Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm jealous!!!

Aaron

Okay, Aaron. Now prepare to be really jealous. I'm about to get a rate from the Sacramento Municipal Utilities District of $0.06 per kWh for off peak charging, putting my fill up from nearly empty at about $5. The only catch is that I have to avoid the on peak periods and especially the super critical peak periods on a few very hot days in the summer. If I charge for even a minute with the HPWC during those latter periods, I will pay a demand charge of $70 for each charging event! Needless to say, I will be depending on the car to allow me to time my charging in the right times.

In reference to the jump seats, I found that the latch that folds the headrests is extremely tight. You have to yank on the latch hard to get it to fold. The rest of the process works with very little effort. So if you are stuck on the same step, try pulling harder on the metal handle to release the headrests so they can fold over for you to store the seats.

Shane on his first day at home.

My detailing, and photo skills are sub par but here are a few pics of Shane at his new home after a bath.

Shane.JPG

Shane LP.JPG

Shane Wide.JPG

Okay, Aaron. Now prepare to be really jealous. I'm about to get a rate from the Sacramento Municipal Utilities District of $0.06 per kWh for off peak charging, putting my fill up from nearly empty at about $5. The only catch is that I have to avoid the on peak periods and especially the super critical peak periods on a few very hot days in the summer. If I charge for even a minute with the HPWC during those latter periods, I will pay a demand charge of $70 for each charging event! Needless to say, I will be depending on the car to allow me to time my charging in the right times.

weccman

Thats pretty amazing! But....

Today I'm getting a solar evaluation. Roof points southeast (more like east southeast) and didn't think it would be a good candidate for solar, but a friend who does installations said otherwise. Roof has a low angle pitch - I guess thats why.

He was giving me some pricing on a 5k system. If I'm able to get enough solar hours per day, I may be able to offset the Model S electric needs! I have an Efergy energy monitor on my Nema 14-50 circuit and over the past 30 days, the car has used an average of 28 kWh of electricity per day. That will actually go down a bit since I've been doing a lot more driving than I usually do since getting the car 6 weeks ago!

It would please me to no end to even just offset the electricity for my driving needs.... Then I can say that I'm driving on sunlight!

Aaron

I picked up my Model S on Sunday. Here are my initial comments after driving it this week. A lot of these comments are similar to what I've heard from others on these threads.

Pictures

Pick-Up

• Spent less than an hour with the sales rep going over the basics of the car
  • Tesla employees must really like their jobs because they are all very nice and very accommodating
  • Due bill was only for Parcel Shelf. Was already pre-paid for. Guess they aren't making them yet.
  • No 85 emblem. Sales guy didn't know very much about it (not as much as on this forum). Will get it installed when it comes out
  • Tire pressure warning did not go away. Had to bring back to service center next day when they were open to fix it
  • Sirius/XM did not work until I called and paid for it. No 30-day trial like with other cars

Positives / General Comments

• The car accelerates effortlessly
  • The car ride is extremely smooth and very comfortable
  • Feels like a sports car but you don't feel every bump in the road either
  • Sport steering is perfect for my wife and I. Feels great.
  • The car is very big -- bigger than you first realize
  • Back seat legroom was large enough for everyone I know to sit back there. (6'4" and smaller)
  • When parking and exiting the car, I find my right hand struggling to find something to do (turn off the car with key or button, etc.).
    • I am still adjusting to doing nothing with my right hand after hitting the park button
  • Tesla grin every time I get into the car. I can confirm this phenomenon
  • Acceleration (even without performance option) is incredible
  • Floored gas pedal more than enough times in the first few days
  • Transitioned to maximizing charge and more conservative driving style after a few days
    • Mainly because I don't have my new solar panels (to cover the charge) yet. Once I get those up, I assume I will change my driving style again
  • Even forcing myself to drive more conservatively, I still find a few instances where I want to blow by someone who's going to slow. The car begs to be used this way
  • While 0-60 acceleration is great, what impresses me most is its passing ability. I've never been in a car that responds that quickly to a quick gas-pedal press/change. You can pass cars unbelievably quick.
    • My friend who owns a BMW 335 (similar 0-60 times I believe) also commented about the quick response time. Much faster than his car
    • My only concern with passing people that quickly is that it doesn't give other cars the chance to see that I'm passing them. I could see them moving into me because they never had a chance to see me passing them. I have tried to be more careful about doing this
  • On the freeway, I cannot tell the difference between going 55, 65 or 75 MPH. Except for some additional wind noise.
    • In other sports cars, they beg you to go faster and going 55 or 65 seems like you're going unbelievably slow
    • Strangely enough (at least to me), going 65 seems just as satisfying as going 75. The car does not beg me to go faster.
    • But as stated earlier, the car does beg to suddenly accelerate. It doesn't seem to push me to be driving faster. It just wants me to accelerate. I find myself wanting to slow down to 55 MPH just so I can hammer it back to 75.
  • Haven't noticed a ton of people staring at the car or pointing or taking pictures while driving from other drivers
  • I have noticed the most reaction from people not in a car -- walking around, etc.
  • Everyone wants a test-drive. Going to take a while to go through all my neighbors and friends..
  • Been charging at work on Blink chargers. They are only 30A so it takes quite a while. Can't wait for my panels so I can charge more at home at 40A.
  • Have not tried the Tesla Super Chargers yet. Need to drive to LA or Barstow to try it out (about 2 hours from me)
  • This is my first American car. I hope it is not my last!
  • Applied for CA EV rebate. Seems like there is enough money still for this
  • Debating what to do about the CA carpool-lane access stickers
    • Why would anyone put a sticker on this car?
    • Wondering if I can make this into a magnet to put on my bumper and take it on/off as needed (and to prevent theft)
  • The car is begging for a Vegas trip. Vegas anyone?

Some issues/concerns/Other Comments

• The car is a dust magnet. No doubt about it. I need to figure out the right way to wash this thing. I have never had a high-end car and never really paid attention to "pampering" my car in terms of keeping it clean.
    • Still reviewing forum posts to see what makes sense
  • A little bit of pressure/ringing in ears when driving. Maybe because it's so silent without engine noise that we notice it?
  • Back seat headroom and headrests seem to only be good for people 5'7" and smaller
    • No rear adjustable headrest.
  • Sleep mode seems to take about 3 miles/night off my range overnight. (over the course of 7 hours)
  • Car comes standard with two front floormats only
    • They are as crappy as people said on the forums
    • The passenger side one was already folding over on the top
    • The Lloyds mats are much better and I have them for the entire car and trunks (still getting used to saying trunks, plural!)
    • I haven't installed the drivers side Lloyds mat yet because I have to bolt it in. (need to read how to do that on the Forums next -- just haven't gotten to it yet)
    • The other mats don't need bolting. The passenger one was designed to be bolted but in reality it doesn't move. The drivers side should probably be bolted so it doesn't interfere with the pedals. (worried about the Lexus floormat issue)
  • The biggest complaint for us might seem silly to others. And can be addressed by a SW update. The radio quick change (FF/BACK) buttons on the left side of the steering wheel do not go to your next favorite radio station or XM station. They go to the next sequential XM station -- or it seeks to the next available radio station.
    • What the heck is that about? How can the driver take their eyes off the road to hit a button on the screen to get to their next favorite station?
    • All other cars I've been in have the button to change to their next favorite station
  • In general, I find that Tesla hasn't optimized the driving experience for safety and minimizing driver distractions
    • Too many things require the driver to look at the main screen and dash screen to do something
    • Instead of having quick buttons on the car
    • I am worried long-term about being distracted trying to fiddle with pressing buttons on the main screen to do something as simple as opening the sunroof.
    • I am hopeful this will be addressed over time with SW updates.
    • For example, why would you have a Web browser on that screen when the only way you can really use it is if you are parked -- or your passenger fiddles with it. (that doesn't mean I want it taken away -- but how can a driver realistically use that?)
  • No "Oh s**t" handles. Could really use these. Especially with the car begging you to accelerate like madman!
  • No rear cup holders or center arm rest
  • No Apple iPhone USB ability. (just charging)
  • No concept of playlists
  • Google map doesn't aim always-up. (going southbound on the freeway has the arrow pointing downwards)
  • Sun visors are ridiculously small

To sum it up, I love this car and have no regrets. Thanks Tesla!

Last edited:
Is that your house? Niice.....

Guilty.

that's what I'm sayin!!!!

daaaaaamn Big Al! You big pimpin there in Indiana!

hey everybody, PARTY AT AL'S HOWSE!!!!!!!!

(some solar panels on that roof would look phat)

We lived in the original cabin (on the left as you look at the photo) for many years. Then one day I came home from a slightly annoying trip with blizzards everywhere and I was whining like a spoiled brat that I had to walk through the snow to get in the house. So we decided to build a breezeway. Obviously we got a little carried away.

The solar panels are coming. We're still researching and analyzing proposals and quotes.

As for the party; I double dog dare ya! We've got a full half barrel of Bass Ale, and a wine cellar full of stuff I guarantee will please any discriminating wine drinker. BRING IT!

• In general, I find that Tesla hasn't optimized the driving experience for safety and minimizing driver distractions
    • Too many things require the driver to look at the main screen and dash screen to do something
    • Instead of having quick buttons on the car

cheers3893, I hear what you're saying and this may not totally fix it but here is what I did to help - I set up the right steering wheel button to scroll thru the items I can change using that button (i.e. climate temp., fan speed, sunroof, display brightness, etc.). I still have to look at a screen, but at least it is in the dash and not as distracting to look at/use since I don't have to reach over and focus on what I am tapping on the 17-inch display. Not ideal, but like I said it has made it easier while I am driving.

LOL. That's what it's like when you live in Mayberry.:smile: Took all of 15 minutes.

??

I thought they had to initiate the registration of the vehicle in CA, then transfer the title to IN for the BMV to render an IN title. No?

The last couple of cars I've bought have been out of state, and that's been the process I've had to follow. My last car a couple of years ago was a fiasco, and it took two months to get my registration from NY state. I ended up having to get two 30 day temp tags from the BMV. Not a happy experience!

I'm curious, did you pay a couple of weeks ago to get the title work going ahead?

??

I thought they had to initiate the registration of the vehicle in CA, then transfer the title to IN for the BMV to render an IN title. No?

The last couple of cars I've bought have been out of state, and that's been the process I've had to follow. My last car a couple of years ago was a fiasco, and it took two months to get my registration from NY state. I ended up having to get two 30 day temp tags from the BMV. Not a happy experience!

I'm curious, did you pay a couple of weeks ago to get the title work going ahead?

I did nothing. Really. When I picked up the car at Columbus it had nothing. The SC manager called Fremont and they emailed a single piece of paper. He folded it and taped it inside the trunk window. All the lady took from me was my Indiana Drivers License, my insurance card, and a single piece of paper from the SC that was an invoice (Bill of Sale) for the car marked paid. She walked out to the car and checked the VIN and then came back and gave me my temp registration, transferred the vanity plate in the computer ( I reserved it months ago) from my truck to the MS, re registered the truck, and gave me the title application receipt. I'm guessing I'll get the actual title in a couple of weeks. It took all of 15 minutes. Really. About two days later I got a Fedex package from Tesla with "items I would need to register and title the vehicle in my state." I just put them in the filing cabinet since it's already registered and titled.
It was seamless. Except when she came in from checking the Vin and said the car was "some kind of Jaguar.":smile: