Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OWNERS! - do you get awkward questions about price tag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why? cuz it's financially awkward, isn't it?

Yes but I think the awkwardness comes (with most folks) in not wanting them to feel badly. It's not that I feel guilty or anything. I understand not talking about it in some circles because of this.
We live outside of a very small 1 factory town. I've been in a bowling league with great friends for 20 years. Sometimes these guys don't have the 13 bucks to bowl on Thursday night and we have to get a sub. These guys will never own a new car, much less a new Model S.

Having said that; you can't really keep these things secret. Heck, I'm gonna drive the MS to bowling. They're gonna see it and ask about it and eventually drive/ride in it. They all know I live in a big house. They all know I own an airplane. They'll all know I have a Model S. We're still good friends. My dad always said "just because you were born on third base doesn't mean you hit a triple."

I've just found that a little humility goes a long way in preserving friendships when discussing/disclosing expensive purchases.

Bottom line: IF they ask, I tell. If not, I try to be the least obnoxious I can while still enjoying whatever material thing is in question.

Why? cuz it's financially awkward, isn't it?

No, not really. At least not here in Northern California. May be somewhat regional?

I have a lot of friends with minimal resources. I try as best as I can not to create perceived differences between myself and others around me. The car itself is just a small part of the picture.
In the case of the car, I talk about electric cars but don't really focus on just my car. Other electric cars such as Leaf, Volt or Prius may be more in their price range.

I have a lot of friends with minimal resources. I try as best as I can not to create perceived differences between myself and others around me. .

exactly! my point is that it's just the reverse angle of getting "the question". you said it's perfectly fine if someone asks you, but then say you purposely avoid even acknowledging that you own such an expensive car.

one coin, two sides

They're gonna see it and ask about it and eventually drive/ride in it. They all know I live in a big house. They all know I own an airplane. They'll all know I have a Model S. We're still good friends. [...] I've just found that a little humility goes a long way in preserving friendships when discussing/disclosing expensive purchases.

Agreed on all points, Al (including those not directly quoted here). But if I may... which airplane? As a fellow pilot based out of KFLL, I'm always curious.

Etiquette discussions with kinddog are just cracking me up. It's even funnier that he's right. :)

Amusing yes. Yes, he's probably right. However I think we're splitting hairs. When asked I communicate openly, and honestly. I tell the truth about what the car costs. I don't want to put words in Owners mouth, or feelings in his heart. My feeling from his posts is that any "awkwardness" comes from trying to spare other peoples feelings. This is human compassion. I've always found that compassion enhances social interconnection, friendship, and mutual respect.

This is human compassion. I've always found that compassion enhances social interconnection, friendship, and mutual respect.

i am nothing if not compassionate towards my fellow man. Albert Schweitzer once said: "The purpose of human life is to serve, and to show compassion and the will to help others." :smile:

i got "the question" the other day from a relative. it was actually the first time i've been asked. i hadn't rehearsed an answer, so this is what i riffed out: "they cost anywhere between $60-100k. honestly, mine's on the upper end of that scale, but I opted for a lot of sh*t you don't really need."

that seemed to satisfy him. he didn't press on after that for a specific figure.

i am nothing if not compassionate towards my fellow man. Albert Schweitzer once said: "The purpose of human life is to serve, and to show compassion and the will to help others." :smile:

I feel you dog. I really do.:smile:

i got "the question" the other day from a relative. it was actually the first time i've been asked. i hadn't rehearsed an answer, so this is what i riffed out: "they cost anywhere between $60-100k. honestly, mine's on the upper end of that scale, but I opted for a lot of sh*t you don't really need."

that seemed to satisfy him. he didn't press on after that for a specific figure.

Open and honest. Perfect!:smile:

Amusing yes. Yes, he's probably right. However I think we're splitting hairs. When asked I communicate openly, and honestly. I tell the truth about what the car costs. I don't want to put words in Owners mouth, or feelings in his heart. My feeling from his posts is that any "awkwardness" comes from trying to spare other peoples feelings. This is human compassion. I've always found that compassion enhances social interconnection, friendship, and mutual respect.

Al, I think you understand my sentiments. I have thought through and struggled with this issue in general for many years. At this point, I don't feel awkward. My money is self made. Although I don't know if that term is ever truly correct as the society at large provides an infrastructure to make that happen but I digress.

At what point do you hide or not enjoy your resources in order to avoid awkwardness or sparing other people's feelings? I don't buy things for the sake of showing off. And in comparison to the Roadster and a lot of other fancy cars, the Model S is under the radar here in Northern California.

I'm trying to reconcile the name kinddog with kinddog's photo...

Reflects my sentiments exactly. I also agree that this varies significantly by region.

My biggest reason for not being upfront is I don't need the extra drama it creates. The jokes about being a baller, paying for lunch, etc get old quickly. And I'll get a lot of that since my company now feels that hiring fresh, impressionable, out of college newbies will generate sales success (as opposed to guys like me that have real-world experience putting customers through production and getting product on store shelves).

I've worked hard to get where I am, and the MS is a reflection of how much work I've had to do, but I could do without the drama and office politics. :rolleyes: