Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D Delivery Disaster, trying to resolve it with Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also received pressure prior to delivery to start making payments and covering the car on my insurance. Those were red flags, and despite lots of complaints from Tesla staff, I made it clear they can f right off until the car is on-site and I have inspected it.

Until you have accepted delivery, you have negotiating leverage...once you sign everything you are very weakened.

If Tesla is serious about changing the dealership game, they need to do better than this. These are the reasons why people are rightfully skeptical of sight unseen purchases.

I also received pressure prior to delivery to start making payments and covering the car on my insurance. Those were red flags, and despite lots of complaints from Tesla staff, I made it clear they can f right off until the car is on-site and I have inspected it.

Until you have accepted delivery, you have negotiating leverage...once you sign everything you are very weakened.

If Tesla is serious about changing the dealership game, they need to do better than this. These are the reasons why people are rightfully skeptical of sight unseen purchases.

You did the right thing and I learned my lesson the hard way. I guess I just never imagined being in this position with such a progressive and forward thinking company. Hopefully it all works out for me but you are right, I wouldn't even be in this situation if I had done what you did.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Jon responded to my message. Thank you guys so much for all your help. I have made more progress in a few hours here than I have in almost two months. Hopefully he can get this resolved for me and I can be a proud Tesla owner.
Best of luck to you! Post pics with your new car when it's parked in your driveway :).

I find it implausible that anyone would use an abrasive tool on taillight lenses. Maybe the car was scratched in transport while going through a sandstorm?

More likely that it was damaged in transport by whomever transported it and then tried to cover it up quickly without a lot of time. I seriously doubt Tesla itself had anything to do with it.

Glad I picked mine up at the factory which I would have done even if I live on the other side of the country.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
This has been very enlightening.
Number 1 lesson learned: Do not title a vehicle until it is delivered, inspected and accepted.
I would think the loan company would have an opinion .... the car may not be worth what is due?

I live in the west and have seen several truckloads of new Tesla automobiles on the highway, unprotected on open car carrier. I assume Tesla contracts with car-carrier companies .... without knowing all the details, they seem to be the culprit.
Dust storms are quite common in desert California and Nevada.

Personally, I'd want a $167,000 automobile transported to Florida in a closed trailer .... even if I had to pay for it myself.
A friend bought a 1957 Chevy 2d hardtop (black, chrome side, absolutely beautiful) and transported if from Utah to Virginia by a custom car carrier. I was present when it was off-loaded .... it was pristine.

Sounds like they had the OP pay in June and it would count as a Q2 sale, even if delivered in July.

This minus the paint is starting to sound familiar. I also paid in advance and signed docs 6/26. Was told that car had to be off Tesla property and could not take delivery at SC so they could count it as delivered in Q2. Car took long time to get from Texas(inventory). They also said it went to a third party detailer before shipment. Took a while, but I got my Tesla grin shortly thereafter. Even though this is a hair pulling out moment. You will also be sporting a Tesla grin after all this is taking care of. Which it will be.

For some of us (me included) that jumped on you . Well apologies are in order. Many of us have read some of these stories before that are nothing more than a s*** show. You on the other hand seem pretty even keeled about the issue after many follow up posts.

My guess as well that Tesla had no idea or clue what happened to car. I told my delivery team in Florida that if my car arrived in Michigan in any other form other than perfect it would be refused just like a FedEx or UPS package damaged on arrival. I guess I did sign docs essentially titling the car. So if there was an issue like yours it would be a big loss to Tesla. I don't think you can undo the fact that someone else titled car. It becomes a CPO or a SC loaner maybe. I would love a P100 loaner:). Not a lawyer, but the element of actually receiving the car is the big thing I would guess. Once that happens......

Now an autonomous Tesla Semi loaded with Teslas. Then it would all be on Tesla then........

• Funny
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Man, ya'll are sharks around here lately. This is the most civil "new-owner-pissed-about-quality" post I've seen in awhile. And he's not posting pics for a good reason. What are you all gonna do with the pics if you got them? How could seeing it put him in a better or worse position?

Dude was merely asking how to go up the chain, which for someone who doesn't frequent these forums, is a pretty hard task. Tesla's got the SVC walls built pretty high.

@OP you did the right thing, ping @JonMc he's the only guy HERE who could help you, short of everyone else here flapping their arms after you post the pics (which helps no one)
The problem with this guy's post is that there are several things that don't make sense.
First, register the car and start insurance before he gets it? This is just not done... must be something else going on here.
Second, shipped to his house on a trailer from California?
Third, paint swirls but no pictures?

We're not getting the whole story....

First, register the car and start insurance before he gets it? This is just not done... must be something else going on here.

Well I did it. So it does happen. My trailer came from Texas. Two other MS in it. Headed to O'hare to be flown out of country. Quarter ending deliveries are strange for sure.

The starting of the insurance is done probably at the request of lender or the fact that it is usually a law to have a car insured upon delivery in many states. I had to adjust my dates twice as delivery times were a changing. Also on mytesla prior to delivery Tesla wants you to upload docs like Drivers License and Proof of insurance.

• Informative
Reactions: sdorn and Ormond
The problem with this guy's post is that there are several things that don't make sense.

BMW makes you do it, when you order new from overseas so you take the import tax hit. Insuring a car that you registered is the law in California, perhaps other places as well, who knows.

Shipping to house is normal too, i think its one of those "you want this shipped to your house or you wanna come get it" kinda questions. But we've seen home deliveries here plenty.

Yeah paint swirls would be cool to see, but we already know that Tesla paint is literal dogshit due to California low VOC laws... Shitty low VOC paint -> meet long haul open air truck ride :(

Yes they told me I had to get insurance and do all paperwork and that was before I got it. Shipping was from California to the service center in Orlando where it was prepped and then taken on a flat bed to me.

Sounds like they had the OP pay in June and it would count as a Q2 sale, even if delivered in July.

This makes sense. Although according to Generally Accepted Accounting Practices, I don't think it was the advance payment, but rather that the OP took title, insurance, etc, that allowed Tesla to recognize the sale. Perhaps it also enable the local team to get a Q2 bonus?

Don't let the short sellers hear about this. ;-)

Last edited:
This makes no sense at all... Pics or it simply didn't happen... You're reasoning for not providing them also makes zero sense... Tesla sure has had it's share of delivery issues over the years, no doubt, but what you're describing doesn't follow any existing pattern that I could think of...

You absolutely may have a point, and you absolutely may be right, but the claims you're making are pretty serious and without photographic evidence, they seem way pretty hard to believe...

Jeff

This makes no sense at all... Pics or it simply didn't happen... You're reasoning for not providing them also makes zero sense... Tesla sure has had it's share of delivery issues over the years, no doubt, but what you're describing doesn't follow any existing pattern that I could think of...

You absolutely may have a point, and you absolutely may be right, but the claims you're making are pretty serious and without photographic evidence, they seem way pretty hard to believe...

Jeff
Understandable and I would probably think it was an exaggeration as well if I were in your shoes. I mean hell when I called my best friend right after they took it off the flatbed he said "It can't be that bad". Then he drove over and said "Holy S***". Jon is going to get the pictures and he is really the only one that needs to believe me.