Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMHO the videos (especially Tesla's videos, which seem to be designed for people with short attention spans) aren't a substitute for being able to talk to a live human and ask questions. I sometimes wonder if there's a market for an post-sale, aftermarket Tesla vehicle trainer to fill in all the gaps that Tesla leaves (and I'm talking about gaps in training, not panel gaps).

Bruce.
I’m sure there is a demand. I have a friend that never drives his Model 3 because it’s easier for him to use his ICE vehicles.

I’m sure there is a demand. I have a friend that never drives his Model 3 because it’s easier for him to use his ICE vehicles.
That's remarkable. When I show my Model S at EV events, I show people how to adjust the seats and mirrors, climb in next to them, and tell them to touch the brake and the shifter and we are off. That is literally all there is to it. After that, as I tell them, it is "just like any other car." Turn signals, brakes, wipers -- everything is exactly where you expect. The temperature control is readily seen and adjusted if needed (but not on a short demo drive). I do acknowledge that the media center takes a bit of learning. So, I can't imagine what is so complicated about your friend's Model 3.....
My big fear about the new Model S with its yoke steering and lack of stalks is that it will no longer be "just like any other car."

That's remarkable. When I show my Model S at EV events, I show people how to adjust the seats and mirrors, climb in next to them, and tell them to touch the brake and the shifter and we are off. That is literally all there is to it. After that, as I tell them, it is "just like any other car." Turn signals, brakes, wipers -- everything is exactly where you expect. The temperature control is readily seen and adjusted if needed (but not on a short demo drive). I do acknowledge that the media center takes a bit of learning. So, I can't imagine what is so complicated about your friend's Model 3.....
My big fear about the new Model S with its yoke steering and lack of stalks is that it will no longer be "just like any other car."
I think it’s because he bought it just to have a Tesla in the garage. His WiFi doesn’t reach the garage, so he doesn’t get updates. He has taken in for service. The 12v battery went dead. It has less than 500 miles and is over two years old. I’m not sure that he’s very good with technology, but he wanted a Tesla with FSD.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I think it’s because he bought it just to have a Tesla in the garage. His WiFi doesn’t reach the garage, so he doesn’t get updates. He has taken in for service. The 12v battery went dead. It has less than 500 miles and is over two years old. I’m not sure that he’s very good with technology, but he wanted a Tesla with FSD.
Most updates do not require WiFi, in my experience over 6 years. My car is parked in my condo parking lot, far from my WiFi. I get most updates over the air. When the updates do need WiFi (I guess if they are large), there is a message on the screen asking that I connect to WiFi. I have had good luck using my phone as a hot spot. I leave it in the car, connected to the 12 V outlet, and the download proceeds. (Navigation map updates can take a very long time, however!)
I have read that the 12V battery only charges when you use the car. If that is true, and he drives his car so little, that could account for the premature failure. Mine lasted over 5 years.
Different experience, for sure...not that I claim my car is perfect, but i would not say it is too complicated.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around that, particularly the first sentence. I assume that most people would buy a Tesla because they wanted to drive it.

Bruce.

On the rare occasions I used range mode, it gave me one or two extra miles on a total of about 260. Not really worth it to sit there and sweat or shiver, so I haven't used it in several years.
In case anybody is interested, Range Mode on the Roadster is actually useful. It allows about 25 miles worth of additional charge to be put into the battery, and it also makes about 25 miles worth of (otherwise hidden) reserve available at the "empty" end. So if you charge in Range Mode, you get about 50 miles extra, but if you charge normally and then switch to Range Mode during your trip, you only get the extra 25 at the end.

On the Model S this is all superfluous, since it allows you to set your target state-of-charge as a percentage, and it simply trusts you not to run down to 0% if you don't really need to.

As for driving, Range Mode in the Roadster also limits acceleration, but in my experience that doesn't really save a lot of power. If I'm concerned about range, I'm not going to be flooring it anyhow.

IMG_0124.jpeg

Man, you won't be going over any speed bumps in that thing! How the heck do you drive it on any actual roads, with anything other than an utterly flat surface? Sorry, but I do not see the point ....but i do see the potential for pain. Some guy had a sporty BMW set up like that near me, with added plastic "effects" on the car. but not for long! maybe the roads are flatter out there....

• Funny
Reactions: impastu
Man, you won't be going over any speed bumps in that thing! How the heck do you drive it on any actual roads, with anything other than an utterly flat surface? Sorry, but I do not see the point ....but i do see the potential for pain. Some guy had a sporty BMW set up like that near me, with added plastic "effects" on the car. but not for long! maybe the roads are flatter out there....
Hi David, it comes with an adjustable height air suspension. It goes up 4” from that lowest position. I would drive it on factory height setting.

Yes, I also recently received notice for early delivery and associated Vin. I also have the same quality concerns voiced here. I was originally told February 2022 delivery with 2022 registration and also wonder about the impact on resale vs 2021 reg. Thinking I should check out the car for build quality issues before making my final decision on accepting delivery.