Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D, 760HP and Performance Tests

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wondered why the 1/4 time wasn't better. Not much difference once you get 95 mph. Power starts dropping off at about 75 mph. Plus the 90 has more power between 15 and 35 mph

The X-axis is the velocity, not the time. And I think one needs to be careful about comparing the amount of power available at a given speed.

So if one were to look at the power profile, with time on the X-axis, the two power profiles would compare quite differently.

For example: It stands to reason that when the P100DL reaches 35 mph, less time has passed than when the P90DL does.

So I could imagine that with time on the X-axis the power profile of the P90DL would not go so significantly above the P100DL.

So it would be interesting to see the power with time on the X-axis.

Reactions: Cloxxki
The X-axis is the velocity, not the time. And I think one needs to be careful about comparing the amount of power available at a given speed.

So if one were to look at the power profile, with time on the X-axis, the two power profiles would compare quite differently.

For example: It stands to reason that when the P100DL reaches 35 mph, less time has passed than when the P90DL does.

So I could imagine that with time on the X-axis the power profile of the P90DL would not go so significantly above the P100DL.

So it would be interesting to see the power with time on the X-axis.
If the power is greater at the same rpm the torque must be greater. If the torque is greater the acceleration is greater. If the acceleration is greater the speed is greater at the same time. So the speed is increasing more rapidly for the p90d. The plot shows that dpower/dspeed is greater for the P90D. And Dspeed/Dtime is also greater, aka acceleration. So dpower/dspeed * dspeed/dtime = dpower/dtime is geater.

If the power is greater at the same rpm the torque must be greater. If the torque is greater the acceleration is greater. If the acceleration is greater the speed is greater at the same time. So the speed is increasing more rapidly for the p90d. The plot shows that dpower/dspeed is greater for the P90D. And Dspeed/Dtime is also greater, aka acceleration. So dpower/dspeed * dspeed/dtime = dpower/dtime is geater.
Yeah, that sounds like dright answer. I suspect the TRC car was a ringer anyway. What, too soon? :)

Might be time to send those scales in for service. On his car the left front was 160 lbs heavier than the right front. On this car there is a 475 lb difference. Or if the ground is that far out of level, the weights probably aren't accurate.
The front to rear weight distribution is backwards, too.
I was also surprised by the front left and front right weight distribution. Is all Tesla like that?

By the way, I don't think the front and rear weight distribution has any issues here. Tesla cars are always slightly rear weight biased, which is the case here.

my observations

looks like the car lost 9 miles of range after the launch

crazy how the car traps 6mph higher than your old P90 DL

curious as to if there is a difference between the P85D, P90DL drive unit and the P100D drive unit. I want to know how much more power these motors can handle before they are at the breaking point.
the limitation has never been the motors. It is the delivery of electric power from the battery without overheating.

I added a graph of the P100DL vs P90DL v3 (the TRC car)

Tesla-P100DL-vs-P90DLv3-power-output-graph.jpg
There were a lot of P90DL v2 cars that can reach 510 to 512 kw. Kind of makes me wonder why the Tesla Racing Channel P90DL v3 only makes 500 kw at max, and this is the car that makes 10.80 sec 1/4 mile. Something doesn't add up here.

Taking a second look at this chart I'd guess that motor cooling is the limiting factor not battery cooling, the batteries have a ton of thermal mass relative to the motors and the area under the two curves prior to fade looks about the same when adjusted for the fact that heating is proportional to the square of current.

Edit: I see this was already pointed out above.
are you guys sure that it is the motor that is over-heating, but not the battery?

Question, how does the P100DL 'only' get a 10.7s 1/4 time when the Tesla Racing Channels P90DL does a 10.8s. Isn't it 567kwh vs ~512kwh?
this car has 19 inch all season tires and extra weight from ultra-high fidelity sound system. You should look at these two videos for more comparable apple-to-apple comparison.

The fastest P90DL v3 with all season tires run 0-60 in 2.65 second, 0-100 in 7.06 second, and 1/4 mile in 11.03. Quite a bit slower than all the numbers we see with the new P100DL.
P100DL with all season tires runs 0-60 in 2.54 second, 0-100 in 6.52 second (HUGE improvement here), and 1/4 mile in 10.78 second. I am pretty sure P100DL with the right specs and min weight can achieve 10.6x second 1/4 mile.

Last edited:
In the video he first says 10.8. That's probably the rounded version the vbox displays. The saved data has more resolution, but It's probably still close to 10.8. If you look at the superimposed power curves he posted earlier, the max power is only available briefly before it starts to get pulled back. It also looks like the p90d's power comes on more quickly at the beginning of the run. They may be bringing the power in more slowly so that that they can keep it at max longer before having to start pulling it back.

Trc's car was real close to 10.7's. One of his runs was 10.803.
the power (kw) curve that he posts did NOT come from the vbox. Vbox doesn't have access to the internal car system to see how much power the battery is making. The graph is from an Apple app measured with iphone.

the power (kw) curve that he posts did NOT come from the vbox. Vbox doesn't have access to the internal car system to see how much power the battery is making. The graph is from an Apple app measured with iphone.
I wasn't talking about the power curves there. I was talking about when he first mentions the quarter mile time in the video. When I talk about the power curves, it is in answer to the question of why the quarter mile time wasn't faster.

It is already proven that Tesla with 21 performance tire is faster than 19 inch with all season tires.
That's why I said current theory. Every time I propose an argument for why the 21" wheels should be faster, sorka chimes in with the pre-programmed torque curve stuff. I have 19" summer tires on my p90dl and have done some acceleration runs. I also have a P85+ with staggered 21" wheels that I am going to move over to the P90DL. We'll see if it makes any difference.

Where is it proven?