Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any suggestions about my new arrival are appreciated . . . Picked up the MS LR Thursday morning (12/23 @10AM) with a full charge showing 394 miles, and drove the short distance home, putting it in 70 degree garage, now with 388 miles left. Due to continuing rain, the car has been just sitting in the garage, yet this morning the battery is down to 366 miles, a loss of 22 miles in 48 hours with EVERYTHING turned OFF.

My big concern, there's a continuous sound of a pump/motor? running behind the passenger firewall ever since I parked it 2 days again. I periodically go to the garage, and it's always running. I've verified the comfort control system is off, and I set the Power to OFF., but the motor continues to run. I suspect that this continually running motor is contributing to the battery drain. However, not sure if the pump runs from the drive batteries or the 12 Volt accessory battery?

I've made dozens of searches and in almost all cases the answer seems to be 'these cars are always running' and dismiss the issue. However, I took a dB reading in the corner of the garage where it's very quiet and got a reading of 33dB. Standing next to the right front fender the reading is 40-43 dB as the motor pitch varies slightly. Sitting quietly in the car and the sound is very annoying, a constant, monotonous droning of the small motor.

It appears I'll unfortunately need to contact Tesla Service, but would like to know if anyone has knowledge of this issue so I'm better prepared to work with them. Thanks -

Attachments

• Tesla Model S.jpg
    Tesla Model S.jpg
    517.3 KB · Views: 624
  • Careful delivery inspection 12/4 - complete
  • Careful 300 mile drive home to avoid rock chips 12/4 - complete
  • PPF install to protect paint 12/8 - complete
  • Double coat wax 12/19-20 - complete
  • Test Tesla paint quality & PPF protection by having costco folding table fall from garage shelves onto hood 12/15 - complete :-0
My lovely wife comes in from the garage and says - “I did something really bad” with almost tears in her eyes and explains how the table slipped down from shelves when she was rearranging things and fell on the car.

What can you do…

So now have an appointment at end of Jan to fix our new car and then will need ppf reapplied to the affected sections.

Bummer but still love this thing.

View attachment 745304
Ugh, sorry to see that. This happened to my first Tesla. I walked into garage to find the fluorescent light cover had fallen from ceiling and put a 2” gouge in the middle of hood. $800 to repair at Tesla recommended body shop.

PS-and it wasn’t my spouse who changed the bulb couple of days before.

Reactions: Jabbahop
My big concern, there's a continuous sound of a pump/motor? running behind the passenger firewall ever since I parked it 2 days again. I periodically go to the garage, and it's always running. I've verified the comfort control system is off, and I set the Power to OFF., but the motor continues to run. I suspect that this continually running motor is contributing to the battery drain. However, not sure if the pump runs from the drive batteries or the 12 Volt accessory battery?

What's the temperature in your garage? It could be the battery coolant circulating to keep it warm.

sound of a pump/motor? running behind the passenger firewall
My LR also has low fan noise that seems to originate from top of hood on passenger side. It runs after I leave car, and sometimes on its own hours after I drive (but not constantly). Another forum member said there’s an evaporator for the HVAC that runs periodically. So I’m not worrying about it for now.

Is your Sentry mode turned on at home? That will drain 4% + per day.

Well, so far so good. I’ve had my new model S (replaced a 2013 model S) since Friday. After all the myriad horror stories, I was pleased to see no issues, cosmetic or otherwise of note.

two weird things which I’m assuming will resolve themselves…

1. Slacker radio doesn’t work. It won’t log in. The service center told Me when I picked it up that it just takes a couple days…
2. Not even sure if this is an issue but it seems odd to me. The car is new (had 15 miles on it when I accepted delivery) yet the software seems fairly old (2022.15.103). Is that typical? I’d have assumed a new car would be delivered with the latest software available.

as to the delivery process, it was a drastic change from when I picked up my 2013. In the former as a big deal, they insisted on taking a photo of me with me new vehicle, they showed me every feature and function even though I read the manual carefully before ever even ordering it.

in the case of this car, I showed up, they took the keys of my trade, checked it’s odometer and walked me out to the car and told me there were some forms to sign inside and to return them to them when I was done. That was it. I’m not saying I needed handholding, but I also hope that new owners (new to tesla) don’t get treated the same way.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Well, so far so good. I’ve had my new model S (replaced a 2013 model S) since Friday. After all the myriad horror stories, I was pleased to see no issues, cosmetic or otherwise of note.

two weird things which I’m assuming will resolve themselves…

1. Slacker radio doesn’t work. It won’t log in. The service center told Me when I picked it up that it just takes a couple days…
2. Not even sure if this is an issue but it seems odd to me. The car is new (had 15 miles on it when I accepted delivery) yet the software seems fairly old (2022.15.103). Is that typical? I’d have assumed a new car would be delivered with the latest software available.

as to the delivery process, it was a drastic change from when I picked up my 2013. In the former as a big deal, they insisted on taking a photo of me with me new vehicle, they showed me every feature and function even though I read the manual carefully before ever even ordering it.

in the case of this car, I showed up, they took the keys of my trade, checked it’s odometer and walked me out to the car and told me there were some forms to sign inside and to return them to them when I was done. That was it. I’m not saying I needed handholding, but I also hope that new owners (new to tesla) don’t get treated the same way.
Usually, the newer software will come in an update after a few weeks, so the "older" software is typical of new vehicles.
I had an S from 2015 and had the same treatment. Once Tesla started selling more cars (and then having vehicles that were top sellers) that personal touch was removed. Your latest experience is commonplace now.

just got this, so far so good. Def much better on fit and finish than my 2019 MX Luda, less squeaks, tighter alignment of body panel, feels much tighter inside overall.. although i noticed falling out weather seal on bottom of rear door (no big deal, ill silicone it in pace myself).. Tesla should have made soft close on this a must.. still need to get used to no stalks for turn signals.. not a huge fan on yolk but i can get used to it.. wheels incoming!

IMG_2897.jpg

Yes I remember getting the full tour and happy, respectful sales people in 2016. Time moves on and not knocking Tesla, ya just can't give the personal touch as much to millions of sales. When I bought mine I think they were still in the low 100,000's of sales. I was usually alone at most SPC's here in NY, now 6 chargers is barely enough in some places. I think about selling but just can't seem to part with my S despite the high prices being paid.

I find the interior parts and installation to be inferior to my 2015. Car was dirty, some damaged parts, transport damage to front, rear, aeroshield, and scrape on the battery pack.

Charge port door is the biggest issue. Poor design and part defective. 4 appointments to fix and all they did is break stuff.

If your door is functional, I don't recommend fixing it until the come out with a better charge port door.

Anything built or assembled by a robot seems to be fine.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Got the round steering wheel installed..however I don't see the yolk in my car..as i wasn't there when the install took place. Should the yolk be left behind..i think they have to put in another air bag...so I am not expecting that..but I thought for sure the yolk "shell" would have been placed in my car..thoughts?