Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P for $69,000?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on a recent Electrek post, the Tesla Model 3 Performance trim was at one time $69,000. That is not reflected in my graph below. Unfortunately I was not tracking prices in 2018 as closely as 2019.

Tesla Model 3 Base Price History (3).png

I want to update the graph to include the the time frame of when the Tesla Model 3 Performance trim could be ordered at $69,000 as a base price. Does anyone know when this happened? Feel free to see the graph, data, and references at Google Sheets. Below is some references:

May 20, 2018: Introduction of P at $78,000
https://electrek.co/2018/05/20/tesl...el-3-dual-motor-awd-and-performance-versions/

June 26, 2018: $78,000 price reduced to $64,000 with de-bundle of options
Tesla updates Model 3 options and pricing, dual motor becomes cheaper, adds color, and more - Electrek

August, 2, 2018: P is $64,000 in image
Tesla increases price of Model 3 Dual Motor and a few other options - Electrek

September 10, 2018: P is $64,000 in image
Tesla increases price of Model 3 Dual Motor AWD again - Electrek

October 26, 2018: P was $69,000, now $64,000 with Performance Upgrades Package included. This data point confuses me.
Tesla reduces price of Model 3 Performance [Updated: Elon Musk makes it right] - Electrek

• Informative
Reactions: Kuhz and pk44FG
You probably need to break out P3D Stealth and P3D+ separately I guess?

As I recall, right around that October 26th date it became no longer possible to get the P3D Stealth. So before that date, there were two Performance cars separated in price by $5k. Then on that date, the lower trim level was dropped entirely, but the price of the upper trim level (PUP) dropped to that of the non non-existent lower trim level (no PUP).

The people who ordered before the FUSC expiration deadline (September 18th), but taking delivery after October 26th became super-gifted - they got the price break and the free unlimited supercharging. They no longer seem quite so gifted of course with the killer P3D+ deals now available.

If you search for flowchart and $5k refund you’ll find a complicated diagram of how the logistics worked. But it may be hard to determine actual prices from that.

I know they de-coupled the PUP as a 5k add on when they lowered the base price to 64k then checkboxing the PUP made it 69k but I don't recall 69k ever being the base price. I'm pretty sure it was a big jump down from 78k. I think Fred at Electrek is simply mistaken about this. It's crazy to think at one point, some fully loaded configs of the P were easily over 80k.

I know they de-coupled the PUP as a 5k add on when they lowered the base price to 64k then checkboxing the PUP made it 69k but I don't recall 69k ever being the base price. I'm pretty sure it was a big jump down from 78k. I think Fred at Electrek is simply mistaken about this. It's crazy to think at one point, some fully loaded configs of the P were easily over 80k.

Agreed, I am leaning to $64K as the base price with the $5K PUP added for comparison. As I am only tracking "base price", the difference between P+ vs P- will not be tracked. Thank you.

I bought Sept 18, got 7500 tax credit and then got the 5k rebate in exchange for unlimited supercharging after the price dropped. Totally happy. :)

Same here. My cost analysis from another post. For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

Original purchase date for P3D Stealth was Sept 2018 at $70,000 which included EAP and Obsidian Black. Now minus $5,000 for the refund Tesla provided to P owners. Another $5,625 in fed tax credit savings then vs now. Which brings us to $59375.

Similarly spec'd out Solid Black P3D stealth is $56,740 now with FSD (no more EAP but basically the same functions as of today).

Key differences are 1) I still have track mode and 2) I don't have all the future FSD features over EAP, 3) Obsidian black vs Solid black 4) and free premium lifetime LTE

This was the closest apples to apples comparison for me and only paid $2,635 more than what I would be paying today. I'll write that off on depreciation. The enjoyment and exhilaration of driving this beast the last 10 months was well worth it.

To keep the other tread on topic, I moved my response here.
Yeah, I know you asked for clarification - I did try to clarify what happened in that other thread for you. It is super confusing so not surprised it's a bit hard to get straight.

In late October 2018 P3D+ became a mandatory option. Prior to that it was two distinct Performance models. I would argue that probably you should just track the "top line" P3D+ model minus any options, since that has always been available. The P3D Stealth comes and goes.

In addition, excluding driver assistance options (specifically the AP, EAP, and FSD options) is perilous for these comparisons, because Tesla is playing a bit of a game with these, including them in base price, then increasing FSD price while reducing base price (to try to get takers I would think). So to get the true picture I think you have to include the FSD price. But it is hard to say - depends on your goals.

You definitely need to find a way to account for the value of FUSC on the P3D Stealth /P3D+ models when plotting the pricing. The value of that for most buyers (order prior to ~September 18th 2018) was $5k. The value is $5k because P3D buyers who had it could give it back and get $5k from Tesla.

It's a tricky thing you're trying to get a handle on. Thanks for doing it!

I want to provide reference links to any price changes in the data graph as proof of the changes. The tricky part is finding a published account (outside of message boards) of the mandatory time frame where the (P-PUP) PD3+ was required.

The October 26, 2018 Tesla reduces price of Model 3 Performance [Updated: Elon Musk makes it right] - Electrek article may be used as the end date of the $5,000 increase. But I would need to find the appropriate price increase article with date. Sometime between September 10, 2018 and October 26, 2018.