Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owner Frustrated with Tesla Depreciation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
True. What you can buy in a new car always influences price of a 2~3 year old used one. On the other hand after four or five years price of the car will be compared to all similar used cars on the market. People don't usually cross shop a 6 years old car and a brand new one. A 2018 Model S that is more desirable than a 2018 S Class or 7 Series in 2018 will still be more desirable than those cars in 2024 (but likely even more so due to OTA updates) and commanding better price regardless of what a new Tesla is like.

Yes, but a 6 year old car will be compared to a 5 year old car, which will be compared to a 4 year old car and so on until you get to a new car. Eventually, of course, the effect of any price change is lost in the noise.

My 16' P100D was about $164k brand new (give or take a grand) and with it having almost 45k miles it's worth about only $89-95k (I think). I may sound crazy for saying this but I don't really care about depreciation as much as I should (Or as much as other's). Although I always lose my $$$ on car's because I buy them brand new and suck up the depreciation and move on.

So I purchased my first Tesla just over 2 years ago. I ended buying the Tesla Model S P90DL. At first I absolutely loved the car and today I still love it but it has depreciated 50% of the original value in just over 2 years! I don’t care how much I love any car, this is completely unacceptable and I will never buy another one again! Most cars especially luxury cars lose 55% over 5 years! The 2016 P90DL that cost $145K are selling in the $60k’s and $70k’s range! And most if not all the blame falls on Tesla themselves because it’s their used vehicles that are determining the value since they are basically giving them away! On top of that they have lowered the price on the P100DL etc, which is completely the wrong thing to do when manufacturing cars. Every other luxury car slightly increases the price year after year. The people working at Tesla are either some of the dumbest individuals or they are the dumbest individuals and are ruining Every aspects of ownership of having a Tesla. I remember reading Elon Musk promise that Tesla’s would keep their value better than or equal any other manufacturer when it came to Tesla’s retaining their value. He even went as far as saying that he would guarantee that they would hold their value or they would buy the car back at top price in order to convince owners to purchase their cars and not to worry of the car depreciating like other luxury cars. Well they aren’t, they are the most depreciating in history and they need to fix this before everyone like myself decides never to buy another Tesla again! At this point the only way to not lose a fortune would be too lease the car otherwise you can expect to lose everything you put down and much more when you decide to sale. I have never seen any car go from $145K to $70k in the matter of 2-2 1/2 years. As much as I love the car they will never get my business again and this doesn’t include tons of other shady lies and restrictions they have been caught doing in order to keep them from having their batteries. At this point I have lost all faith, trust, and desire to ever be part of the Tesla family again. If your contemplating purchasing a Tesla DON’T! The resale value is nothing less than pathetic and clearly Tesla does not care, on the contrary it seems like they are trying to accomplish this and succeeding. I can’t wait to get rid of this money pit and never buy another Tesla again. With so many other ev vehicles poised to be released, it’s only a matter of time that they lose every customer since they have no clue how to keep their vehicles maintaining the value they should. Which should not be that hard considering the warranties they offer as well of the fact that they are supposed to be able to get 500k miles yet they lose 50% of their value in a measly 2 years! Farewell Tesla your time is UP!!!

So I purchased my first Tesla just over 2 years ago. I ended buying the Tesla Model S P90DL. At first I absolutely loved the car and today I still love it but it has depreciated 50% of the original value in just over 2 years! I don’t care how much I love any car, this is completely unacceptable and I will never buy another one again! Most cars especially luxury cars lose 55% over 5 years! The 2016 P90DL that cost $145K are selling in the $60k’s and $70k’s range! And most if not all the blame falls on Tesla themselves because it’s their used vehicles that are determining the value since they are basically giving them away! On top of that they have lowered the price on the P100DL etc, which is completely the wrong thing to do when manufacturing cars. Every other luxury car slightly increases the price year after year. The people working at Tesla are either some of the dumbest individuals or they are the dumbest individuals and are ruining Every aspects of ownership of having a Tesla. I remember reading Elon Musk promise that Tesla’s would keep their value better than or equal any other manufacturer when it came to Tesla’s retaining their value. He even went as far as saying that he would guarantee that they would hold their value or they would buy the car back at top price in order to convince owners to purchase their cars and not to worry of the car depreciating like other luxury cars. Well they aren’t, they are the most depreciating in history and they need to fix this before everyone like myself decides never to buy another Tesla again! At this point the only way to not lose a fortune would be too lease the car otherwise you can expect to lose everything you put down and much more when you decide to sale. I have never seen any car go from $145K to $70k in the matter of 2-2 1/2 years. As much as I love the car they will never get my business again and this doesn’t include tons of other shady lies and restrictions they have been caught doing in order to keep them from having their batteries. At this point I have lost all faith, trust, and desire to ever be part of the Tesla family again. If your contemplating purchasing a Tesla DON’T! The resale value is nothing less than pathetic and clearly Tesla does not care, on the contrary it seems like they are trying to accomplish this and succeeding. I can’t wait to get rid of this money pit and never buy another Tesla again. With so many other ev vehicles poised to be released, it’s only a matter of time that they lose every customer since they have no clue how to keep their vehicles maintaining the value they should. Which should not be that hard considering the warranties they offer as well of the fact that they are supposed to be able to get 500k miles yet they lose 50% of their value in a measly 2 years! Farewell Tesla your time is UP!!!
We agree. Ours depreciated tremendously also when we tried to 'upgrade' with Tesla only to a Model X

Reactions: Tribaltech

I agree with and feel the same frustration. My Model S value has tanked in two years and even though I’ve tried trading up to a model X Tesla’s dumb sales reps have given me a trade in value almost $8000 lower than what KBB and other websites recommend. They’ve had a strong hand in devaluing their own fleet that is out there. And as much as I love my Tesla I am struggling to justify ever buying a new one again. Plus given the numerous problems my S has had I shudder to think what things would look like once the warranty expires.

There are a lot of ardent blind Tesla fans on this forum who will trash you for raising your voice against Tesla. It’s the wrong audience unfortunately that does not look at things objectively especially when it comes to criticism for Tesla.

I hate how much my car value has tanked and I’m now stuck with it and cannot trade up or trade down for another car and have to keep making payments for this until it gets totally paid off. The good thing is I love driving the car so that’s a saving grace.

Early adopters always pay more. First TVs, first microwaves, first cell phones, first computers. A Tesla is more of a computer with wheels than a car. You got one before many other people, that's your "equity." Lesson learned: Wait a bit and research what will be popular when you are ready to sell, if you buy to keep depreciation down. I don't plan on EVER selling my Tesla so I don't care if it depreciates.

If you love the car so much, why do you care what the car would sell for now? Just continue to enjoy it. If you like the house you're living in but it dropped in value, would you be angry at the builder or would you just continue to enjoy living in the house?

Would you rather Tesla stopped innovating and improving the product so your purchase would maintain it's value longer? That's not going to happen.
That’s an odd response. Just because one loves something doesn’t mean that they want it’s value to tank. Just because I love living in my house doesn’t mean I shouldn’t care for what’s happening to its value. If the value of my beloved house starts to tank it’ll worry me endlessly and make me question my decision and make me strongly consider the factors that led to that situation with my house and never go for something like that ever again. See how that works?

The devaluing of a Tesla feels particularly offensive when Elon made tall claims about how these would hold their values very well.

I’m a Tesla fan too but I keep an open and objective mind about my car and this company. And a lot of things I’ve discovered about Tesla while owning one, have been much less than optimal.

Reactions: MelvinLee
So I purchased my first Tesla just over 2 years ago. I ended buying the Tesla Model S P90DL. At first I absolutely loved the car and today I still love it but it has depreciated 50% of the original value in just over 2 years! I don’t care how much I love any car, this is completely unacceptable and I will never buy another one again! !

MelvinLee:

I feel your pain -- same here.

I took delivery of my new Model S P90D in September of 2015 with a sticker price of $120,500. I am a long time buyer of Mercedes S class sedans paying cash, but I leased my MS because I had no idea what the car would be worth in 3 years due to the rapidly evolving technology, and I wanted the safety of a guaranteed $70,000 dollar residual amount where I could either buy the car or walk away.

I had a terrible ownership experience. Main battery defective twice. Door handles failed. Wiring harness failed. Sensors failed. Replacement parts often took weeks to arrive and in the case of the wiring harness that arrived, it was the right part number but a redesigned harness that didn't fit. That took them weeks to figure out The entire drivers seat needed to be replaced due to failed heating element. This was diagnosed in early January this year and couldn't be fixed as they had no parts availability and had stopped making gray interiors the prior year. I hope that whoever buys that car doesn't need a heated drivers seat, assuming that Tesla discloses the problem to the buyer.

As I approached my 45,000 mile lease maximum in April, and the warranty ending at 50,000 miles, I decided to dump it, wrote a check for $9,000 covering the remaining lease payments, handed over the keys and got an Uber ride home. I looked into buying and flipping it, but equivalent cars were selling for $50 - $55,000 at the time.

As you may suspect, I went out and again bought a Mercedes for cash. They know how to run a car company whereas Tesla doesn't.

It might be useful to introduce some facts into this rather polarized discussion:
Tesla_depreciation-696x333.jpg

Teslas hold their value better than comparable ICE cars.
This is from a study of used car prices from Autolist.com covering Jan 1, 2012 through Nov 5, 2018
The Model X SUV performed even better. It was up against the Audi Q7, Mercedes GLS, Infiniti QX80, Cadillac Escalade, Lincoln Navigator, BMW X5, and Range Rover. With 50,000 miles on the odometer, a Model X is worth just 23% less than it cost new. The Navigator was second best at 34%, while the X5 was worst at 37%.

The Autolist study was based on copious amounts of data. More than 1.2 million listings for large luxury sedans were included. 35,442 of those were for Model S sedans. On the SUV side, nearly 1.7 listings in the large luxury segment were included, of which 4,242 were Model X vehicles.

You can’t know the true cost of ownership of any vehicle until you consider all the factors that go into the ownership experience, including original cost, insurance, maintenance, fuel, and depreciation. What the Autolist study shows is that Teslas have some of the lowest total cost of ownership numbers in the industry — welcome news when it comes time to trade or sell.

The real lesson here is; only buy used Tesla’s.

I disagree. I was looking at CPO cars for months. I also looked at used from individuals. At the price point of used late 2016 or early 2017, the cars I saw had too many paint chips/issues, or hadn’t been properly cared for by the previous owner.

To me, it was worth it to spend the extra $25K-$30K to get a brand new beauty that no one else has driven. Got my 2018 MS 100D last month. I’m going to put 20K miles plus per year on it. I don’t care what it’s value is tomorrow, next month or next year.

I love the car, and will drive it until I sell it for scrap and then buy another one.

And this is from someone who got out of a depreciating Audi A8L and Nissan GT-R. Talk about sucking money. Not only did they depreciate like crazy, the maintenance costs were astronomical. $3500 for a brake job on the Audi!

In factoring your expense on your car, don’t forget to subtract all that money you would have spent on gas, oil changes, brake pads, etc.....

I wish I would have leased

There is the one good thing you said. For people who want the latest and greatest all the time, a lease is the best solution.

And something is 'worth' a certain value only if you wish to sell it. My Model S is two years old and of course has lessened in value if I were to sell it. But I plan on keeping it and enjoy driving it too much to sell it. So even if it were worth nothing I would not care because I do not plan on disposing the asset.

Reactions: Ugliest1
Status
Not open for further replies.