Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D, 760HP and Performance Tests

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have been doing that every few months since introduction of Dual Motors....can anyone say P85D w/ INSANE mode? Pre-AP cars had YEARS of being relevant, but now you only get a couple of months to be king of the mountain, innovation is the only thing that matters to TM.

It was like that pre-D cars as well, though maybe not as significant post-D reveal. P85 to P85+, parking sensors, folding mirrors, subzero package, tacc, "D", and on and on.

Reactions: davidc18
A couple of interesting observations from the video:
1) The center console comes with rear cup holder and rear USB ports, hope it is not a P100D special
2) At the end of video, the guy sat in a car with pano roof, and talked about "this car", while it was clearly stated earlier in the video that "this car" does not have pano roof.

1- There are threads showing the new cupholders and USB in recent NON-P model S's.
2- that's the OP (fiksegts aka dragtimes) sitting in his P90DL while he was talking about the blue P100D (NDR's P100?)

Tesla batteries are "overcharged" when new so they all show more range than specified.

I'm curious to hear the rationale behind this. AFAIK, all packs are charged to a cell voltage, which is correlated to some battery percentage. The actual capacity (shown in RM) is calculated by some pretty sophisticated algo's that I'm not sure anyone besides Tesla fully understands.

Tesla batteries are "overcharged" when new so they all show more range than specified.

What does this mean? Tesla sometimes does a 100% range charge on the pack prior to delivery but I'm not sure what "overcharged" means.

Also, just a small request, do you mind not bolding your entire post? If you are trying to emphasize something, it sort of loses its value/effect if the entire sentence is bolded.

I think he's referring to how when Tesla's are first delivered, their 100% charge is often quite a bit greater than the EPA number. My 265 EPA rated P85 charged to 272 miles on the first day I got it. I was told it has to do with the range algorithm calibrating. After a week or 2 it settled to 265.

I added a graph of the P100DL vs P90DL v3 (the TRC car)

Tesla-P100DL-vs-P90DLv3-power-output-graph.jpg
Taking a second look at this chart I'd guess that motor cooling is the limiting factor not battery cooling, the batteries have a ton of thermal mass relative to the motors and the area under the two curves prior to fade looks about the same when adjusted for the fact that heating is proportional to the square of current.

Edit: I see this was already pointed out above.

Last edited:
Likely area under the power curve taking into account things like motor heating power pull back. Just guessing.

We will know a lot more when the cars start showing up at the strip and people post time slips. Hopefully fiks can get this car to the track before he looses access. If not, I'm certain his car will make it to the track once delivered.

Question, how does the P100DL 'only' get a 10.7s 1/4 time when the Tesla Racing Channels P90DL does a 10.8s. Isn't it 567kwh vs ~512kwh?
In the video he first says 10.8. That's probably the rounded version the vbox displays. The saved data has more resolution, but It's probably still close to 10.8. If you look at the superimposed power curves he posted earlier, the max power is only available briefly before it starts to get pulled back. It also looks like the p90d's power comes on more quickly at the beginning of the run. They may be bringing the power in more slowly so that that they can keep it at max longer before having to start pulling it back.

Trc's car was real close to 10.7's. One of his runs was 10.803.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mdevp