Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owning a Tesla in Michigan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I am a prospective Tesla owner and I was wondering if any current Tesla owners in Michigan could help answer a couple questions. Do you notice any issues with the public and owning a Tesla in Michigan for being the home of the Big 3? Do you think it would be an issue working for one of the Big 3 and buying a Tesla?

Thanks!

• Disagree
Reactions: Bgarret
Every few months, someone will give me a thumbs-up when I'm driving my Model S in Michigan. I've been stopped in parking lots multiple times by people who have questions about the car, or just want to say "great car!" So no, I have no concerns.

Can't say anything about working for the big 3 and driving a Tesla. Would you be concerned about driving a Toyota, Honda, VW, BMW, Hyundai or Nissan? And Tesla is an American company.

Reactions: Tiger
I would agree with megawizz. I am from a Ford family - my father retired from Ford, I retired from Ford with over 35 years each. There are a few who question my loyalty to Ford, but not many. My explanation is if you really want to help legacy companies from self inflicted harm by not building electric vehicles, you will stop buying what they make just because it is all that is offered. Its the only kind way to treat them until they see the light. Depending on where you work in the system, you will usually get a lot of interest from legacy employees and a chance to educate.

Reactions: jschwefel
“...Do you think it would be an issue working for one of the Big 3 and buying a Tesla?”

Only GM has anything remotely competitive in the Big 3, and GM can’t offer a nationwide charging solution for long trips. If you work for GM you could simply say that visiting family out-of-town and taking vacations is important to you - when a charging infrastructure is in place you will seriously look at what GM offers.

Every few months, someone will give me a thumbs-up when I'm driving my Model S in Michigan. I've been stopped in parking lots multiple times by people who have questions about the car, or just want to say "great car!" So no, I have no concerns.

This is my experience as well. I just had a half hour conversation with someone in a restaurant here the other day because they were asking who owned the Tesla in the parking lot. He had a ton of the "usual" questions that we get used to answering...but was very interested in the car. I've had really all positive experiences with the public in the state.

Also worth considering is that the Tesla brand has a definite "cool" factor to it. They just blasted one out into space recently...all the young kids love the car. Both of my daughters friends go crazy with their social media stuff when they get in the car. I can't tell you how many selfies people have taken with the all glass roof in the background.

Not that I got the car for any of those reasons ( the deciding factor for me was actually driving it ) but I'm certainly OK with people fawning over the car. They're expensive, so might as well have people appreciate your decision. :)

Reactions: jschwefel
Hello everyone, I am a potential new Tesla member. I've read many of the blogs and have heard all great things about the model X and Tesla as a whole. I love the idea of not having to ever visit a gas station again. I've owned my current SUV for 10 years and I generally keep my cars for a looooong time. My concern is running into a bunch of issues one my warranty expires. Have anyone experienced costly repairs after your warranty expired?

My concern is running into a bunch of issues one my warranty expires. Have anyone experienced costly repairs after your warranty expired?

My car is still under warranty, but I did look into this prior to buying as well. One of the things that eased my mind was that they have been making MS cars for about six years prior to my getting mine so there's been quite a good track record of them being on the road. Also, there are some extreme use cases that show the durability of the vehicle. take for instance the "taxi service" Tesloop that drives people back and forth between LA and Vegas. I believe I read that they put on an insane 300,000 miles on their car and had only minor repairs during that time.

The other thing to note is that most S and X vehicles come with an 8 year and unlimited mile warranty on the power train (batteries and motors) so there's that too. Do check on that though, but I believe that is still the case.

FWIW I've had my car just over a year now, have put on over 26,000 miles and I've only had to have a mirror replaced (because it was not folding out all the way some of the time). It still drives like a dream.

I work for the big 3 and own a Model S. I get some *sugar* for it but none of them make the segment that Tesla makes. I wanted a fast electric sedan and my company didn't offer that. I bought 3 cars in 3 years from my company so I don't feel bad. Also the charging infrastructure is the biggest thing... that seems light years away from Tesla.

Hello everyone, I am a potential new Tesla member. I've read many of the blogs and have heard all great things about the model X and Tesla as a whole. I love the idea of not having to ever visit a gas station again. I've owned my current SUV for 10 years and I generally keep my cars for a looooong time. My concern is running into a bunch of issues one my warranty expires. Have anyone experienced costly repairs after your warranty expired?
I’m an early Model S owner, 2012 build, with over 90k miles. I decided not to purchase the extended warranty for $4k, and so far I’m happy I didn’t. Tesla Service has been great to work with and fair on pricing repairs. They’ve even covered a few things outside warranty, like replacing the entire hood because of a small area in the corner where the paint bubbled due to corrosion underneath. I still can’t believe they did that. I did have to replace the main charger about six months ago; that cost about $1700 for a remanufactured unit. Granted, that’s not cheap, and it’s more than I spent on my previous ICE cars, but I’m never going back. Only time will tell what the total cost of ownership will be, but for now I’m planning on keeping the “old” Model S while my wife drives the Model 3. Electric is the way to go and Tesla has earned my loyalty.

Reactions: Brian-MS90D