest but currently with Shell.

Were you already with Ovo? I have registeredinterest but currently with Shell.
Apologies for jumping in, I am with Ovo already and I had noticed this morning that they're advertising 'switch to us' on their homepage now - so looks like they're opening up a bit to new customers etc.

The Charge Anytime tariff though I applied on the app and was rejected, then I applied on the web and got accepted! Weird....!

• Helpful
Reactions: CWT3LR
Apologies for jumping in, I am with Ovo already and I had noticed this morning that they're advertising 'switch to us' on their homepage now - so looks like they're opening up a bit to new customers etc.

The Charge Anytime tariff though I applied on the app and was rejected, then I applied on the web and got accepted! Weird....!
Thanks Andy - most helpful. Chris

Reactions: AndyWarrington
Our Tesla Gen 2 Wall Connector recently packed up (not for the first time - these things are pieces of *sugar*) so I am in the market for a new charger.

I was thinking of going for the cheapest available option but, being on Ovo and trapped on an expensive (standard) rate I could recoup the cost of a more expensive Ohme charger (looks to be around £550) in just a few months thanks to the cheaper rate. Although looking my Ovo account online, it just says that Drive Anytime is "coming February 2023" for me, so I can't add it just yet.

Thanks for highlighting OP.

Our Tesla Gen 2 Wall Connector recently packed up (not for the first time - these things are pieces of *sugar*) so I am in the market for a new charger.

I was thinking of going for the cheapest available option but, being on Ovo and trapped on an expensive (standard) rate I could recoup the cost of a more expensive Ohme charger (looks to be around £550) in just a few months thanks to the cheaper rate. Although looking my Ovo account online, it just says that Drive Anytime is "coming February 2023" for me, so I can't add it just yet.

Thanks for highlighting OP.
No probs 👍
I'm not sure the Telsa charger counts as a 'smart charger', worth checking, I think this is really the only stipulation of a charger to suit the tariff
I use the Hypervolt charger - I think most charger options by the time you add the installation on come to ~£1k ish now
From my experience I can recommend the tech support from Hypervolt too 👍

I’m currently using a Tesla Gen 3 charger. The charge anytime connects to the tesla app for charging info. So the charger is not too important.

I signed upto Charge Antime a few weeks back when the offer was live. Luckily my transfer went live a few days ago so I quickly signed upto Charge Anytime.