Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OWNERS! - do you get awkward questions about price tag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There you go, ElSup. You just busted my position. :redface: Three kids, expensive house, and I finally came to the conclusion that I really can't afford Model S. Nevertheless, I plan to drive one in a car sharing initiative. Read on here. So when I get asked how much, I'll answer "Oh no, it's not mine! You want to rent it for a weekend?" :biggrin:

There you go, ElSup. You just busted my position. :redface: Three kids, expensive house, and I finally came to the conclusion that I really can't afford Model S. Nevertheless, I plan to drive one in a car sharing initiative. Read on here. So when I get asked how much, I'll answer "Oh no, it's not mine! You want to rent it for a weekend?" :biggrin:

I'll delete my post if you want. You can pretend you unheard it. :eek:

I get asked this question a LOT. A least a third of the time. I think I was a little put off the first few times, but I got over that years ago. I just roll with it.

With the Roadster I say it's $100k (close enough!). There's no real way of hiding that it's an exotic sports car.

With the Model S I say they start at $60k, and there's an $8500 rebate. I often get a "that's not so bad!" comment, at which time I point out the gas savings.

And that it really wasn't all that of a stretch to actually purchase one.... they all sort of lit up. I don't expect any of them to go out and buy one tomorrow. But they all got the picture.
CatMoney.jpg

lolcats - YouTube

I don't have the car yet, but I've already gotten "Really John? How much are you spending on a car?" from my Dad. I'm a little apprehensive about having the nicest car in the lot at work. Engineers typically drive crappy cars, dress in cheap clothes etc (no offense, we're just practical people in general). But like someone said earlier in this thread, everyone has a vice. I'm sure guys at work have boats or RVs, jetskis, quads whatever. I just like having a nice car, traveling and eating well. Anyways, my response will be like others have said, 50k for the base model.

I don't have the car yet, but I've already gotten "Really John? How much are you spending on a car?" from my Dad. I'm a little apprehensive about having the nicest car in the lot at work. Engineers typically drive crappy cars, dress in cheap clothes etc (no offense, we're just practical people in general). But like someone said earlier in this thread, everyone has a vice. I'm sure guys at work have boats or RVs, jetskis, quads whatever. I just like having a nice car, traveling and eating well. Anyways, my response will be like others have said, 50k for the base model.

I got the exact same comment from my dad a while back. I CAN'T WAIT to take him for a ride in a couple of weeks when they visit :)

My dad was an engineer and an early adopter. He didn't like to flaunt his money but he always bought the best he could afford and planned to keep it forever.

I'm an engineer and an early adopter, and I wish I could share the Model S experience with my dad. He would 'get it', and I can see the Tesla Grin on his face, even though he's been gone eight years.

I'll agree about engineers driving cheap cars (or 'transport units' as I call them). I admit to wearing cheap clothes (I am an engineer, to work at least), but not cheap shoes. I too love having a nice car. I have been infatuated with cars since I was 12 or 13.

I got the exact same comment from my dad a while back. I CAN'T WAIT to take him for a ride in a couple of weeks when they visit :)

Wow both of you, my dad (also an engineer) up sold me when I talked to him (after he actually looked at what a Model S was). He kept saying get what you really want, so you won't buy a better one in 6 years. So TCO he was trying to save me money, but my loan value went WAY up.

I've already gotten "Really John? How much are you spending on a car?" from my Dad.
I got a similar reaction from my Dad initially (in fact, my name is also John). I think he actually said something like "Wow, you could buy two Mustangs for that." I inherited a love of Mustangs (and Corvettes) from him. He was skeptical for a while, but then when he saw the Motor Trend article, he was on board, and once I gave him a ride in it, he started talking about getting one himself. :)

Engineers typically drive crappy cars, dress in cheap clothes etc (no offense, we're just practical people in general).

Very true. In fact, before the S, these were the cars I'd owned:
1999-2003: '89 Chevy S-10 ($800)
2003-2005: '00 Dodge Dakota ($8000)
2005-2008: '00 Mazda Protege ($6000)
2008-2013: '97 Chevy S-10 ($4000)

The Dakota is what I bought after college and a couple years of saving up at my entry level job. Since then, I spent less and less, despite my increasing salary, because I had my sights set on something really nice, and I didn't want to have a car payment slowing down my savings rate.

Btw, I see the S as an odd mix of luxury and practicality rolled into one. I would never have considered buying a BMW or a Lexus, but I just couldn't wait for GenIII.

As for what I say when people ask, it varies depending on the company, but I've usually just given a basic price range ($50k-$100k+) and tried to leave it at that. After reading through all these posts, I'm a little more comfortable addressing it more specifically, but I also like the comparison to a BMW 5-series, followed quickly by a comment about how much cheaper it is to operate/maintain.

Yes I get awkward questions. I hate it, because I do not like sharing these sorts of details, and aside from the Model S which I now drive, there is little other indication of such things in my life as to how much money I have or how I choose to spend it.

I know it's not a problem for some people here, as the circle of people you are around and the way your Model S fits into your life as not being different from whatever car you owned before or whatever.

However, as you know, there are many people here who have said they would have never bought such an expensive car. My Model S was $90k, and previously, I would not have even considered a car that is $50k, and I didn't need a new car anyway.

At work, some of my friends know, but it's not a big deal, as we are all in the same field and probably making around the same money. However, since this is my car, well, I use it and drive it, so people are going to see it. So I end up showing the car to other people outside of work that I know when they ask, and being under 30, I do have some akward conversations with other people that are in my age range. I hate when they ask how much it costs. I feel so weird trying to dodge the question, and am usually not successful anyway, because they usually persist. Yeah, they could figure it out themselves, but most people wouldn't bother to look it up later as they're not THAT interested. I don't get what's with people sometimes. Most people older than me that I have talked to about the car have had the tact not to ask me how much it costs, but a lot of people around my age ask, even when, if they have any social knowledge at all, it should be obvious that I would rather not answer.

Tell them proudly.

You worked hard, you made good decisions, you are successful. Be proud for what you have achieved in your life with your own two hands. Celebrate success, don't be embarrassed. Haters will be haters.

Don't apologize for anything or to anybody. America needs more people like you and less on welfare and food stamps.

I don't apologize, and I'm not embarrased about my situation, but the truth is, you can't stop people from thinking certain things, or treating you a certain way, and sometimes that's not ideal for you. So sometimes the best option is to avoid such situations in the first place, because realistically, you're not going to fix the world or change everyone's minds.

I say the following:

"Here's how I paid for it... first, the US gives us $7,500 in a tax credit on federal taxes; Illinois (as broke as we are) gives us $4,000 in a rebate. I'll save $40,000 over 150,000 miles in gasoline compared to my Suburban or Traverse. So now the car comes down to about $50,000 - as well-configured as it is. Normally, I keep cars for 5 years or so; instead, I stretched my Suburban to nearly 10 years now, and my wife stretched her Imapala to 8 years...so rather than buy new cars, we saved the dollars and invested them in this car. I'm still making an investment in our future -- in electric cars -- but in a few years, Tesla will have this down to a car that practically pays for itself over the life of it."

I love your answer but, how did you get the $40k. Your suburban must do 10 mpg.